Non Reverse Firebird/Jazzmaster/JR

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Jsil13, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Hey guys, So I just finished putting together my pink paisley Jazzmaster a few months ago and I absolutely love it, but I've started accumulating parts for my next build.

This one is going to be an ash Non-reverse Firebird style body from Rosser on Ebay. This is my third body from them and for the price the quality is pretty good. This body is just an example. I had mine routed for a jazzmaster trem and bridge and just a single JM bridge pickup. I want to go for simplicity on this build. Similar to an SG Jr in that regard.
    fullsizeoutput_1d5.jpeg
    A few examples from the internet. The top left is also a Rosser body (not mine). I plan on taking some styling ideas from the SG Jr pickguard as well.
    16A13496-9F55-4C87-A31C-DF8491FE44F6.jpg
    I put Novak pickups in my JM build, but on this one I went for something a bit different. This a Mcnelly Cornucopia humbucker in a Jazzmaster cover.
    2018-11-22 22.12.31.jpg
    Seeing how much I love the Mastery Bridge and Trem on my JM I got another one for this build. I stalked Reverb and scored both of these used and saved over $100 that way. Not sure why this picture is upside down.
    2019-04-11 18.24.37.jpg

I'm still deciding on what I want to do for a neck. I have 2 roasted maple Warmoth necks and I love them so I'm going with another one here. Trying to decide on a headstock shape. Strat, JM, or maybe even their Hombre which is an LP style 3 per side headstock.

My plan for the finish is to either grain fill and clear it to leave a natural finish. That or go for a darker stain or dye. Anything less flashy than my pink paisley JM or coral pink Telebird.

Dismalhead likes this.
  2. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

My first two Rosser bodies. Coral Pink with a SD little 59er in the bridge and a Mojo UK humucker sized goldfoil in the neck. It no longer has the giant stereo knobs on it.
    A2960731-0162-4BCB-91DA-718564B22966.jpg
    Turquoise metal flake. Fender 62 bridge pickup and a Mojo UK mojotron.
    E6AC6D52-1F24-4717-815A-7AF26EEC031E.jpg
    My first two scratch built bodies. Both are alder. Just finishing up the necks now. The tele took a nasty spill right when I was done finishing it so it went on hiatus for awhile due to my frustration.
    IMG_5154.JPG IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG IMG_5567.JPG IMG_4618.JPG

jim777 likes this.
  3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Just got back from a two week tour to find my new body and pickup had arrived. I'm really happy with the body. I was planning on doing a natural finish and the grain looks great. It's northern ash so it's a bit on the heavy side but I don't mind. I'm going to add contours on the front and back and that might take a little bit off of it.

The Mcnelly pickup looks awesome and I've heard a ton of good things about them. I'm looking forward to hearing what it sounds like. The Mastery stuff is killer too. I have the bridge and trem on my Jazzmaster and I love it.

On my past few builds I've used Warmoth roasted maple with rosewood or Pau ferro and I'll be doing the same with this one. The only decision I have to make now is to use the Strat headstock shape or the 3 on a side LP style. Any suggestions? The main reason for the 3 on a side is my tele bird barely fits in my Mono case. fullsizeoutput_21e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21f.jpeg IMG_5812.JPG

4. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Got started on the contours today. So far I have the rear one done. I used my shinto rasp, a file, and then sanded it. I forgot how much of a workout this is, but I enjoy it. IMG_5819.JPG IMG_5820.JPG

bender66 and Matthias like this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Subscribed. I LOVE the coral and turquoise flake guitars in post #2. And is that dark neck for the JM a rosewood neck? Truly stunning!

Jsil13 likes this.
  6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Thanks a lot man. I still play that coral one quite a bit, and I'm still finding glitter over a year later from the metal flake one. Haha.

The dark colored necks are all roasted maple. The JM has a rosewood board and the coral guitar has a Pau ferro board. I like to use them because they don't require a finish and once I sand them up to 1500-2000 they're the smoothest necks I've ever felt. This guitar is going to get one too.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. theprofessor

What do you use on the roasted maple to make it that dark? That specimen has particularly nice grain. Allparts neck? Other?

8. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

The neck on the jazzmaster is just raw wood. The neck that I have tru oiled there is Bolivian rosewood. I made that from a neck blank I got from Larose guitars on instagram. That's for the tele body that I made.

The rest of the necks are all from Warmoth.

9. theprofessor

Ah, got it! Yes, the Bolivian rosewood is the one I was asking about. Looks wonderful!

10. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Thanks man. I believe it's the same as Pau ferro and it definitely has an awesome grain to it. I'm tempted to try and oil one of my roasted necks to see if it brings out the grain that much. Unfortunately I'm allergic to the Bolivian rosewood which I found out last year when I was making that neck.

theprofessor likes this.
  11. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

IMG_5821.JPG

12. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

IMG_5823.JPG

bender66 likes this.
  13. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Been busy with the band the past few weeks and also just got gifted a 1959 Melody Maker that I've been working on, but I'm back to working on this. I'm at the super fun part of sanding. Since I'm attempting my first natural finish I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject. Right now I'm sanding, raising the grain and repeating. Still trying to choose a grain filler. I have some Zpoxy, there's timber mate at the Woodcraft somewhat close to me, and then there's the option of not filling it for a more natural feel. Any suggestions? IMG_5882.JPG

theprofessor likes this.
  14. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I've been stalking the Warmoth showcase waiting for the perfect neck to show up for the past few weeks. Well, it showed up today. It's a roasted maple and Indian rosewood Jassmaster neck, with a nice amount of flame, standard thin, 10-16" compound radius, 22 fret, 6105 stainless frets, with modern construction. I love these necks. This is my 3rd one.
    SN26142A.jpg SN26142B.jpg

15. theprofessor

Absolutely gorgeous!

16. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Thanks man. I lucked out on this one. If I had them make me this one it would have cost much more. I think I might put a coat or two of tru oil on it to really make that grain pop. I also ordered the Gotoh vintage tuners that I used on my Jazzmaster build. For the money they work great. Even when I fly with that guitar it's still in tune when I take it out of the case.

17. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I decided to go with Zpoxy as a grain filler. I bought it last year for a black limba Firebird that I've also yet to finish. I did a test piece with this and with some black timbermate to see if I would have liked the contrast. So far it's looking good. I'll let it cure and tomorrow I'll do the front and sides. IMG_5884.JPG

18. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Here's a picture from yesterday morning. The grain on this thing is pretty awesome looking. When I got to sanding it today I realized that I probably went too heavy on the zpoxy. I had a few drips around the sides and sanding it has been a chore. On a positive note when I run my finger nails across even the heavy grain it's already pretty smooth. I'm almost done sanding it back down now and then I'll hit it with the Zpoxy at least one more time. Note to self: go easy this time. IMG_5886.JPG

19. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Alright, spent more time sanding today and then put on a much thinner coat of Zpoxy. This stuff seems to be working great. I'm thinking that two coats may be enough, but I might still do three just to be safe. Tomorrow I'll do the front again. IMG_5896.JPG

20. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Started making an ash control plate cover. The grain isn't going to match right, but I have more ash leftover from my test piece. So if I can make it fit right I can use that to make a better one. Right now it's a lot of filing, testing, filing, testing. IMG_5905.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.