Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

No '53's for sale…..

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by London John, Mar 5, 2014.

1. kavalero

kavalero Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2013
    near by
    Spectacular tele John.

How's the weight?

2. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    Weight is 7lb 5oz, so not featherweight. PU's are low resistance, both at 5.5ohm...but they're loud. Neck never been off the guitar, but 11/26 is readable, so a late '52. The action is too high for me (perfect for slide) and the PU balance is a little off, so it'll need a bit of TLC from a better set of hands than mine.

It's my first Tele and the fact there's nowhere to hide on these guitars is obvious. Every note needs to be true....so I need to put some time into my sloppy Gibson chops.

Somebody asked for neck dimensions earlier. I'll find some solder and post photos tomorrow.

Cheers,
    John

3. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway
    Wow John, congrats on a perfect telly! It`s really beautiful!

4. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2007
    Switzerland
    This is exactly what I meant earlier... guitar's not up to what you need, and now? Neck has now to go off the guitar, because you have already adjusted the saddles, did you? What if new frets are needed? What if the neck can't be straightened out with a little turning on the truss rod? What if it's twisted?

One more thing: the PU balance can be adjusted by screwing them up or down, i.e. positioning them nearer or farther away from the strings. I'm sure, that you did that. By measuring 5.5kOhm on each a nice PU balance should be obtainable. Otherwise...

Anyway: congrats to those guitars, I really like the blonde '59 (is it a '59?) 335. One of the big five. Great!

regards,

Mike

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

5. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    It's no big deal, the action is a little high for my liking, it'll come good. If it needs new frets, which it doesn't, it'll get a refret. It's a guitar, it needs to be a guitar, not a random assembly of wood and metal.

Yes, the 335 is a late '59. It's been played daily for the last five years or so and survived my stewardship.

Cheers,
    John

6. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Seems a little harsh?

I don't see anything in the new owners "rundown" to suggest that "the guitar is not up to what he needs". Seems like there are those who just can't allow someone to spend what would have been a large amount of money, (because that's what it takes...unfortunately) without trying to make him pay for it in other ways. :rolleyes:
    This is clearly a beautiful, clean 1952 Telecaster, which anybody would be proud to own and I wish London John well with it...
    Great pic of the "Blondes" together as well. Saved it for a screen saver.

7. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    Agreed. Rather harsh and not required assumptions. I'm surprised Rhubarb isn't marching up and down Joe Bonamassa's avenue protesting at him for refretting his blackguards and having pickups rewound...lol. Well done again London John...the cleanest Tele I've seen.

8. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2007
    Switzerland
    Sorry, I didn't mean that harsh or so in any way.

Pls be aware that English is not my native language, so I have to translate on the spot, and maybe something was lost in translation.

All I wanted to say is: spending huge sums of money on vintage gear is not always a good idea. You'll get to the point where you cannot get something adequate back. A mint '52 Tele is something nice, agreed, but IMHO it is still a guitar, and should be played.

Of course: If you hang those instruments on the wall or put them in a show case only (which is, I assume not the case with John), that's still o.k. with me.

But if you intend to play a certain guitar, and if this very guitar needs therefore intensive interventions (straighten out the neck, need of refret, rewinding of PUs) you will face the decision what to do, i.e. make the guitar - unmolested for more than 50 years or so - playable again, or not. Afterwards the guitar's modified, and not mint again, and for certain instruments in a certain price range (and I assume this guitar is in that price range), you derogate the value of a guitar significantly.

I do collect, yes, but after years of doing so, I go more and more in the direction, that I collect playable instruments only, or instruments, that can be made playable without diminishing the value (i.e. instruments that show signs of use).

I'm certainly not envying anything here and I find this Tele a super instrument.

And of course I could keep my mouth shut, but I believe that conversations should not be limited to "what a nice guitar".

I hope I made myself clear.

Sorry again, but I'm sure, I didn't hurt John, if I did, I'm really sorry.

regards,

Mike

9. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    No offense taken, my skin is thicker than that.

It may sound a bit pithy, but the cost is relative. I've had some luck in business, so I indulge my passions. All my guitars and vintage amps are clean, and I play them like I stole them. It is what it is. It doesn't mean I don't treat them well, they're well respected and looked after.

It's a shame that the "cost" issue has raised its head. It's never about money. Rather, it's about a love of old guitars, a quest to find great tone, being inspired musically to stretch further and having a smile that money in the bank can't buy.

Best,
    John

10. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I have no probs with refretting old guitars. My '70 had super low frets, so I had it refretted with 6105s and a Danish Oil finish on the fretboard rather than lacquer. Now it plays And sounds beautiful.

Unless you're going to put it in a case (on the wall, or under the bed), its a no-brainer for a guitar player.

11. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    I've refretted one of my 'bursts too........if I ever sell it I'll knock a dollar off the asking price.

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I recently wrote an online column about this for a magazine. The point being, it isn't an issue with the guitar, as much as with the player. If you can comfortably enjoy an all original vintage guitar--by playing or simply looking at it--then great. If not, a player's-grade guitar or wall hanger is for you.

Some people can deal with all-original, awesome condition, valuable instruments. Some can't. (I'm more in the second category myself.) I think one person on the TDPRI who had a very original old Tele ended up selling because he wasn't using it. On the other hand, there's the funked up vintage guitars and reissues, etc. for folks like me.

I just think it's great that a wonderful Tele like John's ended up with someone who so clearly appreciates it.

13. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    I've been playing it loud for the last three hours, and this is a seriously good guitar. It makes you work like no other guitar I've played, but boy, the rewards. My first Tele, and I finally "get it".

Peace.

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Yes I could hear you. :mad: ;):lol: Lovely guitar you have there John. :cool:

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Spectacular guitar, John. Good on ya'. I tend to think that tele's make you learn to play cleaner and it's so much fun.

16. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains TDPRI Member

May 10, 2014
    Monterrey
    Lovely lovely guitar!! I follow your thought here, money in the bank doesn't put a smile on the face...

The one thing that amaze me is the color... all the teles of that period are blondes? Why the reissue is butterscotch? I'm lost :rolleyes:

17. twang junkie

twang junkie TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    london

That is very well put John. We all have different values, some peoples are governed by their circumstances, others by their approach to life.

Things cost what they cost and that is the way the world is, I have champagne taste and a beer pocket, if you want something badly enough you find a way by sacrificing other things.

Enjoy your first Tele John, I admire your taste in finding such a beauty and committing to it, having the money to buy it is only half the story, you have to have the will to own and play it too.
    congratulations

18. London John

London John Banned

Mar 5, 2014
    London
    Certainly a nice looking guitar, but I'd have struggled with the price.

It would need to have been an incredible player.

19. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

Just discovered this thread. Congrats John, that's a lovely guitar.
    Rock it like you're a teenager with his first Squier! It's a rock 'n roll machine, not the bleedin' Mona Lisa. Fine instruments are for playing, not hiding untouched in a glass case or bank vault.
    You might find the Gibsons gathering dust after a while.......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.