Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nocaster neck pocket alignment

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by augustus94, Jan 12, 2018.

1. augustus94

augustus94 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 5, 2017
    Canada
    Hello, is this alignment issue to be expected on MB Nocasters..? My MB Stratocaster has a flush neck and I'd expect that to be that to a standard but I'm seeing a few nocasters on the internet who also have pockets that are not aligned flush like this.

Thanks.

NOCASTER:
    DennisGaluszka_Nocaster_3.jpg DennisGaluszka_Nocaster_5.jpg

STRATOCASTER:
    GregFessler_Stratocaster_2.jpg

2. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Yes. Many, but not all, of the Nocaster bodies were cut from a flawed template and had that little overhang, so that is 100% period accurate.

AJ Love likes this.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That is pretty typical of many of the CS Nocasters that I have seen online over the years.

Henfield Tele likes this.

4. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    Yep. Agree. My 51 Relic Telecaster has the overhang. It's done on purpose to be "historically accurate" in the production year these are replicating. Even though other parts of the guitar may not historically accurate.

5. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 18, 2003
    UK
    That is the way the originals were, and therefore is "period correct."

6. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Period Correct, loads are like that.

7. augustus94

augustus94 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 5, 2017
    Canada
    Hum. I thought I'd be annoyed but it's turning out to be a cute "feature" to have now that I know it's history, I guess.

8. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    When Fender put the Broadcaster and Esquire into production in 1950, the original templates were created without taking into account the necks had a small taper from heel to headstock.

The original body templates had a square neck pocket so when the necks were fitted many displayed the neck pocket overhang which was not properly rectified until late 1951 when the first logo-ed Telecasters were being produced.

When Gretsch wrote to Fender in 1950 pointing out that their use of the name Broadcaster potentially infringed their trademark of the snare drum called the Broadcaster, Fender snipped off all the Broadcaster makes off the decals (Leo Fender was a ‘waste not, want not’ sort of guy) and they used just the Fender part of the decal.

These guitars have historically been labelled Nocasters (although Fender never used this term in the 1950s) and were recreated in the late 1990s as I recall, Fender recreated this classic with all the faults, e.g. the neck pocket misalignment, routers hump and a milled jack cup.

Many are great guitars but I’ve seen a couple of stinkers - not great considering they are Fender Custom Shop guitars.

:) Peter

AJ Love likes this.

9. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Don’t know why Fender didn’t fight the cease and desist, wasn’t even the same spelling.
    Broadkaster.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Because Gretsch were big and established and Fender were a 2-man startup. Ironic Fender owning the rights to Gretsch now.

The reason the original 63 Firebird has a reverse body and upward-pointing headstock is Fender issued a cease and desist on Gibson for s imilarity to the Jazzmaster, Strat bodies and headstock.

Non-reverse Firebirds didn't appear for a few years. Probably once Gibson felt confident they'd win the case. As it turns out reverse Firebirds have always been more popular although expensive to make (neck through body).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    brenn and PeterUK like this.

11. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    What Dacious said!

;) Peter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.