No love for my beautiful acoustic anymore, sad

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, May 14, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Around 7 or 8 months ago I had my beautiful handmade S. Yairi guitar stolen right under my nose. I couldn't believe it.
    I was at a bus stop on my way to give a lesson (my day job since '89) with my bike and guitar in a nice soft shoulder case. My mistake was I took it off my shoulder to put my bike on the bus rack. I turned around and it was gone. Yes there were people also at the stop and no, no one saw it lifted or they didn't speak up. I've been without an acoustic ever since.

I bought the guitar in '73. It was a handmade S. Yairi, grandpa Yairi, one of the master luthiers of Japan. It was a plain, no frills dreadnought. I had it for 46 years and easily put my 10,000 hrs into it 3x over. Always had a light string touch, chords were easy and no buzz, it was true to normal guitar intonation, I say that because all regular guitars are always out of tune, that's what I call the "twang appeal".

Anyway, I've been missing it and need to get something soon, I haven't had any energy to even check out a replacement yet. Plus I don't have the cash to get what I would really want like a Taylor or something.

My first summer without an acoustic in my adult life, I'm 65.

At least I have my G&L ASAT Special and my wonderful little Katana 50, plus a dobro and a fretless electric that I made, mostly it just hangs there collecting dust, I need a better one.

2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

I’m so sorry to hear about that. I hope you find another acoustic that can somehow measure up.

dswo likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

So sorry ASAT.
    I'm not sure what else to say except that that sucks, but you already know that.
    Sorry brudda

4. Jared macneill

Jared macneill TDPRI Member

O ****. I had to read this over at least twice
    . Im sorry this happend. Put up adds lots of them with pictures . Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

5. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Gut wrenching to hear of that. The Yairi sounded awesome. Eventually you gotta get something like that again.

FWIW, I love my Huss and Dalton. The only acoustics I've played as nice have been one I played on made by Harvey Leach, and Stuart Mossman's personal guitar.

Summer time + acoustic guitars + outside = great fun. What about a Martin backpacker or some other travel-sized guitars? IME, the Little Martins are a bit better than the Baby Taylors. It kinda drives me nuts to see those 2 screws going through the fretboard on the Baby Taylors.

If outside playing isn't your thing, what about procuring a cheaper "house acoustic" that plays surprisingly well for the price, as a stopgap until you gather the funds for the proper replacement? I love my Ibanez acoustic for a cheapish house guitar. There are some pretty affordable Breedloves these days too. Even some $400 acoustics can be a joy to play.

Considering how great you made the last one sound, I dunno if you can expect replace it quickly with another guitar that good. But I also think you should get back on that acoustic horse sooner than later, even if it isn't immediately another master weapon.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

shame to lose a fine guitar like that...

I had one here a few years back for a set up.... a parent at the school bought it for her daughter off a friend who said it was a good guitar to keep.... she was going to go busking with it...

After I checked it out saw the quality, heard the tone and researched the name, I advised her to keep it at home and buy a cheaper beater guitar for busking in case it got scratched up or pinched ....

I hope they took the advise....

was it like this one?...

S.Yairi guitar.jpg

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0747.JPG

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, theft sucks, that's why we have to have Police.
    I know a guy who had his Les Paul stolen and they told him to check a famous pawnshop chain, guess what?
    You can't replace an old S. Yairi so I guess you'll have to start thinking second hand or other brands. sorry to have to say so.

8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to read this.
    Nobody @ law enf will ever understand when you tell 'em this has been yr guitar for decades and that a "replacement" isn't readily available @ retail shop.
    It's gonna take time.
    Grieve here w/ folks who understand.
    Peace - Deeve

Obsessed and aerhed like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I would post pictures and offer a large reward for its return along with the right hand or location of the thief that stole it. It's likely that one of his associates will rat him out for the right price and with a bit of persuasion you could probably get that reward money back from him too with a little on top for your trouble.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You have played so long with one acoustic, that you have earned the one you want. Splurge and get that
    Taylor you prize and enjoy.

DrPepper likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sincerely sorry that someone stole your guitar. To have one for that long, then have someone just steal it is just heartbreaking! I'm truly sorry. I hope you find something you like, it's doubtful you'll find anything you like better, but I hope you can find something you can at least live with.

12. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I'm really sorry for you. Perhaps the thief will try to sell your guitar and you might find it on ebay in a few weeks

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Which red knob Fender amp is that one with the black speaker fabric behind the acoustic? I hope you've contributed the red knob series thread!

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

it's a super 210 with some mods, it's probably in there somewhere......:)

15. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

File a police report first, they may not find it quick, but people who steal things tend to get arrested, and stuff gets recovered. Check the pawn shops, it may end up being pawned by either the guy who stole it, or whoever steals it from him. Check out Craigslist, lots of stolen stuff ends up there, and think about putting in an ad looking for an old acoustic guitar you want to buy for your kid.

In my irresponsible youth, I used to date a crackhead stripper, who, with her friends, stole lots of my things. I was able to get most of them back.

I'm in Japan, and there are a lot of old S Yairi guitars for sale out here. If you know the model, I can find you another one, but they are well-loved guitars nowadays, and are getting more expensive.

radiocaster likes this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Boy, that's a sad story. I'm sure you'll get another acoustic soon, and I hope it's a good one, but of course there's no replacing what you lost, even with another one just like it.

17. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

don't give it up without a fight. your guitar is really rare so keep a close eye on the classifieds, pawn shops etc. report the serial number to the cops as stolen. is there cctv footage you can access to identify the thief? is it insured?
    i'd get mad first before i get sorry. that's not just an instrument, that's the tools of your trade and you need make that point to the cops to keep an eye out.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  18. Charlodius

Charlodius TDPRI Member

I’m sorry this happened. There is no replacement for an old friend like that. My recommendation is to buy a Taylor. If you can find a pre 2007 200 series it will punch well above it’s weight, but even the newer ones sound alive in my experience.

19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Condolences

20. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

That sucks. Keep an eye out for it in the usual places.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.