Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nobody home: cranked my Classic 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by P Thought, Feb 7, 2012.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Hoo, boy.

I play my Peavey Classic 50 with the amp turned up and the guitar turned down, most of the time, and I enjoy it that way, but today there's nobody home, and I got here while most of the neighbors would still be at work, so I dimed the guitar volume. I played as long and loud as I could stand it. I still haven't figured exactly what all the knobs do, but they do it loudly when they're pointed at the big numbers (8s and 9s; the 12s scare me.)

I wish I'd had one of these when I was a kid. Maybe not though, 'cause I can kind of hear still.
  2. CDKopf

CDKopf Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa
    Fun aint it.
  3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Nice....I love to play just below ear hurting volume
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    You gotta do that more often.
  6. LiveAtLeeds

LiveAtLeeds Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2011
    A couple days ago I was in the same situation - no one home, neighbors out, and for the first time I cranked my Delta Blues. Now my OD pedal just sounds lame :lol:
  7. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    I have a PV Classic 30. I think the classics need to be turned up to fully appreciate the hidden potential of these amps.

If all you do is try them out quickly in a guitar store or play at home with the volume less than say on 2, the amp really doesn't get to moving enough air to show off what they can do. Turn them up to half throttle and play a Tele on the rear pickup and it all becomes clear (well semi-distorted actually!).

Great cheap amps.
  8. reverb_addict

reverb_addict TDPRI Member

May 24, 2011
    I agree with this. When my classic 30 is at home volumes it sounds really thin on the overdrive but when I can crank it (usually all the way up to twelve on the normal channel) I get a very nice, extremely thick overdrive that's perfect for hardcore punk. I have noticed though that I can get a very nice clean surf or rockabilly tone at home volumes.
  9. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    I think I put up the same post two weeks ago, just a bj though. There's not much better than opening her up when you only have that opportunity rarely. It's up there.

10. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2011
    Nashville TN
    If you really crank that amp up there's no need for distortion whatsoever; the loudness & feedback will make any guitar ring like a bell. I learned that lesson as a teen with my Standel super-loud transistor amp.

Unfortunately, unless you are Albert King, or a rock star, you won't be welcome on many real-world gigs playing that loud. Best to get that guilty pleasure done when no one's around!
  11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

My other amp is a Blues Junior. It's the one I use most of the time. I've never dimed it, but I often play it at comfortably loud levels. I thought about cranking it last night, too, but by that time neighbors were arriving home, and my ears were kind of, well, you know.
  12. Butler

Butler TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Now try it with a 100 watt twin turned all the way up :)
  13. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I bought an old 100 watt Twin this last December. I have not been able to get it above 5 so far. I really do need to put in the ear plugs, stand in the hallway, turn it up to 10 and see what happens.

But ya we wouldn't need half the pedals we use if we could dime our amps all the time.
  14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Is there any paint left on your walls?
  15. KMoss

KMoss TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    PERFECT!!! I live out in the country by myself and my neighbors are awesome. One don't care how loud as long as some Eagles are thrown in there for good measure and the other will grab his guitar and come join me if he hears me. Just goes to show, be good to your neighbors and you'll have good neighbors. Rock on!!!!
  16. pdxjoel

pdxjoel Tele-Holic

Nov 2, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Met a guy who had brought his SG and a full Marshall stack to college my freshman year. I'll never forget filing down the hall during a fire drill, alarms wailing, hearing someone just shredding, clear as a bell over all the noise. Got to his door, and there he was, plugged in and turned to 11. He just shrugged, with a "when else do I get to crank it?" look on his face. Nothing quite sounds like a tube amp cranked. Nothing.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.