Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NOMD (new old mower day)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CK Dexter Haven, May 16, 2018.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    MIL's neighbor had this out for "free" this afternoon, Hahn/Eclipse model 19 circa 1970 looks a little rough but runs ok, I will change the oil and put a new plug in and see where we stand.

Reminds me a bit of the old Lawn Boy I used occasionally BITD, but this is 4 stroke, obviously a "quality piece" with a cast deck (magnesium?) sealed (or possibly shielded) bearing wheels, be good for working around the beds (there are many) and taking some of the load off the little MTD she bought a few years back. Stock pix from the web but mine is just the same down to the amount and location of the "relicing" HE2.jpg

2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I’ve also copped a few free mowers and done OK. Used one through several trips to the lawnmower graveyard to resuscitate it, finally gave it away when I bought an old Deere lawn tractor. That thing is still doing heavy duty after 15-odd years, and she’s 26 years young.

Those good little 4-strokes are hard to kill.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    That's cool! I rescued a mid-60s Jacobsen push mower with a cast aluminum deck and a 3 hp Tecumseh engine several years ago. After cleaning the carb it fired right up.

These days it has a few cracks forming in the deck and it burns quite a bit of oil. I'll run it til it blows. After which it will be succeeded by a dumpster find high-wheel Poulan and a free Snapper commercial with an older side-valve Wisconsin Robin engine.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have had several of those over the years at the town house, including one from ATCO which is a high end UK company.. looked like something a kid would use but had die cast sided frames and oil cups EVERYWHERE. cool little sheet metal front mounted grass catcher. I may have a pix somewhere..

Before we had to do a main drain, I had a level lawn and it worked great, you could make a putting green, afterwards, it was lumpy so no so great, I switched to a old Craftsman, which was better, and now use a newer Husquavarna. The MIL's place is very uneven w/ a lot of clover, and other non grass cover, so the rotary works better.

When I was a kid a "old" guy in town had one of these.. which is also an Eclipse, Unknown-4.jpeg

Serious deal circa 1950, he would spend hours futzing with it, cleaning, oiling etc.

For years a neighbor moved his 1/2 acre lot with a Scotts reel mower, it was flat and treeless, and he really kept after the weeds & such, the older Scotts were extremely well made, and cut incredibly well. His place had that smooth green MCM look before it was cool.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Excellent design. What could possibly go wrong ? 472527-b31cd73953b9b07bd7d2eb0ca7e33f6d.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    nojazzhere likes this.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Flame war ahead about relicing lawn mowers! :eek:

Good find!

When I was a kid, my aunt's neighbor threw out a mower that wouldn't start. It looked nearly brand new.
    I must have been twelve or thirteen. I took the engine apart, like down the the head off, put it all back together. Swapped the spark plug and it fired up and ran great! We had a half acre of heavy lawn that got mowed with that for a decade. Too much oil got poured into it at one point - oil shot out of everything when it started. The self-propelled feature was too slow and that got removed somewhere in there, as did a lot of the plastic fairings and gizmos. Stripped down like a race car. Then it got dragged to college and mowed that place for another decade through various college kids' added abuse. Seems like someone ran the blades over a cement curb (that place had a lot of concrete around it) and bent the blades plus the main shaft and I heard it got beat back straight, in the mower, with a hammer. A new blade and it kept on going. It could still be up there.
    Some of those old mowers could take the abuse.

Clean that one up and make sure the relic is authentic :cool: !

8. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    To me if the motor starts and the blade goes round and round a lawn mower is good. I do like my Toro which is around 13-14 years old with push assist. I have a half acre lawn and would never consider a reel mower. I am not into making things harder that they should be. Of course, I would rather be fishing or playing guitar than mowing grass.

Oh, I only use it for trimming. I have a John Deere Lawn Tractor for the bigger parts.

Last edited: May 17, 2018

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

10. I curb picked this beauty... still using it today and that was over 10 years ago... just needed a new plug and a new set of shoes....

20140322_144328.jpg

Stubee and LocoTex like this.

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    These are neat!

My grandfather had a Yazoo high wheel self propelled mower with the old 4.5hp Clinton engine, I think they were advertised as 5hp mowers. He'd had it for years before I was born so I have no idea just how old it might have been. It had double belts that drove the blade, and a little belt that turned at right angles to itself, to run the sprockets that turned the rear wheels. I remember as a little kid him telling me it would cut down saplings "this big" and either holding up his thumb or his wrist, depending on the day.

He let me take it home when I was about sixteen, and I fooled around and got it running; it hadn't been cranked in my lifetime that I know of. The only thing was, it leaked oil about as fast as I could pour it in, and in those pre-internet days I could not find a lower shaft seal for the engine.

Eventually I took it to a repairman who swapped the engine out for a Tecumseh, 6hp I think. I used that mower to clear lots and mow rough stuff for nearly twenty years; there was little risk of bending the shaft because the blade belts took the shock of anything you ran over. My second wife sold it in a garage sale, not knowing its sentimental value.

My college roommate and his Dad did a complete restoration on an almost identical Yazoo. Theirs looked like they had just brought it home from a showroom.

12. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I got with the times & got an electric mower. I had a Toro pushmower before and the thing just wouldn't stay running. I took it to the local shop twice and it still wouldn't go after that. So I curbed it and bought an Ego electric pushmower.

I never have to pull a ripcord, measure oil/gas mix, maintain carburetors, spark plugs, etc. etc. Now I just drop a battery in it, pull back on the handle, and off I go. And it's a ton quieter than a gas guzzler.

Won't go back to a gas mower anymore.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    We have highbred Bermuda as our lawn grass. It must be maintained with a reel type mower. I have a Tru Cut that I've been using for almost 10 years that I bought used in like new condition ten years ago. It's still about the same as it was when I got it except for the paint fading. I have it serviced every other year. Blade sharpened, adjustments, carb cleaned and a new spark plug. The guy who services it for me comes and gets it and brings it back. We always have a nice visit, I think he only charges me twenty five bucks for the visiting.

PS:

The mower has a Honda engine that most of the time starts on the first pull no matter how long it has been sitting. At the most two pulls, and it's going like a sewing machine.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Oh - the old Eclipse Amputator . I remember it well from my days as a caddy...

15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I dunno. I'd be seriously concerned about the lack of warning stickers, outlet chutes, blade guards and safety interlocks. And that pull starter right on the engine? One might start it without even holding onto the pushbar! Think of the children!

Nah, really, good find. Just dump a good dollop of Sea Foam in the gas, maybe even shoot some right in the carb. And if there's a station around with ethanol-free gas, might be worth the 0.40 extra for those old gaskets and rubber parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.