Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Northern Colorado cheap Mustang I alert!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Jim Dep, May 24, 2013.

1. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I cruised a Mr. Money pawn shop today in Loveland, Co. They have a used Mustang I there for $50 ! Other than dusty, it looks perfect. You can put anything on 3 month layaway for 7% down.

I just bought my M III there a month or so ago, brand new for $200

(I'm not affiliated with them in anyway)

I don't know that it has the footswitch. Didn't ask.

Here was my experience with Mr Money. A couple years ago they got a shipment of several brand new Mustang amps, at least one of every model. They had them priced just a few dollars higher than Guitar Center. I knew I'd get one sooner or later, probably the Mustang 1 just for home practice.

Back in March, I stopped by the Mr. Money and asked if they had any Mustangs left, preferably the M-1. They told me "NO", and they'd been out of them for a few months. I walk out, and stopped to look around their display window facing the outside. Up on a high shelf, off in the corner, sure enough there's a Mustang amp with a $200 price tag. I figured it was a M-II because they're about the same size as the MIII's and Mr. Money used to sell their M2's for $209 or something like that. No big deal, I didn't want to spend that much. I'm thinking "Those dummies they don't even know what's on their own inventory !"

A week or two later, now I'm in the market for a used Boss compressor/ sustainer peddle. I swing by Mr. Money to look around again. Sure enough, there's that Mustang way up in the Display case window you can only see from outside of the store.

Once inside the store I said " remember I was asking about Fender Mustang amps a couple weeks ago and you told me you didn't have any?"
    "Yeah" he says. " Well there's one sitting up in your outside display case". Before I had a chance to tell him I saw it there two weeks earlier, he say's " oh yeah, I think we just got that in". ........Not to embarrass this guy, I let that one go.

I asked " That's a Mustang II right?" He says " yeah, it looks like one". I asked him to bring it down so I could get a closer look. It's a Mustang III with a $200 price tag.

The place was crowded and this guy was in an obvious hurry. I took it over to the counter to put it on layaway. AT the counter, I mentioned to the cashier that the tag says the amp is brand new and it had the original tags wrapped on it. I asked where the footswitch, USB cable, cord and disk were. I showed him one tag that had these accessories listed. He says " we keep them in the back, and I know we have it". Being they were crazy busy, I took his word and put it on layaway.

After I first posted here about this new amp layaway day, members here cautioned me about making sure that it worked properly and didnt' have the Fizz problem. So I go back to the store a few days later and ask to have a closer look and try it out. A different guy behind the counter says " We keep our layaway stuff all the way in the back and we don't bring the item out until you pay it off and are ready to pick it up. " I nicely explained to him that it was really busy the day I put it on layaway and didn't get a chance to try it out.

He said " if you change your mind, we'll give you a store credit". OK, now I'm getting pissed. He refused to go back to let me look at what I bought. I told him I wasn't interested in a store credit if it didn't work. He referred me to my contract which backed up what he said. Shame on me for not reading the details 1st.

Then I politely asked to see the accessories that came with the amp, being they "were too busy" to show me when I came in before. He says " there are no accessories." Now I'm really pissed and getting ready to come unglued arguing loudly that their employee lied to me.

While I'm arguing with this guy, a customer standing in front of a glass case, (where they keep the guitar pedals locked up) is waving at me trying to get my attention. I said excuse me to the counter guy, I walk over to the case and this customer says " I think this might be what you're talking about".

SURE ENOUGH !! There's the brand new box with all the Mustang III accessories. The pedal, the usb cable, the disc, a manual, the whole ten yards! They've got a $50 price tag on it ! Those freaking crooks!!!

I come unglued yelling " here's the accessory box that goes with my amp! You guys were trying to sell it out from under me !! People were all turning around staring. The counter guy didn't know what to say, so he opened the case, I grabbed the box and pulled the $50 tag off of it and demanded that he put that in the back with my amp. He didn't say a word and walked it back there. I put more money down on it, wrote on the receipt every item that was included and had him sign it. He still refused to show me the amp which made me nervous. No apology...nothing.

I got it out shortly after this. Luckily, thank God there was nothing wrong with it.

At my age, there is no excuse for blindly trusting people that they won't try to screw you. That never used to be a problem in this town, but obviously we are living in a different era.

So, if you get this Mustang I for $50, make sure they SHOW you the footpedal and make sure it is listed on the receipt. For $50 though, if it didn't have the footswitch, you'd pay another $25 or so for one. That's still a fair deal being the amp appears to be in great shape. If there's one in the glass case, tell them it belongs with YOUR amp!! Those lousy, no good crooks! :p

Last edited: May 24, 2013

2. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    They should be turned over to the Better Business Bureau.

ForumRunner_20130525_000442.jpg

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    You are right, I probably should, just for other people's protection.

