Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

No more Mexican 'Standard'...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AndrewG, May 14, 2018.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I have it on good authority that the MIM Standards are shortly going to be no more, to be replaced with new models featuring two point vibratos (on the Strats, obviously), vintage-style spaghetti logos, and a new range of colours. The 'Standard' name will disappear. I have no idea what pickups will be used. Has anyone else heard anything? My 'good authority' is the manager of a well known and old established store here in Exeter, whom I have known for over 20 years, and trust. Oh, and expect a price hike...

3-Chord-Genius and tery like this.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

As long as they don't mess with the MIM Classic series...

3. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Tele-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Big fan of the Spaghetti logos. I've heard rumors about this change for a couple weeks now. I'm looking forward to see what the new color combos might be.

4. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Summer NAMM?

PearlJamNoCode likes this.

5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I'd like to see more reds and greens in the new models-and rosewood fretboards on the Telecaster!

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    That sucks; my MIM standard tele is my #1 guitar now since putting Dimarzio Area T pickups in it.

I'm also wondering if anything is happening to the Squier Standard tele... GC shows it "backordered." Sweetwater says they have it but Sam Ash does not.

All I want is some kind of decently playable, vaguely white-colored, rosewood/pau ferro fretboard tele for less than $700! (There's probably still a ton of stuff I'm sure; just groaning.)

moosie likes this.

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Colors is an easy thing to change but I'm not sure what else they can change as it seems they have to have an entry level Tele that is a proper Telecaster.

My guesses for most likely things to change would probably:
    - Switch to vintage style 3-saddle bridge since it's more authentic and so many people like it better
    - Maybe ditch the ceramic hot pickups?

I have a 2016 MIM Std and I am fine with the modern bridge but I got rid of the the ceramic pickups.

Telegoober likes this.

8. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    As long as by "rosewood" you mean "pao ferro" :D

Telegoober and jondanger like this.

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Time to buy up all the good old MIM's I guess!

SteveGangi likes this.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Will the different logo affect the tone? :)

11. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    no, but the color will. ;)

12. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    As long as it's Antigua.

Titan runs and hides, laughing hysterically

13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Yeah, a change is comin', folks. And I don't think I'm gonna like it. The MIM Standard Tele is the icon of utilitarian design for the common man, and to eliminate it would be sacrilege!

SteveGangi and Obsessed like this.

14. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Yep!

15. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Change the color , pickups , name and increase the price $100 Bucks :)

16. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Let me guess, arctic white/ sunburst/ black and a couple of other colors?

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That is Fender's MO for the past few years. For the USA models they've had 2 fairly well-receive changes (American Professionals and American Elites), and it seems like the 2016 update to the MIM Deluxe series has also been fairly well received.

We'll have to wait and see what Fender does with the replacements for the MIM Standards.

Lawdawg and tery like this.

18. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Glad I grabbed my 2018 Standard before the hook:

[​IMG]

SteveGangi and JayFreddy like this.

19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Atlanta
    That's what I was about to say! Regardless of whether you think the new Pro and Elites are an improvement (I do), Fender made some significant changes to the American made lines. I think Fender's guitar line was getting pretty stale and I'm cautiously optimistic that whatever takes the place of the MIM standard line will be at least a modest improvement.

I now the purists will scream, but I would love for the 'standard' tele line to include the 4- way switch as standard. The N+B in series pickup configuration just adds so much versatility to a tele.

qblue likes this.

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I'd be cool with the 4-way. The Standard is already not "vintage" with the ceramic pickups and modern bridge. It'd add more variety to the line.

The only thing is the 4th position being hotter than the normal 3 standard positions, and the standard pickups were already really hot. But the guitar was also noisy so the 4th position might be quieter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.