Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NOAD Fender 1980s Superchamp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dacious, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MichaelGP

MichaelGP TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Bendyha - are you saying the original speaker you removed is the one on the right and is a Pyle?

This is the speaker in my recently acquired SC.

[​IMG]

With the only numbers stamped on the cone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    You can always tell a Pyle speaker by those 4 little indents in the middle of the magnet assembly. Is that the Pyle 10" that Derek Trucks likes?. If so, he likes them because they are inefficient and tame his Super Reverb and Super 6 amps a bit.
    Al

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Zombiwoof, no, this OEM Pyle that came in the Super Champs are not the Trucks speakers. Those are, as I understand it, the MH 20 and MH40 Pyles. I have one Trucks Pyle....and I have run it on a Super Champ. Very odd speaker, ime and imho. IN the clean mode, I find it to be a decent speaker....not inefficient, good low end, sparkle. However, when I pulled the Mid boost out, the speaker took on a lightly different character in that it seemed to have lost some efficiency...it 'stepped back' just a bit. That is an odd way of describing a speaker, but that is what it was like. then, when I pulled the Lead mode pot, it REALLY stepped back. It lost a great deal of presence/volume/whatever it was losing. Maybe it compresses a great deal???? At any rate, there is too much of a difference between the modes for it to be a usable speaker for me.
    in comparison, the Emi ALK 1028 and the EVI in a Super Champ both yield equal volumes in all three modes due to amp compression in the gainier modes. Great speakers...in a great amp, imho.
    Perhaps Trucks was attracted to these Pyle's just fro that reason. They can make a BF circuit compress and be smoother...at the cost of volume, ime. That drastic compression does yield a smooth distortion....which might be good for slide. However, I did not like the difference in the volume level that came with the gain changes. IF one were running an amp in one mode with proper settings for the sound one wanted, perhaps it is a decent speaker.

Bendyha likes this.
  4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Yeah, Trucks likes the low efficiency Pyle in those loud Super Reverbs and Super Six amps he uses because they get his sound at less-than deafening levels. Weber makes the DT10 speaker that is a copy of the Pyle he likes, at first it was only made for and sold by Lord Valve's NBS Electronics, LV was Trucks' amp tech at the time. Later, LV allowed Weber to sell it on their site.
    Al

5. MichaelGP

MichaelGP TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I peeled the SN sticker off to confirm no indents. Anyone know what speaker this is?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Ime, the codes are under that blue label. Sometimes one can carefully lift the label to read the codes without seriously damaging the label. Razor blades are handy. Is there a grey label on the side of the magnet?

7. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany
    Looks like there might be a bit of code stamp showing on the side there: upload_2019-1-12_17-41-44.png

MichaelGP likes this.
  8. MichaelGP

MichaelGP TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    No label at all around the magnet. I will leave the blue Fender label as is.

Edit: I’ve plugged the amp into a Eminence 12” Red Coat Governor in a mojotone tweed cabinet as well as the OEM 12” Black Shadow speaker in my Mesa Boogie Studio Series amp (circa 1985) - mixed results, nothing earth shattering. The Governor was warmer, boomier, and seemed louder than the 10” SC. The Black Shadow was thin and unimmpressive. I’m back to using the 10” in the SC and like it.

Just wondering what that speaker is.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Mesa put the Black Shadow label on a variety of speakers....so there’s to add to confusion about speakers, right? and.....sometimes a camera shot can be taken too close....or maybe your camera is a ‘big’ picture and we are only see8ng part of it. If so, one can reduce the ‘size’.

Oops...my bad...Bendyha gave us that close up.

MichaelGP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.