Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

No sound from my guitar

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telejan, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Telejan

Telejan TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    New York
    I was playing my electric guitar today and all of a sudden the guitar wasn't coming out through the amp. The amp was still on and i could still hear the normal noise an amp makes but when i strummed nothing. Is it possible for an electric guitar to just stop working? I used 3 different wires to make sure. I put the volume all the way up on the guitar and amp. Nothing. I'm so scared, I have a show on Thursday.....please help!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  2. KevinV

KevinV Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2009
    Central Florida
    Open it up and check the wiring...a solder joint probably came off somewhere.

3. Spunky

Spunky TDPRI Member

May 1, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Did you try another Guitar to eliminate the amp being the problem??

S

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Telejan

Telejan TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    New York
    I don't know any technical speak what does that mean? where do I open it up?

6. Telejan

Telejan TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    New York
    I only have one electric, well two but the other one is in the process of rebirth.

7. JIblue

JIblue TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2010
    long island,ny
    speaker wire, ground, fuse? Good luck

8. Spunky

Spunky TDPRI Member

May 1, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    If it is a Tele then look under the switch control cavity and the pickguard.

S

9. KevinV

KevinV Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2009
    Central Florida
    Then I would recommend taking it to a guitar shop to have them check it out.

10. bottled

bottled Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    In the first instance I would go with the simple elimination troubleshooting mentioned above. Swop out things.. swop the lead.. the guitar.. check settings/ amp channels. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can see something simple that was missed..

11. Elrathia

Elrathia TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Houston
    Check the amp by plugging in a cable and touching the tip with your finger.. you will know it if the amplifier is working. Next likely thing is the input jack, pull it out and make sure the wires are still connected, then pull the control plate out and start checking connections.. If it stopped working, its an easy fix... its a wire off somewhere...

12. cdienhart

cdienhart TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Elgin, Texas
    Pull off the cover where the wire hooks up to the guitar .Check the wires connecting to the input .One might have come off . That is what happend to my 02 strat.

13. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2004
    Upper Holland, PA
    Do you have an extra cable to try?

Make sure the cable is good before you start freaking about the guitar.

Jim

14. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    where in New York are you?

15. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    Don't listen to him, everything will be fine. The telecaster is a simple machine and any repairman can have you back in business quickly and cheaply. Just make sure you check the thins above to make sure it's not the cable or amp.

16. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    I would try looking at your guitar first. Take the control plate off and check for loose wiring on the switch, pots and jack. For someone with no experience, it is too dangerous to go poking around inside your amp. Is there any way you could take your guitar, cable and amp to a guitar store? They should let you try your guitar in an amp. If that works, you know it's the amp. Then try one of their cables. By the process of elimination, you should be able to figure it out. They should help if they think they might get a repair out of it. Good luck.

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Plug the guitar's cord into the amp... touch the tip of the plug that goes into the guitar.. you should hear a relatively loud humm... if so Good, it's not the amp....

Check the wiring in the guitar.

Ron Kirn

18. Rumblebones

Rumblebones Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2008
    Fullerton, CA.
    Guitar shop for you dude.

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep, it you are tool or Soldering gun "Challenged" find some one that isn't and have them do it... no matter how detailed our instructions are, you're gonna screw something up, probably to the extent it cannot be fixed inexpensively.

Ron

20. Telejan

Telejan TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    New York
    Staten Island

21. Telejan

Telejan TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    New York
    Now I know it's the amp. I borrowed my cousin's guitar and plugged it in, nothing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.