Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

non-North Americans: question about country music

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Sep 29, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm just curious about what draws people outside the USA to country music from the USA. Is it the stories, attitude, instrumental skills, whiskey, horses, atmosphere, western movies?

What's the "country music" that comes from your own country? Like, is pizzica considered the "country music" of southern Italy?

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    Nothing draws me to country music, it is soapy, soppy and schmaltzy, near to parody, and the tunes aren't all that. OIMO of course. I do like Johnny Cash though.

The nearest we have to country music is folk, to which the same critique broadly applies

There, now I've upset America and Scotland :)

Gibson, 41144 and tery like this.

3. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Don't really dig country. But I like the epic storytelling element that is sometimes there: A guy named Sue, Harper valley PTA, The highway man, Devils right hand.
    Unlike some other countries sweden didn't have a country scene even though cash and dolly sold a few records. But it is more like they crossed over. I remeber harper valley pta get som airtime in the seventies when i was growing up but few or any people know who sang.
    "This old house" with swedish lyrics is one of the most popular song ever in sweden. but it is sung by a famous actor and few swedes think of that as country music.
    Country was considered as the lowest form of music even if we have just as bad or worse homegrown "dancemusic".
    Things has changed a little the last 20 years. Some artists openly say the are "inspired" by country.

PS. What the f*ck? Did those scots mention reideers (caribou)??? Had to look that up:
    Reindeer were reintroduced to Scotland in 1952 by a Swede called Mikel Utsi, and they have done well since. Reindeer lived in the Highlands up until around 8,000 years ago when, because of climate change or hunting pressure, they became extinct. Utsi recognised that the Cairngorms were similar to his native Lapland and his initial herd of 29 reindeer prospered in the alpine climate.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    tery likes this.

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    ndcaster ... There's a PhD for someone in answering that Question ... where to begin?
    C&W does have a following over here.
    To stay on safe ground ... I'll just say that following does not include me and I'll mainly go along with it myusualuserid ... although I'd be less harsh towards our "British" folk music scene.
    imo - Basically USA C&W is about a set of USA issues/values ...which unlike other music forms from the USA, say blues/soul/rock etc ... seem to be less able to cross the Atlantic and retain meaning here.
    Best wishes ...

notmyusualuserid likes this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You don't like girls with painted on jeans? Well, I guess it takes all kinds.

bendercaster likes this.

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I'd say that there was a bit of a country wave going on in Sweden when I was a kid in the mid seventies. Thus I kind of grew up with it. In the early eighties, when I was mostly listening to punk rock, I heard Jason and the Scorchers. They hit me hard! So did Tom Waits' cuople of country songs on Rain Dogs.

Later on, late eighties, I was getting more and more into the Stones. What i liked the most was their country side. This made me dig deeper into their roots.

Also, Sweden is, by European standards, a fairly large country, sparsely populated with long empty roads between small towns. The life-on-the-road themes and songs about a certain kind of loneliness hit home for a lot of us living outside the more metropolitan areas.

kupasa likes this.

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    The term "country" is a broadly used term, it applies equally to Hank Williams as it does to Taylor Swift, and those two should not ever be confused. The pop country stuff has zero appeal to me, but the older and more "traditional" stuff can be pretty great.

For the traditional stuff, it's just that, people were raised on it and it's derived from generations of experience here in the U.S. The same goes for any cultural brand of music around the world.

Folk and Bluegrass are somewhat less tainted by the mainstream, but the best country to me are all the country covers that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers play, that band can do anything!

Gibson and dr_tom like this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Sconnie you are not from outside the USA, as much as some of us do consider CO to be pretty much it's own planet (along with CA):)

9. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    There's a reindeer centre up at Glenmore - guided tours, pat a reindeer, buy a reindeer skin...

10. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    in ireland, american country and western copy acts are extremely popular. nathan carter for example is incredibly mediocre but makes a very healthy living between here and the UK with full-priced album sales and gigs. Garth Brooks caused a national outrage over bookings in one of our national sports stadiums there a few years ago:

http://www.independent.ie/entertain...nfirms-croke-park-cancellations-30430983.html

having said that, real american country acts rarely play here. they should, they'd make a bloody fortune as opposed to sleeping on park benches in nashville.

troy2003 likes this.

11. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    This'll probably put a smile on some faces. .. Some years ago, probably 20, and way before it became accessible here in stores.. I tasted Reindeer meat in Finland.. Back home plenty of folk treated me as if I'd personally killed "Rudolf" to get get it. :eek:

troy2003 and notmyusualuserid like this.

12. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Country has a lot in common with some tradition European folk music, especially British and Irish. Especially the stuff with lots of acoustic guitar and fiddle.

Bluegrass, for example, is basically just Scots and Irish folk speeded up.

So it's not that much of a leap from country to European traditional folk. If you noodle along to both kinds of music on your guitar, it's the same scales.

dr_tom likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

Caribou is commonly hunted and eaten by indigenous people in Canada. They are not not usually referred to as reindeer, to avoid the whole Rudolf thing. ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    troy2003 likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

Same scales different values?

Example: Zac Brown's Chicken Fried.

And a little bit of chicken fried
    Cold beer on a Friday night
    A pair of jeans that fit just right
    And the radio up
    I love to see the sun rise
    See the love in my woman's eyes
    Feel the touch of a precious child
    And know a mother's love
    Okay, that got sentimental, but cold beer? Okay, that's not a UK thing either :lol:
    But he continues:

I thank God for my life
    And for the stars and stripes
    May freedom forever fly, let it ring.
    Salute the ones who died
    The ones that give their lives
    So we don't have to sacrifice
    All the things we love​

A couple things we can't even talk about here! You can see how that may not travel to other cultures. Like Colorado.

blowtorch likes this.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    :lol:

16. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Good question. But then, why do jazz & blues have such worldwide appeal?

Country has always had a pretty big following in Scotland - I remember my grandparents having a bunch of old Hank, George Jones, Johnny Cash records. If I'm doing a solo gig and throw in a Merle Haggard or Dolly Parton cover, it's noticeable that pretty much anyone in the bar over the age of 50... their faces sort of cloud over and they just listen. i think it maybe reminds them of their parents or their own childhood perhaps. It's strange & also kind of lovely in a way.

In the end, I think it's like all good 'folk' music. Straight-up lyrics performed with soul by performers we can relate to because so many of them are just ordinary, flawed, working class people.

Sadly the whole modern/bro country package tours are becoming more prevalent, in the UK at least.

Flaneur, dr_tom, 41144 and 3 others like this.

17. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    That thing at the side of the stage at American bar gigs? It's not a spitoon or a tips jar is it? It's a sick bucket. :cry:

41144 likes this.

18. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    When I worked at the Country Music Hall of Fame, I learned how much a lot of Europeans loved American Country Music. Obviously referring to traditional country/Americana/folk, not so much the modern pop stuff. Bear Records is a German label that specializes in country music reissues. While it may not be a majority, there is definitely a strong/loyal following from our perspective here in Nashville.

ndcaster likes this.

19. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    Different, he said, picking his words carefully, cultural origins of the genres?

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I wonder what Luke Kelly fans would think of Tyler Childers:

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.