Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Non-Fender Telecasters

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by durango jon-boy, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    I'd love to find a Guild Tele - like the Roy Buchanan model or the one Joe Perry used. They seem to be quite rare.
  2. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    There is no such thing as a Tele that isn't a Fender. It might be a Tele copy or a Tele-style guitar, but if it isn't a Fender it isn't a Tele.
  3. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    In addition to a Fender Tele, I have a Hamer T-51, a G&L ASAT Special, and a FrankenTele fashioned from a Warmoth body and neck. I love'em all.

Nice Tele variation, Telenator. The way I see it, no guitar lends itself to different strokes than the Tele design.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

I play a few Rice Customs:

6. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

Dec 12, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
  7. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2005
    Kansas City
    G&L Tribute ASAT Special
  8. Heather Anne Peel

Heather Anne Peel Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2005
    Technically, this is correct, however, "Fender" would have to include the Squier variants, as well.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2004
    I have several non Fender teles. A Schecter Diamond Series PT Vintage, a Jackson/Charvel Texas Custom (Nashville style), a Yamaha 1511 Mike Stern, an Alverez Dana Scoop tele w/active electronics and a Levinson Blade Delta Thin line also with active electronics.
  10. FraKcture

FraKcture Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2006
    I own a '83 tokai breezysound tele.; moronic name but it's one fine instrument:cool:

11. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    Another Yamaha Pacifica 311 MS, orange stain

and a black Johnson JT800 tele clone (on my avatar, too)

(+ my modded MIM Standard Fender)

Attached Files:

12. stevedenver

stevedenver Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2003
    the mile high city
    a rose is a rose

my rose is a Scott Lentz t broadcaster blackguard

-pics in my gallery-boy do i love this guitar

...less $$$ than the Fender CS nocasters i played -and i played about four of em and many 52's before i made my choice-got more than i paid for ....
  13. elavd

elavd Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2005
    Ioannina - Greece
    I am in love with my Rockinger C.A.R. Tele:

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    If they qualify as Teles (not so sure):
    Mike Stern 1511 Yamaha and having John Suhr build a Tele style guit. with neck humbucker and bridge single coil.
    ZombieW---How do your Rice Custom and Linhof compare in sound and feel?
  15. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Tele-Meister

May 19, 2006
  16. Jeffrey

Jeffrey TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2006
    So Cal
    Here's my custom Tele built ny Phil Kubiki. Phil was the head of the Fender Custom Shop in the late sixties and personally built the famous rosewood Tele for George Harrison (and it's identical twin). This one I have is made from one solid piece of Zebrawood, and fitted with Seymour Duncan pickups. I added the six Graphtec saddles.

17. natsteel

natsteel Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2005
    the netherlands
    I own a Dutch made 1968 Egmond

18. stevedenver

stevedenver Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2003
    the mile high city
    DOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! thats beautiful-how much it weigh
  19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    A Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe doesn't have all too much "Telecaster" except for the body shape. Strat headstock with 2 humbuckers and Les Paul controls.
  20. Rathmann

Rathmann Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2006
    Milwaukee, Wis.
    A rose by any other name ...

Is my Fernandes TE-1N a "Tele?" To a certain extent it is like asking if any facial tissue is a "Kleenex." Once a product becomes completely identified with an entire product category, there is that tendency to use the product name in the generic. So much of the Telecaster has become an icon -- the body style, the lipstick-tube pickup cover, the bridge. Way I see it, if you look at a guitar and think "Tele," it is a Tele.

I have heard tell that Fender may soon prevent others from manufacturing guitars that have various of the identifiable Tele features -- not just the headstock but the body shape, etc. I am not sure if that would be in their best interest or not, or whether this is apocryphal.

However, when I finish my custom guitar project, I likely will not specifically call it a "Telecaster" as much as a "Korinacaster."
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  21. ghosttour

ghosttour Former Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Decatur, GA
    I have an Ibanez lawsuit-era Tele Deluxe. I love it.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.