Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nocaster Disappointment

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Aaron1061, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    Got my new nocasters in yesterday and slapped them in my tele. Im not sure if its the tele or what but they are waaaaay brighter than the OV's I had in my american special tele. the bridge was advertised and praised as being warmer. nope. I like the neck pickup alot but the bridge is iceyyyyyyyyy and thin. There's a certain unpleasant "zing" to them as well.

I ordered a GFS hotter 52 alnico 5 bridge. They said that it helps with icey teles. We will see.

Brucesu and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

2. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    Have you tried raising the bridge pickup? These have less string pull than some other models, so you can get them closer to the strings.

On mine, they sound particularly good in my American Special if I roll the volume and tone back a little. It really fattens them up.

JayFreddy likes this.

3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy

4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    That is what I like about them .. That bridge is pure steel :) (tho I second rising it if you haven't already)

Aaron1061 likes this.

5. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    Ive raised and lowered them to no end. and if i roll back the tone, its okay but then the neck loses its sweet spot. I dont want to constantly roll the tone back and forth every time i switch positions while playing.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Sounds a bit odd re the bridge pickup. I have this set in my '50s Roadworn and would not describe the bridge as bright, more like a sweet mid balanced type tone.

uriah1 and JayFreddy like this.

7. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    What height do you have it at? I'm not opposed to tinkering a little.

8. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I also angle it so the pickup is lower under the high strings.

9. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    maybe the no load tone pot is whats throwing me off?

uriah1 likes this.

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Did you add it at the same time you added the pickups?

11. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Try these heights. This is how mine are set on one of my guitars. The measurements are taken with the High E and Low E depressed at the last fret.

Also, roll your tone back until it’s just on the other side of the no-load notch.

Neck Pickup:
    Fender CS '51 Nocaster Neck
    -------------------------
    Bass: 6/64"
    Treble: 5/64"

Bridge Pickup: Fender CS '51 Nocaster Bridge
    -------------------------
    Bass: 6.5/64"
    Treble: 5.5/64"

One final thought, is your volume pot turned all the way up? If not, does it have a treble bleed?

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    1) I solved an icepick bridge pickup problem by installing a GFS overwound telecaster pickup. Worked like a champ.

2) I am experiencing a nocaster disappointment right now also. I have no caster. None. Not one telecaster in my possession right now.

cactusrob, TeleTown, RoyBGood and 4 others like this.

13. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    it came stock in the tele i purchased.

14. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    hahahaha.

15. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    That is your culprit. The neck probably sounds great with it. On the bridge, the 250k pot tames it in a pleasant way.

I get what your saying about not wanting to play with volume and tone when switching between pickups. I used to be the same way. It really does make a huge difference though once you integrate that into your playing. I think some of the perceived brightness is also caused by the contrast from going back and forth between the neck and bridge.

Another option would be to bypass the tone on the neck, so it always has no load.

uriah1 and Aaron1061 like this.

16. Brucesu

Brucesu TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Arizona

That’s weird. I had a telecaster recently with nocaster pickups, and I thought the sound was perfection. Not shrill or thin at all, playing the bridge pickup made me feel like a true rock n roll slut!

Aaron1061 likes this.

17. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL

volume all the way up. doesnt seem like there is a treble bleed but i could be wrong!

and thanks! Ill try all of that out. i really think the no load is what was messing me up.

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.

18. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Another Tele of mine has the same pickups set almost the same except get rid of the .5 on each of the bridge measurements.

As for the no-load, if you turn it down just past the detent it is essentially just like a regular tone pot.

bender66 likes this.

19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I have the Nocaster set quite high.

20. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    My Nocaster is definitely not ice pickey or bright on the bridge. Many years ago I got in to swapping out pickups in my teles attempting to achieve the ultimate tone. I must have been through every type of third party pickup going. Even ripped everything out of one tele and put in Kinman Broacasters with their soderless wiring harness. I was never fully satisified and it seemed that I was expecting pickup changes to perform miracles.
    Eventually I ended up judging guitars based on the complete guitar and not just pickups. Now I only buy guitars that I'm completely satisfied with the way they come.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    MitchMiami likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.