Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NOAD: Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MisterZ, Aug 21, 2018.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    While I was buying that new Gretsch that I mentioned in the other thread, I bought a used Katana 50. I have to say, I wasn't prepared to like it as much as I do - to the point that I traded in my Blues Jr. on it Once I download the user manual and figure out how to preset things I think this might be a really great purchase.

richey88, Georox and GuitarPix like this.

2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    Congrats. I’m really happy with my Katana.

MisterZ likes this.

3. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Congrats.

MisterZ likes this.

4. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    I have the 100 watt combo. Great amp! Download the sneaky amps (just google them) and you can get some more great sounds. But, it’s still a great amp in it's stock form. Have fun!

MisterZ likes this.

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    Congratulations!

I've got a Katana 50, and I use it more than my other amps. It works really well with my low output, single coil Strats. I find it much easier to dial-in than my Fender amps.

MisterZ likes this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    I’ve got to get one of those!

MisterZ likes this.

7. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Won't be able to download anything, much less connect to BTS. I have a Chromebook.

8. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    No worries, the amp is great by itself anyway!

MisterZ likes this.

9. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

If you have the opportunity, even if it's only on a borrowed computer, it would be nice to connect to Boss Tone Studio at least once.

For one thing, the v2 amp firmware doubles the number of presets you can save and access by using a two-button footswitch, as well as adding other refinements.

For another, it's really nice to be able to access some of the other built in effects. For instance, my favourite overdrive with the clean channel is the Treble Booster, so I have made it my default. You may find other set it and forget it settings that would be good to set permanently.

In my case, I have the headphone output set for added cab resonance, and I also dialed in a bit of Global EQ to fatten up the low end. This is helpful if you want your 50 to have a little more of the Katana 100's tone profile.

After setting up a few tweaks with the extra hidden knobs (like the presence control), I have rarely found any reason to go back in. I mostly use it as though it was a conventional amp.

MisterZ likes this.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    The Katana seem to be fulfilling the role that used to belong to Peavey.

Even steel guitarists are adopting the K100 as a decent practice amp that can be used on a gig in a pinch.

I really like the idea of including the 5 inch speaker in the Katana 100 head for bedroom practice.

Someday I will own one.

MisterZ likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.