Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Noob Question] Dimensions for Flatsawn Neck Blank?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nopecaster, May 13, 2013.

1. Nopecaster

Nopecaster TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    SoCal
    Hey everyone, I'm gonna be building a tele-ish design using the same neck specs and I was wondering what I should look for when getting the maple blank. I know that running the board through a joiner and miter saw etc. will take off a certain amount of wood (even more so, considering that it'll be flat sawn) so what size should I go for? Any other tips when buying wood would be greatly appreciated.

2. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Up at the top of the page is a blue bar . It is a search feature of the forum... put "making a neck" in the box and those particular threads should come up. Also read the challenge threads from the last year.... they all included neck making.

4. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

This : Thanks Colt.

If you want the full Telecaster headstock shape you need 3 1/2" x 1" x 27". Strats need to be 4" wide.

Like Mojo said, you really want something 5/4 or 6/4 to start with, that way after plane and sand it, you still have a full inch. I like my final neck blank dimension to be 1 1/16", so that When I radius my fret board, I have plenty of room to compensate for mistakes and still get my full 1" thickness. You can deal with thinner neck blanks, but it is not fun.

Even if you buy 4/4 lumber you are going to loose 1/8" straightening it out and sanding the planer marks away.

Just in case anyone was wondering, 4/4 is 1" thick, 5/4 is 1.25", 6/4 is 1.5" thick, and 8/4 is 2" thick. Which is devious, because once you finish the lumber out, you loose quite a bit sanding out blemishes, planer marks, and face jointing it to remove any bow in the lumber. You also have to watch out for snipe left by planers. Often you need to remove 2-3 inches from both ends of the board to get rid of snipe, so keep that in mind when buying wood. I don't know of any lumber source that sells perfectlyt dimensioned, finished sanded, and straight lumber; the nature of wood prevents it. Buy bigger than you need, and finish down to the final blank dimensions.

You need to glue a fret board on 3/4" and 13/16" neck blanks.

( Thanks to Colt W Knight. )

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.