Not a professional musician? What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deathray, May 20, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Professional musician for 10 years. Guitar teacher for 14 years. College adjunct lecturer for 4 years. Tenured full professor, retired after 25 years. Currently starting new career as a Professor Emeritus.

Due to my medical situation, my musical activities have shifted from composition to blues guitar improvisation. Doing multi-step activities, like composing, wear me out now, so blues soloing is my latest activity. I have pain all the time, now, and playing blues guitar really does help. And vice versa: the pain helps with the blues, while the blues helps with the pain. Win/win?

ftbtx, Rustbucket, Jimmy Owen and 6 others like this.
  2. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

Thanks for your service!

3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Radio/TV technician ( in the days when they were repairable) Hearing aid technician. State service manager for national Government hearing service and sole manufacturer of "Hearing Hats" for Australian kids to enable deaf kids to hear their teacher in the classroom. Technician recruiter and trainer and now retired manufacturer of high quality sawdust.

DC

Matt G, ftbtx, DonM and 2 others like this.
  4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yup. 6/27/19!

teletimetx, Jim622 and Deathray like this.
  5. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Engineer. I design 3-phase industrial motors built for a variety of applications such as pumps, compressors, generators, crushers, etc.

DonM, lineboat and Jim622 like this.
  6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Probably someone already said this but I suspect it's more about who is on a computer all day.

Deathray and dmitri like this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

But I am not on the TDPRI all day. I am doing real work. I am making improvements to my company. I don't fool around posting about guitars. No! Really! Please believe me!

I have no idea how I said that with a straight face. :lol::lol::lol:

ftbtx, Jim622, Deathray and 1 other person like this.
  8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I did a year of something similar when I first qualified but I don't think I could go back to it. I worked in criminal justice for many years with sex offenders and violent criminals and by and large enjoyed that but child protection is a hard path to follow. Kudos.

jondanger and Deathray like this.
  9. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I manage the record unit of our local police department.

DonM, Jim622, RoyalBaby and 2 others like this.
  10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

You put bras on crustaceans?

uriah1 and Deathray like this.
  11. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Storeman at an industrial supply store and steel yard.

DonM, Jim622, getbent and 1 other person like this.
  12. intensely calm

intensely calm TDPRI Member

This is a great thread, it’s a pleasure to hear of everyone’s position or path.

Short answer: I’m in marketing

But that’s boring and doesn’t paint much of a picture.

My path has varied from, childhood farm hand (family farm), Gas Station attendant (when there was someone to pump fuel for you), apprentice mechanic, auto body technician to automotive painter/refinisher, rough & finish carpenter, also did some roofing (I don’t miss that job, props to those who do it). Oh, and like @heffus, I too had done some tile setting - that killed my knees. Hat’s off to you sir!

Then I realized I would like an air conditioned life, so I went back to school, got into commercial art/marketing. Since then I’ve had various jobs in “marketing” and tangent careers. I’ve had my own business, worked as a marketing consultant of sorts, free-lanced in various ways. Used my construction knowledge to work as a residential designer doing remodeling drawings, prepared construction drawings, then did development marketing, real estate event/promotion marketing, jumped around a bit more did some web design (not development) and very-basic programming, some art direction, a little product photography, ugh - basically whatever needs to be done, I just say “ I can do that! - maybe? ”, then I figure out how to do whatever has been put in front of me. Sometimes it goes well, others not so well. I always learn something, even that I don’t want to ever do a certain job again.

It’s all been good and given me the opportunity to jump from one field to another when the economy does what it does, and the economy has pulled the rug a couple times. Currently I have a steady gig of 11yrs, as a Sr. Marketing Designer for a large wholesale distributor.

I never had the opportunity to study guitar, never took a lesson until I was 50yrs old, that has also come to an end do to a change in my life. But I like to build stuff, practice guitar when I have a moment, just try to cram as much as I can into the time available, and have a beer now and then as well.
    Met and worked with a lot of great people, that's probably the best take-away from having bounced around and moved a lot.

So I'm actually a Gypsy who wanted to be the old MacGyver.

DonM, Jim622, uriah1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

It seems I am working toward working myself to death...but not really. Just seems that way.

Deathray likes this.
  14. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Actually since announcing my retirement plans my goal has been to spend most of my remaining time surfing the net. I have given a pound of flesh to my employer and have no remorse in slowing down my personal productivity.

DonM and Deathray like this.
  15. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Sperm donor,retired. :)

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I practiced the trade as an amateur for a quite a while, hoping to go pro. However, unexpected consequences brought about situations where lawyers and such were involved, so I had to adopt a more selective approach to my hobby.

17. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

English professor. I love teaching Shakespeare to college students who were forced to read him in high school and discover now that they like him after all. My "secrets":
    • I went to school forever and I can explain some -- not all -- of what we're reading together.
    • I keep rereading the plays and notice something new every time. It adds up.
    • I actually enjoy Shakespeare myself. Looking back, I can see that some of my high school teachers didn't. I don't blame them, but the teachers I'm training will be different.
    • Don't tart him up. Shakespeare was smarter than I am and doesn't need my help to be interesting, funny, or moving.
    • Be honest about what I don't like, agree with, or understand.
    • Never say "This was really new and exciting 400 years ago." If that's your best reason for liking Shakespeare, you're sunk.

theprofessor, ftbtx, DonM and 7 others like this.
  18. knavel

knavel TDPRI Member

Blooze lawyer.

DonM, Jim622 and Deathray like this.
  19. Tywashere

Tywashere TDPRI Member

Fun thread and interesting people here. For me, I run a computer services company that works with small and mid sized companies.

DonM, Jim622 and Deathray like this.
  20. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Something similar sounding happened to a colleague. All those years of straight up dedication to the job,yet all folk remember is that one solitary episode involving a sheep.

Life can be cruel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.