Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Noob with vintage tele questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GuitarRandy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    Hi all, revamping an ancient thread here. I finally was able to gather a little more info on this guitar but it's still confusing me! lol.

Pots appear to be Claristat pots with codes 140141 and 140148. which deciphers to 1951 (if online details are correct)

The neck is maple (not maple capped). It has what appears to be the spaghetti logo but it does have "DES 164,227 PAT 2,573,254 2,784,631" under the Telecaster logo. It has the 53-56 era unlabeled, early Klusen tuners with a D shaped neck with the skunk stripe back.

Bridge was replaced in the 60's with a somewhat "hot rodded" upgrade but the original is still around (if we can find it!)

Neck plate is off a 63 era tele so the serial # is not from this guitar.

I hope to pull the front pickup out to check the body cavity over the next few days. I'll post info if I find anything. Neck stampings are either gone or very faded. I'm going to give it another shot at seeing if anything is there as well.

I know this guitar was dismantled in the early/mid 60's for a refinish and is why there are some mix match parts. Were replacement headstock decals available then? I always thought the "pat" logos on headstocks were a CBS era thing which makes this more confusing. I'm 90+% certain this is the original neck to the guitar but the decal makes it questionable!

Thanks for any additional insight! I'll upload some updated pictures as soon as I can get them loaded onto the PC.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

2. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    I wanted to take the time to thank everyone that responded to my questions when I first posted this thread. I have finally been able to clear up much of the mystery around this amazing guitar and I wanted to share the findings! I removed the neck and the neck data is listed "5/19/53". The body has very faded (or covered) markings. The only ones that can be made out appear to be "TG" but the date has either faded or was covered when the guitar was refinished in the 60's. Did Tadeo Gomez mark bodies or just necks?

the original bridgeplate is long lost as the original owner had replaced it with some sort of tremolo back in the late 50's. When my father in law purchased the guitar, he hated it and replaced it with a fender bridge plate (along with the weird Gibson style saddle that's on it now. Pots are believed (by my father in law) to be original to the guitar and are Clarostat pots marked 1951 (140141 and 140148).

The outdated logo decal with "patent" marks was replaced by my father in law when he refinished the guitar in the 1964-1965ish time frame.
    IMG_5894.JPG IMG_5895.JPG IMG_5897.JPG IMG_5898.JPG IMG_5899.JPG

2 Headed Goat, ickylick and simond like this.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I find it interesting and happily entertaining that even as far back as the "early 60's" there were folks who appreciated the "relic" and "patina" aspects of well played/used/abused guitars! Good for your FIL!

FWIW, I would put some proper saddles on that old dog. It's not like taking that "weirdo" saddle off is going to cause any damage to it's value or playability! All the rest tells a stunningly gorgeous story!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less!
    Gene

4. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland
    That saddle is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Looks like something made in high school shop class. Two elevator screws, one piece of brass, and the tension from all of the strings pressing down the whole thing. Seems like this would accentuate what everyone likes about the three brass saddle even more.

5. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    A fascinating story, it's great to be able to explain some of the changes and track its original date. I'm interested in the bridge pickup being mounted directly into the body which may give an increase in sustain but of course may not allow a lot of leeway in height adjustment. Do you know why your father in law did this? Could be a bit more story!
    Incidentally, and this is just my opinion, but the style of the script showing the neck date is similar to Tadeo Gomez's writing which I've seen in othe pics. He did, however, usually initial his necks as well. I must say I can't really see a TG on the body from the pics as they appear on my computer, but you have the real thing in front of you so mabe Tadeo made both parts.

6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Fabulous stuff, great find, best of luck with it GuitarRandy!

7. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    He thought it was cool. He was in a "surf", "oldies" band and it added to the overall look and feel of what they were doing back in the day. Of course they were not oldies back then, lol.

I plan to change it back to the way it came. Trying to set the intonation sucks with this thing!

8. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    I think it was an oversight when it was reassembled. I never caught it until you said something. I thought something looked off.

I've seen Tadeo's initials on other guitars and it looks similar to what can be faintly seen.

edit: Here's what I was using as a reference:
    [​IMG]

If you look at the picture of the neck cavity in my post above, you can faintly make out what appears to be the top of a "T" in approximately the same location. It may be a stretch on my part on reading the body markings though. I want to try to strip some of the finish back to see if more can be seen but I'm weary of the results it may have.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm excited to have this old dog staying in the family

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.