Yes I got a good deal, but I had to fight for it. A new MIII version 1, without the accessories for $200 isn't that great of a deal and that's what they were hoping for. I'm convinced when they tried to sell the accessories separately that it was no accident.

If it weren't for the help of that other customer, I'm not sure how this would have turned out. Being I was in the market that day for a compressor/sustainer pedal, I might have worked my way over to that glass case and discovered the Mustang III accessory box on my own. By that time though, I was so pissed off that I wasn't thinking about the pedal anymore.

This place is under new management with all new faces. They have some good prices but they are very disorganized in comparison to what they were a year ago.

I used to buy strings and pedals etc from them, but I won't anymore, unless they have a really good deal on something you don't normally see at other stores. I don't like supporting these kinds of people.

Pretty cat, BTW. My wife is cat/dog groomer. Too bad about the long distance.

4. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Thanks! I have two cats and they really depend on me... I kind of spoil them. I'm sure if you and I lived in the same town, we would be jam n' quite a bit. If you get a chance, check out my 'Surfin Twin' preset. Its not drenched in a lot of Reverb or Delay, but it does sound very musical using both pickups together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmF2JguaXQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ForumRunner_20130525_043302.jpg

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Hey Matty,

I plugged in the coordinates on your Surfin Twin preset last night. I've got them all plugged in now and saved. I've got a folder in my Fuse Library with your name on it, where I stored all your presets. I listed the pedals used and put your name in the "Description" section of the preset to keep them organized.

I can crank up the reverb on the "Surfin Twin" preset and get instant Ventures, Dick Dale and Shadow's tones :)

Therefor, I give it 5 of these:

Attached Files:

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    For a James Burton tone, (Burnin Love, etc) I'd start with a 65 Twin, however
    because I can I get a good James Burton tone using your Classic Bassman setting with my tele, I give 4 of these:

Attached Files:

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Now there's a few of the Factory presets that are.....trying to nice here.....

Well....let me put it this way. Doom Orleans gets ONE of these:

Attached Files:

8. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    I have not Dialed up a James Burton tone yet, as I'm too intimidated by his play n' style. I use that particular Bassman preset on just 2 tunes... The Eagles 'Lyin Eyes & Presley's Burning love. To my ears, it just sounds good on those 2 tunes especially with the tremolo setting.

Where are you getting these pictures of all these beautiful woman... its not fair !!!

9. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Agreed! Here's all my settings for what I use when I play The Ventures.

ForumRunner_20130526_092706.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_092719.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_092729.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_092740.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_092756.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_092811.jpg

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Yeah, If I was in the Maryland area, we'd be jammin for sure. I probably know your whole set list on bass, however I'm just a spring chicken on guitar in comparison. I was fortunate to play with some very good guitar players and I can still use their tones and overall approach for a reference and barometer for what I need to do to improve. I think James Burton was influential for just about every guitar I worked with professionally.

Well, I've been saving these pics to give out for awards, just for occasions like these. Stunning, isn't she?

Attached Files:

11. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

I have had the good fortune of watching James Burton perform in person and meeting him ...he is a real beast on the guitar.

It's kind of bittersweet for me watching him play guitar, I love watching him but then I realized I don't know **** and I start to get seriously depressed.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    The Mustang 1 is gone already. At $50 I didn't expect it to last.

James Burton is one guy I'd love to meet. What an honor! A legendary player and a truly good and humble person, based on the interviews of him I've seen. After Elvis' live shows in Vegas, James talked of many nights they went upstairs to Elvis' suite after a show and rehearsed Gospel tunes for future shows. If only Elvis were able to survive long enough to make that happen.

James played with amazing energy with Elvis' live band. For example, they played CC Ryder and he's throwing in Jimmy Page licks like he could do them in his sleep. Until I worked with an Elvis impersonator back in the late 1970's, I had no idea how good the real Elvis' live band was. As a condition to being hired for the bassist job, I had to be indoctrinated to as much of Elvis live recordings that I could soak up. I was naive thinking that it was a piece of cake.
    Like the rest of our back up band, we had to study Elvis' arrangements and the individual musician's style of playing. Think of the great players Elvis had before he died. JB on lead guitar, Jerry Scheff on bass (also the bassist on The Doors L.A. Women album back in 1971), Ronny Tutt on drums to name a few. As I soon discovered, these players were scary to try to emulate for all of us in the back up band. This Elvis clone and his management were quite a group of perfectionists and knew the individual and collective sound they were looking for.

Working on Jerry Scheff bass lines and improvisation made me a better player, no doubt. Same thing for our guitarist and drummer who studied Elvis' live band as hard as I did, two guys I was close friends with and worked with for several years. The three of us stuck together and took this new found knowledge into future groups we worked with.

Scotty Moore is a great player too and I find his style a little more in my reach than James Burton. Love em both though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.