Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Not a Tele - but how can I make it a bit more like one?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jasonbrianmerrill, Jun 25, 2018.

1. jasonbrianmerrill

jasonbrianmerrill TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2018
    hawley pa
    I really hope I have posted this in an acceptable place. I have this squire 51 -

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/club-51-the-squier-51-owners-club.172817/page-58#post-8445318

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hj6slkwz7vfjtln/AABNVrWrOH3kA8MEryi3zi3ya?dl=0

And it plays VERY nice - I just don't totally like the sound of the pickups - at least I'm thinking it's the pickups. Here's some quick and dirty playing DI into a focusrite -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60pwhdj2moqccun/2018-06-24000.wav?dl=0

to me, it just sounds very very bright and a little thin - is this a pickup thing? Also it has no pullable pot for split coil. i thought it was supposed to have it.

I got a push pull pot - but how can I make this a bit more like a tele? I realize of course, that a 150 dollar guitar with a different pickup config won't sound like it - however, I just want to make this guitar more "full" - if I can.

I want to have a humbucker in the bridge that can be split - I want the tele B/N pickup combo, and I want a nice neck pickup for leads.

any thoughts? Please move if needed :)

2. jasonbrianmerrill

Jun 25, 2018
    hawley pa

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Try different cap values towards the treble, try a bucker with tall thin coils. Maybe a filtertron.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

First test: Lower the bridge pickup to the trim ring/pickguard (careful to not let it fall off the elevator screws or you'll have to take the strings off/etc to get it back on). Does that mellow it out?

Second test: raise the screw poles up but keep them level to each other. This may take you brighter again but you'll get more of a single coil Tele (or P90) kind of vibe from it.

Get a longer cable from the guitar to the amp like a 20ft one. This will increase the capacitance and darken your tone.

Measure the volume pot actual kohms across the outer two lugs, you likely have a 500k nominal stamped pot that reads in the upper tolerance range. Either find a fixed resistor around 470k or swap the pot out for one you find measures lower kohms as the spec can go 450k on the low end and still be factory ok. Or grab a 250k pot and try that. The fixed resistor trick is the least expensive and you can try several different ones until you get the tone you want.

Of course, you can always turn the tone knob on the guitar or amp slightly to even it out.

As for splitting the humbucker, you'll need to either see three or four wires coming off it or you will have to dismantle the pickup and add another pair of wires. It's not a difficult task just a bit fiddly.

5. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    You can swap out parts until you are blue in the face, but that guitar will never sound like a Tele.

nojazzhere likes this.

6. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I would imagine you could make it sound "like" a tele. Just not "exactly like" a tele. But if the OP wanted a tele is it not that much more to buy a used MIM tele rather than going to the expense and hassle of after market parts that do not guarantee satisfactory results? I think if you want a tele, you buy a tele.

dotpc likes this.

7. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Just me but I think the '51 has a sound and a style of its own.

My '51 is virtually stock apart from the pickguard, the nut and the bridge saddles.

I find it a very versatile guitar as it is.

The bridge pickup is a cross twixt a P90 and a humbucker, the neck pickup does funk and bluesy stuff well, the between setting is a sound of its own.

It's your guitar though.

johio likes this.

8. jasonbrianmerrill

Jun 25, 2018
    hawley pa
    I KNOW it won't be a tele. That wasn't the point. The other responses have been very helpful and informative. :)

9. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    It's too bright and thin and you want it to sound fuller. And you say you want it to sound like a tele. Well, teles tend to sound bright and thin and splitting the humbucker is going to make it sound even brighter, so it's not clear where you're trying to go with this. Post some examples of what you want it to sound like.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't know what kind of switch is installed in the Squier 51, but if it's a 3-way switch, you could consider a 4-way. On a telecaster that gives a nice full sound (at least on those in my collection that have one). I agree that a coil split will not achieve this.

If a guitar sounds too bright, there is also a very nice invention you could install if it isn't already there: a tone pot :eek: (you could install a nice knob on top too). If you don't want to do that there are many wiring experts that could suggest a combination of resistors and capacitors that you could buy literally for pennies that could really make the guitar sound "darker". (which is a path that I follow more and more, sooner or later I might end up on the "dark side of the force" o_O (for the non-nerds/geeks here: Star Wars reference))

The combination of those two solves the bright sound (with a tone knob) and the thinny sound (with the 4-th position of the switch)...

You could take the "swap the pickups until you accidentally find the right combination"-route too. Of course not all pickups are the same quality and there are soo many sounds to choose from. I don't mind pickup changes, if I already know which ones I'd like. Swapping pickups in an undefined quest to some holy grail sound will probably not only cost a lot of money, it could be a very unsatisfying and unreachable goal in life.

In the end: if you really want it to sound like a tele, buy a tele. :twisted:

11. jasonbrianmerrill

Jun 25, 2018
    hawley pa
    Jesus christ people. haha you guys are relentless.

I have a tone pot and some orange cap in there - not sure what it does. I'm gonna wire it up today. It will be fun. :)

nicod98 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.