Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NOAD Fender 1980s Superchamp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dacious, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Wally - all is forgiven!

It finally arrived after two weeks of pfaffing by Pitney Bowes - another eBay ripoff.

All I can say is, wow! Cherry is an over used term like mint, but this amp... IMG_20180409_101809.jpg

Speaker is the Eminence dated 8403. It has a factory-original 8ohm outlet with Fender pigtail speaker jack.
    IMG_20180409_102936.jpg

Tubes - preamps are white lettering Fender branded GE 12A_7s, the 6C10 is Fender Special Design branded and the 6V6s Fender branded smoked glass.

Edit: the two Fender branded preamp tubes are 5751s!

15232541305395324599262190410041.jpg

IMG_20180409_103609.jpg

IMG_20180409_103550.jpg

Serial - F400640. Two-pin red molded mains plug.

It appears super clean and original. It's had pot cleaner sprayed everywhere. Very 'alive' - typical cathodyne PI touch responsiveness.

The sound! OMFG! I know the Eminence isn't meant to be great, but BF on 'roids. It sounds like a really strong Deluxe Reverb or punchier than my old VR even.

Pull mids - wow! Just wow! Fat tweed Bassman tone.

Going to pull the chassis for a look see, but this is one tough little mofo. If I can tame the dirt just a little maybe with Bendyha's mods, this is small-gig nirvana. I have a couple great, sweet Australian Phillips AU7s I'm going to try, Wally.

I honestly don't know if I need to change the circuit, it's like a slightly fat Fender or clean Mesa. The reverb is cool, too.

It is big, fat and ballsy, master on 7-8, clean volume on 6-7, treble 6-7, bass 4-5. Very in-your-face.

Just a hint of breakup on clean no-mids, tons of headroom.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Had one,sold it like an idiot.......
    Happy NAD,enjoy!

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Did you pay the ask (if I may ask) the last one I saw was a bit less, I thought it was a bit much as I paid @ 600 for the two I had, a few years back.

4. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I offered $850 and it was accepted. They had BIN of $1050. Going by concluded auctions and sales on Reverb that seems the going price. Would have been better if it included the footswitch.

There's one other of these in Aus, the guy's asking $1800US for it. US Fender amps and guitars are very exxy here.

5. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    That's how much this one was. I've been thinking about it, as it sounds much better than the others I had.

6. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I have no baseline for this, I've heard 'Rivera era' or Jahns-designed amps before, and of course tastes change. This is way more sparkly and responsive than I recall for Super 112 or Concert 410 I heard.

Maybe when these were new the prized scooped tones weren't to be had, I like the punch and immediacy of 10s but many prefer 12s so it seems the main strike against these was subjective - they didn't sound 'like an old one'.

I think the split tail PI coupled with the preamp from tweed-blonde-brown era and the scooped BF controls and reverb adds a lot of features which on the face appear to be at odds.

I think this is the sort of amp that Mesa is making - so to some it's too aggressive and too immediate.

7. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Welcome to the club, you might want to source a spare 6c10 while you can, not that I've ever had one go on me, just good to have as a backup.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Congrats... looks cool!

9. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Big Congrats!

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yep, those rule, and you got a nice one. There was one at my local Guitar Center for a while with a price tag of $799 USD or $899 USD, I can't remember which. I couldn't bring myself to buy it, as I just don't need it. But I sure wished I could have. The sound was just as you described in your first post. I'm a big believer in the Rivera Super Champs. Enjoy!

11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Cool amp! Congratulations!

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Very nice.

Congrats.

My two experiences with SC's :

- When I bought my first tube amp in the late 80's it was from an ad in the local paper. He had two for the same price each/pick one : A Rivera Super Champ or a Silvertone 1482. Price ? $125. I picked the 1482 ! :lol:

- Played an outdoor festival with my band last summer and noticed that our lead singer's guitar sounded fantastic. We were playing though half of a supplied backline. His amp ? A Rivera Champ II - the SC's half-brother. Wow - what a great sound. Both are def on my wish list now...o_O

lp special likes this.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Congrats, Dacious. Great price, imho. These amps are bargains in the marketplace. I have turned down &1500 for one of mine...equipped with the EVI/Force speaker. Yes, I value them above the market. Fwiw, I gave $175 apiece for mine 25 years ago...and the second one came without a speaker.
    It appears that the Reverb cables have been replaced...or at least the plugs have been changed? These came with molded cables/plugs.
    Re: Fender logo’d 5751’s....I have never seen such. As for your 12AU7’s.....they will work in the amp in V1 input gain stage but were designed for only one application...drivers. V2, which should be a 12AT7 from the factory, is the Reverb driver. The AU is a low gain AT, and I have run an AU in that position. This not only subdues the Reverb signal but also reduces gain in the Lead mode since V2 is robbed from the Reverb circuit for the extra gain for that Lead mode operation.

Enjoy....

14. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yes, the 5751 in the reverb driver position made it overgainy and squeally. I agree the reverb cables are not original, way too long.

I fitted a Lorenz 12AX7 in V1 and Miniwatt 12AU7 in V2. Much smoother and much, much nicer reverb and drive. It's very full sounding.

I'm not convinced the Emi speaker is terrible, It's really efficient - earbleed loud!

It's possible it has some other tweaks I think.

Be interesting to check inside.

So far really impressed.

15. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Well, speakers are subjective, but...
    .ime, the OEM Emi doesn’t have a problem with articulation or efficiency....it simply lacks a wide range response...it is bright and harsh to my ear. Ommv....but I have no use for it. the OEM Pyle has a fuller range but is inarticulate.

16. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Ah, the speaker is a 6-hole drilled for 4 bolt mounting. 064121 is the part number.

IMG_20180410_000654.jpg

I wonder if it's not from something else, the other screwholes have had screws fastened Yes it's fairly bright and I suspect could be fatiguing.

17. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Dacious, thanks for the picture of that speaker. That magnet looks a big large for the OEM Eminence that was stock to the SC...iirc. I also have never seen a 6 hole Emi speaker...but the codes are there, aren’t they. in fact, the only 6 hole speaker I have seen was a 150 watt MICJohnson speaker that I ordered out of curiosity some 20years ago....it cost me $19 wholesale....great speaker...better than any Celestion logo’d MIC speaker I have heard since, in fact.
    I’ll check the Emi I pulled out of my first SC to see the part number. I don’t think that is the normal speaker in your amp...but strange things happen in factories...it could be original....or someone could have used a different 1984 Eminence in the amp????

18. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    The one I was looking at a few weeks ago also has that large magnet, which struck me as different from the usual.
    I didn't look any closer, but the amp was quite clean, and seemed very original.

Dacious likes this.
  19. Dacious

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Well, I thought that part no. was familiar. It's the Fender part number for a CTS speaker from a Vibrolux Reverb. I remember both the alnico and ceramic versions I had used that number.

So - maybe Fender told Eminence to start supplying similar just using that part number? 67-8403 is Eminence with the later four digit date code I think?

Maybe Eminence supplied some speakers to finish off some late 70 watt Super Reverbs?

Six holes is weird.

It doesn't look like a recone,. That's a big dustcover.
    15232847502719156584621323874593.jpg

Wally likes this.
  20. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If they needed a 10” speaker and were out of what they normally put in there, they would have gone with any other 10” they had in the inventory. If that Eminence has good low end, it is not the same speaker that came in my first SC......or any of the others I have seen with OEM Emi’s. I’ll still check the OEM I have boxed up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.