Not a professional musician? What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deathray, May 20, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of IT people here. It looks like guitar is an outlet from the nonsense or tech heavy work we do.

LocoTex, Rowdyman, DonM and 3 others like this.
  2. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I gave up on music when I was in my late 20's, tired of being broke all the time, driving a crappy car and needing dental work. I got a corporate job as a Claims Adjuster. Fast forward 10 years later I had been promoted several times to a Litigation Manager, which is a desirable position within Claims. But during that time, I relocated and nearly stopped playing music, entirely. Eventually the quiet desperation got the best of me and I had a basically a mid life crisis at 37, quitting my job with no plan in sight; just had to break free. Started playing music again.

Now I'm playing music professionally, making what I consider to be great money for a local sideman musician which still isn't nearly enough to support a family at a modest middle class level these days. So I do independent Claims Adjusting work on a part time basis. It's a gig that has freedom so that I can take days off when I need to, sleep in after late night gigs, etc. Together, it's a enough to pay the bills, provide a nice upbringing for my child, and to buy lots of gear I don't really need.

Funny though, I still feel like I should be living a life of toil, waking up early, working all day, saving all my money, spending my free time maintaining the yard, not indulging in gear purchases. Maybe it's imprinted in my DNA. I feel a little guilty I'm able to sleep in every day, work not all that much, and still make enough, as I know I could be making and saving a lot more money if I wasn't so lazy. Though when I did that for 10 years with great success, I was miserable. Grass is always greener...

Matt G, Jim622, Fiesta Red and 4 others like this.
  3. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

I was working as a bike-mechanic for the last seven years, but recently I finished studying and I'm now working as an Electronics and Instrument Engineer. We design and build electronic control systems for large industrial pulp machines and also process industry, mainly milk and cheese, as I live in the Netherlands. Where a quarter of my job consists of writing scripts for the design software we use. So, after a time doubting if I would opt for a job as a hardware engineer or software engineer, I'm now a hardware engineer that engineers software.

Sind das Max und Moritz in deinem Avatar? I remember them from my German classes. But unfortunately I did not remember much more then that and: "Haben Sie vielleicht noch ein Platz fur zwei Personen mit Zelt?"

Jim622, Geoff738 and Deathray like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I had three different and distinct occupations since college......took a "temporary" retail job at Montgomery Ward, which lasted over fourteen years......neon glassblower, which other than musician I loved more than ANYTHING else (twenty years) .....and then Special Education teacher for ten years, and that came pretty close to the neon as far as personal enjoyment. I retired a couple years earlier than I planned because I was injured by a 350+ lb. special ed student, plus my (now) 93 year-old mother was needing more and more attention. So, in addition to being retired, my "almost" full-time job is attending to her every day. My aunt and another cousin are also in the same facility as my mom, so I effectively "kill" three birds with one stone. (visit)
    I can empathize, thunderbyrd.........
    Incidentally, I NEVER relied on playing music as my sole source of income....just too uncertain. ;)

Jim622, Wildcard_35, DonM and 5 others like this.
  5. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Dutch is the perfect balance between english and german.

That's how I feel each Time I'm un Amsterdam

6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I do tech support for a network security software vendor. My background is as an electronics designer and I did actually briefly work in the music biz about 30 years ago. My electronics skillz are helping me with this tube amp renovation, although I know very little about tubes except: when they get hot, it's usually a good thing. Can't say that about transistors!

Recently (starting about 6 or 7 years ago) I've taught myself DSP coding for musical effects and did some consulting for some companies you may even have heard of. It's not enough to pay the bills and it's also a bit of a hassle when it comes down to trying to deal with varying subjective impressions that people have about sound and the imperfect language we have to talk about sound. Add in the fact that you're never in the same room with the client!

So, cool as that was for awhile I am not actively scouting for new opportunities there.

DonM, getbent and Deathray like this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

NB it is. Still making some shoes in the USA.

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup, I've been through so many mergers, acquisitions, selloffs, layoffs, and buyouts that I can't even count them all. When I started my company was less than 3000 people worldwide. At one point it grew to around 350,000. Right now it's about 60,000.

So yeah, you do kind of feel like a number, but I've been lucky to work with a lot of the same people over the years. I tell myself that I must be doing something right to be able to stay here so long - but on the other hand maybe I've just been lucky and stayed under the radar!

Cheers,
    Doug

LocoTex and getbent like this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I'm retired but worked in procurement in my working years.

10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Retired now, after a “career” of never having a real job. I have no idea how I lucked into a life where people would pay me to do stuff I would have done for fun anyway. Got to travel, given free product from various outdoor companies, engage in various adventures, and generally have a good time. I helped people grow their businesses. I also “worked” to defend some of these natural resources I enjoyed.

When I told one of my friends I was retiring, he said “From what? You’ve been on vacation your whole life”.

But now I’m apparently paying for it, as I’ve had some things happen I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Don’t take anything for granted in this life; you never know when circumstances beyond your control can turn on you. I play guitar to escape that.

LocoTex, Jim622, DonM and 4 others like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m a laser systems engineer a year away from retirement. I divide my time between customer support and training engineers and technicians who will continue to support the products after I leave.

Jim622, DonM, getbent and 1 other person like this.
  12. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

QA Analyst and Change Control Administrator monkey here.

DonM, Deathray and blowtorch like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Internal audit and IT

Jim622, getbent and Deathray like this.
  14. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

WV hmm? If in a border city, you could be doing almost anything. If interior, I'd say mining, mining rescue, cop or corrections officer.

Deathray likes this.
  15. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

eww :)

uriah1 likes this.
  16. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

You got a BOX!?

17. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I work hard at not working. Before that, I helped a large university raise over a billion dollars (I didn't get any of that), spent 15 years at a regional nonprofit helping rural communities and low income folks get clean water and safe wastewater disposal, built some buildings, including my own house, and just generally did stuff for money, until I didn't have to any more.

Note to the younger folk who read this: figure out how you're going to retire, and stick to that plan -- the sooner the better. Not working is way better than working, or rather, having the choice not to work is way better than having no choice.

I don't have a bunch of money, and sometimes we run out before the next check arrives in the mailbox, but life is very good.

LocoTex, Matt G, Jim622 and 5 others like this.
  18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I used to consider myself a professional musician (or at least say I was 'paying my way through college' with music). I spent these past three years with a day job in Swiss politics, now I'm back to music again until I get settled in my next endeavour (eventually teaching, hopefully).
    Fewer gigs now though, since I've been off the scene for a while, but the bills don't get any smaller...

19. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

Congratulations! I presume you meant 6/27/19

uriah1 likes this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"Snow"?

uriah1 and DaveTone like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.