Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

non-North Americans: question about country music

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Sep 29, 2017.

1. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    There's all sorts of variations on the theme in Ireland.

It drives me crazy, with the odd exception ....

paparoof and blowtorch like this.

2. William SantAna

William SantAna TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    Brazilians often dont treat country as a fellow music, but the musicians does.
    Nashville kinda style is the higher level playist for any guitarist, and we recognize it.

3. SlappyDuck

SlappyDuck TDPRI Member

May 13, 2015
    :cry:Somebody said something mean about the Corries :cry:

4. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Perhaps. I think all 3 genres are seen as quintessentially American, though, regardless of whether the roots are in Africa or the UK. It's an interesting topic.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

As I pointed out, I think the issue is in the lyrics. Irish folk music can be political, but in a very different way from American country.

6. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Ha, good point... It's funny, there's actually a venue in Glasgow not far from where I live called the Grand Ol' Opry. It's always busy - folks rock up in full cowboy outfits with their replica pieces & have mock shoot-outs, line dancing, there are confederate flags hanging everywhere... But there's no political element to it. I think they're just having fun playing out the childhood John Wayne/Jimmy Stewart fantasies.

troy2003 and rze99 like this.

7. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    But anyway asking why music from one country is popular in another doesn't really make sense. Lots of people like "world" music. Whatever sets yer toes a-tappin'

notmyusualuserid likes this.

8. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I don't much like "Country" but I like a lot of "Alt Country". I like the Jayhawks, Counting Crows, Blue Mountain, Bottle Rockets, Chuck Prophet, Golden Smog, Guthrie Trapp, Jason Isbell, John Hiatt, Josh Rouse, Lydia Loveless, REM, Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown, Wilco, Kathleen Edwards. I wish Brad Paisley played for someone Else. Can't stand his stuff, love his guitar playing. This is the stuff my own band plays, with our own British flavor. There's a connection with the British New Wave bands for me.

Why? It's real. no computers, real bands, real songs, great guitars and tones, immediacy, lyrics about real things, grit, people you can picture. I've been the States many times and have a soft spot for some Americana stylized things.

9. BigDaddyLH

It's an inherently interesting question that does make a lot of sense. Pop music is global. Rihanna is a global superstar and she is Barbadian. American country music is a genre of pop music. What makes it popular or not in another country? Enquiring minds want to know.

matrix likes this.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I'm betting Onslow's a country fan
    e2_27610_zpskkjqriox.jpg

bendercaster likes this.

11. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    Birmingham, WM
    We have some friends that we see fairly irregularly (if that makes any sense at all) in Thunder Bay (1000 miles of prairie east and 1000 miles of forest west!).
    They once related a tale to us about how a neighbour had given them half a caribou they'd killed in return for some favour they'd done to the other family.
    Now then, I'm not squeamish about hunting etc ... but in a country where about the wildest thing most of us see is a fox or a squirrel and even if you lived in the rural country the ease with which you can own a gun/rifle is, lets say difficult (not necessarily a bad thing imo) ... the idea of being able to stock up your larder/freezer for the winter with game kill had us in hoots.
    Also, is it true or were we being had ... game bear meat is the dogs whatsits?

... and finally ... Hey, we're getting there with the cold beer thing :D

12. jeff mercer

jeff mercer TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2011
    sydney australia
    Hey all.
    It's interesting that many such conversations often seem to neglect what a broad range of genres live under the umbrella of 'Country Music'.

Bluegrass..originally a predominantly acoustic hybrid of fiddle tunes with a healthy dose of blues thrown in, often played at breakneck tempos with an emphasis on instrumental virtuosity & tight harmony vocals..

Western Swing..a predominantly Electric hybrid of fiddle tunes & the big-band Swing popular in the 30/40s..again, instrumental chops & complicated 3 & 4-part instrumental lines played on Guitar/steel/fiddle & mandolin mimicking the horn sections of the Swing bands.

You could certainly put (early) Rockabilly in there, too..much of the guitar in the early stuff is 'amped-up' Merle Travis & Chet Atkins licks.

Also, the 'twangy' barroom Bakersfield sound, the more 'sophisticated' Nashville pop-influenced stuff, & later in the '60s, the whole Gram Parsons/Byrds Country Rock thing.

Admittedly, I got lost around the whole 'cowpunk' thing..most 'alt-country' just doesn't have enough 'country' in it for me (that's just me, though), & the less said about this excerable 'Bro-Country', the better !!

It's much like blues & jazz & most forms of 'Roots Music'..the styles constantly evolved & differed -often quite radically- from region to region..like saying 'blues music' or 'Jazz music', simply saying 'Country music' means totally different things to different people.

Country has never had quite the 'cred' of blues, etc, but there is some incredible stuff when you dig around..not to mention some absolutely s**t- hot guitar playing goin' on !!

Anyways..my worthless 2c !

Cheers all,
    Jeff.

Flaneur and blowtorch like this.

13. BigDaddyLH

I've not tried bear meat but my wife had a patient who'd eaten bear jerky and gotten trichinosis from it -- roundworm infestation. Nearly went blind in one eye :eek:

14. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    As a Luke Kelly fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it. A real eye opener - thanks for the post.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Sweden kinda raised the bar on pop music back in the seventies...

[​IMG]

16. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Last time I checked Canada and Mexico were part of North America. Has that changed?

17. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    I grew up listening to a lot of country music because my father loved it. Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, The Stoneman Family, etc. I don't listen to it as much since my Dad passed and I don't like a lot of 'modern' country (bro?) but I guess I still enjoy it enough that I've just dropped a few hundred dollars to fly to Nashville to see Allison Krauss on Sunday night at the Ryman. Touring the Oprey and the Country Music Hall of Fame while I'm there (and Gruhn's Guitars!)

J Hog likes this.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Last time I checked, countries and continents were two entirely different entities. Has that changed? ;)

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Ask the Aussies...

20. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    And in the 90's too IMO…

Frodebro likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.