Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NOAD! Gibson Explorer

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Minimalist518, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I just returned from the music store with this old road warrior where I had it recapped and they discovered and repaired a factory ground error. I did a little research, I believe it to be c. '65 based on appearance and feature set.
    While new to me in terms of ownership, I am extremely well acquainted with this amp having borrowed it from our bass player for small gigs with my band four bands ago.
    She contacted me over the summer and asked if I wanted to buy it. I always loved this amp with an abiding passion, LOL, 12 w of killer vibe! So I said, "heckity-yeah! How much?" She said $100 because it needed work. I have a $100 into it for the repairs. That's still darned good for an amp of this quality and vintage!
    Can't wait to fire it up tonight, but I'm burning daylight and have a honey-do list that needs doing.
    I'll post more later. IMG_3304.JPG IMG_3305.JPG

jimytheassassin and LPTyler like this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have to stop reading these kinds of threads. They disgust me.

I've been looking for ages for a bargain on something vintage, ANYTHING vintage, and I never even come close.

Enjoy your new amp you *^%*&!!!

drf64 likes this.

3. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    The worst places for me is ebay and Reverb in the last month I purchased two
    amps a Gibson GA40T and last week a Fender Deluxe 5B3 nether one was in
    operating shape when I got them.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I have the Gibson version of the Champ, this seems similar to an early same era p/p Princeton. Very cool.

Minimalist518 and SheldonP like this.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    i have what looks like the era as yours that i pair with a same era ga20rvt. i usually have one with reverb on and one with tremolo.

play music!

Minimalist518 likes this.

6. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Sweet! I love both those functions on mine. It's a very atmospheric amp. I could see using it without pedals doing a solo electric singer/songwriter thing or with my big pedalboard for an ambient/drone art gallery type gig.
    If I were to record, I think I'd do spacey rhythm parts and overdubs in stereo with my Bassbreaker 15 as the dry and the Explorer as the wet amp. It seems like too much work to set up live though when the effect would be lost in a (hopefully) crowded room.

7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    i really enjoy pairing amps. unless i'm working on one, i almost always do a pairing. i just replaced the filter caps on my 75 champ and 76 vibro champ. i run the vibro with the vibro and the champ clean, spread them apart, hook up an aby pedal and i'm in heaven. i also do this with my 5e3 build and a 66 deluxe reverb.

play music!

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    That's a steal of a buy.

9. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Yeah, I'm happy ! It's not the kind of thing that would've happened without the shared band history and the hours I logged on the amp years ago.
    I also suspect our former bassist maybe thought the repairs would cost more and just wanted to clear out her stockpiled, dust-gathering gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.