Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NOS EL84 score!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by OnlyVees, Mar 19, 2013.

1. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2009
    Desert, USA
    I stumbled across this sweet Telefunken EL84 at my local electronic supply store- they have quite a few modern tubes; I've scored NOS GE 12AX7's in the past...

This thing tested really good on their vintage console tube-tester, and even better, sounds great in my little Winfield Typhoon.

I've seen these listed for almost 10 times what I paid. :cool:

[​IMG]

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    nice score...I believe amperex and Telefunken were among top 3 EL84 on a lot of lists...

3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    Telefunkens seem to be exceptionally highly desireable to the HiFi crowd, who're willing to pay huge money for them, which (I presume) is why very few spill out into our world of guitar amps. If I found a set of anything telefunken I'd be hard pressed to not consider trying to trade them off to a hifi cat for, I dunno, a Ford Focus.

As long as they sound good, they are good. Nice score.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    The list generally goes Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex in that order. Telefunken made some great stuff until late production was transferred to Yugoslavia. Apparently the good ones have the diamond between the pins.

Some weird stuff went on with late production. I can't imagine why RCA would buy Telefunken 12AX7s but I have at least one smooth plate Telefunken labeled RCA. Or maybe it's early Ei. I'll dig 'em all out and line 'em all up one of these days...

Audiophiles are picky about tubes that display well. They like crisp lettering and nice boxes. Don't touch the lettering! An expensive Telefunken becomes cheap generic junk the moment you smear the lettering.

I'm comparing 12AX7s to the OP's EL84. Tubes is tubes...

I've got Telefunkens with no lettering, more with smudged lettering and a pair of Mullard 12AX7s with "Vox" labels. They're supposedly worth some dough, so far no takers... :rolleyes:

The way it seems to go is tube sellers buy from casual sellers like myself. I test 'em on the industry standard 539C so that's not an issue. They don't seem to be worth big dough when I have 'em even though the exact same tubes are costly from other sources. I might as well use 'em. That way I don't have to screw around with new production.

6. vanr

vanr Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2003
    AZ
    You are why I never find any tubes to speak of there. I have just quit going over there. But that's OK because you told me about the place to start with. Good haul.

7. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
  8. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2009
    Desert, USA
    Loving the Typhoon. He used my YouTube clip at his website as a demo... If I had known that, I would have taken a little more care when I recorded it.

Telecaster+Typhoon+Celestion Blue= a wonderful home rig.

9. vanklomk

vanklomk Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2009
    GR, Mich.
    Hmmmm, maybe I should buy the matched pair for sale near me for $50? Just bought some NOS Teslas for my Carmen Ghia when I saw these.

10. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    What are your thoughts on Sylvania EL84s? An old TV repairman gave me a box of tubes a few years ago, and there we some nice tubes, but a lot of unusable (for guitar amps) tubes. Included were a pair of Sylvania 84s, I don't think they were ever used, but the writing is a little smudged. I don't have any way to test except to put them in my Vox AC15.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Sylvania blackplate EL84 are phenom...

12. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    +1 Sylvania black plate EL84

13. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    South
    You dawg...I mean, Congrats! :D

14. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Old tubes, especially NOS are great.

I got a quad of Sylvania EL 84s from a Dynaco kit hi fi amp. They served me well in a Blues Jr and a Pro Jr.

15. bullfrogblues

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I apologize for my lack of tube knowledge, how do I know if my tubes are blackplates? Or are all Sylvania EL84s blackplates?

16. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    The big parts you can see when you look through the glass are the plates. I'd like to think the "Black" part is self-explanatory. It seems to me that the black plates are also 'glossy', while most gray plates are 'satin'.

17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Noice!

I have a pair of good condition Telefunken 6BQ5s that came from an old German console stereo. Only EL84 amp I have runs a quad. Guess I need to buy another amp so I can use them.

18. bullfrogblues

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Marshman, thank you for the description, I'll take another look, maybe a photo.

Dan....I like the way you think!!! :)

19. Bluegroove

Bluegroove Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2013
    Tulsa
    Way to go! As a recording engineer those are killer. I love the sound of the older Telefunken stuff. Tubes, mikes, etc...

Nice find.

20. 69 Thinline

69 Thinline TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Sierra Nevada
    I'm running some 1965 Vintage Hammond/Mullard 6BQ5s in my new VOX AC15 Twin's power amp section along with three 1963 vintage JAN Phillips 12AX7s in the preamp.

There really is no comparison between these NOS tubes from the 60s and anything currently coming out of Russia or where ever. I've got my own Hickok 6000A tester here and not only do they not check out the same, they sound way less impressive in a quality amp design like the AC15 or in my Hammond C3 or Leslie 122.

I know a lot of folks say they like JJ tubes, Electro-Harmonix or some of the other brands, but that is only because they haven't heard what their amp sounds like with some of the US or UK manufactured tubes I have here, or like those German Telefunken tubes you scored! Night and day isn't it? :D

I just wish I would have bought a lot more backstock when I made my last big NOS purchase in 1998. They were starting to get spendy back then, but nothing like today!

Half of my remaining NOS stock:

[​IMG]

My 6000A testing some of my Mullards for installation into my new VOX AC15 Twin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two best Hammond/Mullard 6BQ5s I have left in my stash.

[​IMG]

My new VOX AC15 Twin got these NOS tubes installed before I even turned the amp on for the first time. I wanted it to sound like a 1962 AC15 Twin from day one! :cool: I have since tried several different tube combos, but I keep coming back to my original lineup. The amp sounds like a million bucks with this tube set! (JAN Phillips 12AX7s and Hammond/Mullard EL-84/6BQ5 power tubes)

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.