A long time ago, in a forum not so far away, some dummy started a thread about making mandolins. If you’re the type of person that likes self-punishment, you can go back and read through it. I didn’t want to drag it back from the dead (so please don’t post in it), but it does have some of the steps that got me to where I’ll start this thread. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/wood-a-mandolin-be-ok.376016/ The reason the old thread died was, I could not decide how to attach the necks. The reason for this new thread is, I can’t take any more snide remarks from Roger. Well, that and I really want a mandolin. We’ll start slow. Just one of the mandos first. Maybe the other one later. Maybe a classical. Maybe a steel string. Maybe this thread will fizzle out too. You never know. Let’s start with this pile of……………parts. If you didn’t go back to review the original thread, I don’t blame you. To save you some time I’ll just tell you I started a Mesquite F type and a Cherry A type. This is the Cherry A type. The parts have been stabilizing for about 4 years, so I shouldn’t have too much trouble with the wood moving Looks like a 6 year old tried to put a kit together, but I think we can work with that. Here’s the neck. The reason the whole thing went South. I think I have a plan using the connectors in the little bag. The top was ready for attachment to the rim after some shaping of the tone bars so I busted out some clamps. That went pretty well so I started working on the neck heel. I decided to go with the straight mortise & tenon joint as opposed to the dovetail. Thing is, you gots to cut the body profile into the heel at an angle. Hence the jig. The mortise was easier since the bottom of the rim is flat. Obviously, the top had been made flush with the sides before this. Now I need to cut the taper of the heel to make it a little easier to see the joint. I cut one side from this end of the jig, then, flip the jig around and cut the other side from the other end. Used a block with 2-sided tape on one side & sandpaper on the other to raise the neck. Held the neck in place on the jig with my vise-like fingers. Goes together something like this. I think the angle is about 6 degrees. The beauty of the straight tenon is the neck can slide up or down to achieve the correct FB to bridge relationship. Checking the scale length here. I want the bridge to line up with the points of the F holes. I guess that would have been better with the bridge in the picture. Hmmmm……..at least you can see the F holes. Now for the mechanical attachment stuff. Drill a hole in the bottom of the tenon… …for the cross dowel. (Thanks jamorudd & Marty). Of course it will go deeper in the heel. Just use this little wrench to tighten it. At this point, I had not decided if I wanted to attach the neck before or after the back was attached to the rim. So I moved on to other things. Other things on a mandolin! Don’t panic, I haven’t set this project aside again yet. As a matter of fact, I have a bunch of pictures, ‘cause I like pictures, of more progress. I’ll be posting them shortly.