Nocaster Identify?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ChuckHorton, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ChuckHorton

ChuckHorton TDPRI Member

Hoping y'all can help me identify a Tele. I'm mainly an acoustic player - did get a MIM Standard Tele last year and love to play it, but tend to be more of a mandolin/flat pick guitar/fiddler. Helping a friend move yesterday - he lent me this worn Tele that was kicking around his apartment.

Anyway - struck me as odd that the guitar was kind of beat up but didn't say "Telecaster" even though it was obviously one. I had heard about these early models called Nocasters but remembered them being pretty rare. Obviously this guitar couldn't be one of those. But if not...are there fakes out there, could it be a knockoff? Seems like the reissues have different serial number systems. Everything seems to match what I see on pictures of true blackguards - but I'm a bit confused by all the writing and notes on the neck block.

Serial number is 0316 which seems to be right for 1951...not reissue custom shop. Could it be a partscaster made to look like a Nocaster? Surely you could understand my skepticism for a potential holy grail guitar!

Oh! It sounds great too. Knocked my socks off. Thanks so much for your insight everyone - have a great day.

8BD72508-CB55-41FE-AB9C-35CC75252DD3.jpeg E8AC21AD-42B3-4372-A68B-0056089CB8D4.jpeg 8F0B33F7-86A4-4CF3-9D80-34BBE04BDDC7.jpeg 6FE5DD0B-B476-4D9C-B8D1-3FA290DD7B89.jpeg 11C43798-E882-42B3-949A-248F2CF1653E.jpeg 2BD1854B-CEDE-4A8C-8A9B-75C6766FACF4.jpeg 5710C8D4-5FAB-4A5F-A7E7-F56A4AB99243.jpeg 4000F100-532E-4AAA-A38A-276D280375FB.jpeg 85749B7E-360D-4211-B0D9-CA4CDC0645D6.jpeg 1CE14037-814C-4B12-931D-D268F64044A8.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I can’t answer your question honestly but man what a sweet looking Teley!!!!

uriah1 and ChuckHorton like this.
  3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

Stunning looking replica, almost had me until I saw the Mexican serial number on the neck! Wear on the back of the neck up to the headstock is also a bit over done but great to see the body done so well.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Nice try!!!!!;)

5. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    very nice indeed :)

6. ChuckHorton

ChuckHorton TDPRI Member

Thanks!! I knew I came to the right place. Could you point me in the direction of what model it actually is? A MIM Nocaster reissue? When were those manufactured? The various numbers on the bridge, neck and body confuse me. Much appreciated.

7. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    "1 X march 2X something", cant make it out form that stamp in the neck pocket

ChuckHorton likes this.
  8. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Hope you were good on the money end of it

9. ChuckHorton

ChuckHorton TDPRI Member

Haven't worked out the $$ part of it yet - what's the value?

10. ChuckHorton

ChuckHorton TDPRI Member

Thanks dude

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, neck pocket stamp of March 17? 2002?. Also sticker on back of neck, so MIM(?). Serial number stamped into bridge plate did not get 'rusty' as the Fender and Pat Pend did, looks much newer or at least not matching in wear.

Bad neck wear fakes have, on the back, often complete wear that quickly fades back to finish in places where they think the hand likely wouldn't have been that often. See the back at the higher frets where there is wear on the top and bottom but a triangle of finish in the middle of it--like someone just sanded willy nilly, rather than a hand that played regular styles/patterns may have caused less 'even' wear.

ChuckHorton likes this.
  12. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looks like it started life as a Roadworn. The basic wear patterns are the same ( before somebody took it further) and you can see where the word Telecaster was removed on the headstock.

Jim603 likes this.
  13. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Body part number in neck pocket points to a Road Worn 50s. Possibly 2009-ish?

ChuckHorton likes this.
  14. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Sticker with bar code is bit of a give away.

TreblaNitram, Piotr and OldDude2 like this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What is the asking price???? If it sounds good and has a good neck and IF some9ne likes the way it looks, I can see someone thinking it is a maybe a $365 guitar????? If they are asking much more, I would wonder why. What does the fretboard look like? I don’t like what I see in that one picture. Some folks don’t understand that if the finish that seals the fret slots from moisture, oils, and dirt is taken away the fret slots in a maple board are susceptible to black rot, and that complicates future refrets. If the board has been done that way, I might not want the guitar for much money at all.

nojazzhere and OldDude2 like this.
  16. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

On a quick inspection you may be tempted to take a second look.

It's only then when you may notice the modified decal, those bar code stickies and what looks like a twenty first century ink stamp in the neck pocket area, Non of which screams 'buy me!'. Then those "old style" Kluson type tuners which lack the correct markings for an early telecaster, and in fact look like they were added to the headstock after a couple too many wee drams of single malt whisky ..... and so it goes on.

Sorry folks but we've all seen them, and had that rush of blood to the brain ....... and then the cold after feeling that comes with the resulting realization that this is not what we had hoped for.

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Ask for a photo with the pickguard off, it's only 5 little screws and will tell you everything you need to know.

18. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Show your seller the barcode unless it's a time traveler...:rolleyes:

It's lived a hard life just not long as me:(

uriah1 likes this.
  19. markfowler54

markfowler54 TDPRI Member

Yeah, exactly. No UPC scan codes in 1950s! LOL

Wally and nojazzhere like this.
  20. ChuckHorton

ChuckHorton TDPRI Member

Hey thanks everyone! Appreciate the help and knew I could count on some LOLs :) I am grateful for the insights.

So the MO1998571 is a PART number revealing it is likely a "Road Worn '50s" neck, the 0316 serial number on the bridge should be ignored, the numbers 76784660 (I think) are stamped in the neck heel but don't seem to point to anything specific.

In addition to some "relic-ing" of his own, maybe the previous owner removed the serial number on the back of the headstock that seems to normally be there based on other online pics for Road Worns. I suppose it must have been easy enough to remove the word "Telecaster" from the decal on the front of the headstock.

Thanks for all the comments!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.