Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NMD: Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Axis29, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yup, broke down and thought I'd give it a shot. I got it from Sweetwater, bundled with everything and it's brother for Pro Tools.

This looks like a big learning curve. Lotsa new stuff to figure out.

Sad part is, I'm down with the Flu and can't even plug it in. I've been sitting around installing Pro Tools... Man, it looks like a powerful tool too.

To say I'm feeling a touch overwhelmed might be a slight understatement.

Anybody else a user of the fancy schmancy 11r?

2. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Yes. Never bothered with ProTools, though.

3. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yup, big learning curve...

I finally felt good enough to mess with it yesterday afternoon for a few minutes. I was a bit disappointed, actually. All of the factory presets I listened to (the first go-zillion) all sounded way over-processed and metallic. I'm not overly surprised by the over-processed. But through my headphones (using the phones jack on the front of the unit) I expected it to at least sound close to what the online samples sounded like... Nothing doing. Could it be my headphones? I dunno.

It wasn't a good test... as I really am quite ill still. But, it definitely shows I have some learning to do to find out the best way to hear my guitar with this thing.

4. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    So, we're a couple of days in and a few days into feeling better.... My investment into a modeler became an investment into headphones too. Good thing I had some GC gift cards from my birthday. I picked up a set of AKG K99 headphones and couldn't be happier.

The factory patches do all suck wind. The noisegate they have set up is very tinny and I swear I think they all have a plate reverb set waaaaay too high. I really will have to start from scratch to find anything worth listening to.

I do find that the reverbs all get too ringy too quickly. This will take some getting used to. I mean they're worse than my blackface amps!

The modulation effects are pretty good... gonna take some tweaking to find ones I will use regularly, but I think they're in there.

I also need to figure out how to record the actual rigs when not using Pro Tools. I tried Reaper for a bit and all I get is the dry guitar signal. I'm sure it's another setting I haven't discovered yet. Big learning curve.

But, I'm feeling better about my purchase now. I really was worried there for a few...

5. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Portland, OR
    This I can help with. There are multiple audio channels going to and from the Eleven Rack over USB. One of them is the dry guitar signal. (ProTools takes advantage of that for reamping.) You need to record the rig output signal.

As far as the reverbs go: I don't particularly care for the ER's spring reverb. I didn't find it to be "tinny"; it's just not what I want to hear from a three-knob reverb. On the other hand, the other reverbs are - IMO - outstanding.

I think a lot of the remaining issues will come down to dialing in the unit. The best advice I can offer is to forget entirely about the presets and build a virtual rig from the ground up. Pick your favorite amp and a couple of pedals and get those dialed in the way you like. When you're done with that, put one of the (non-spring) reverbs at the end of the chain to provide the kind of ambience you want for headphone listening.

6. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks TDD. Now, to figure out how to find the 'Rig Out' signal.... off to the manual.

I am not particularly enamored of the 'Spring Reverb' either. It's too much. I also expect a 3 knob reverb to add a little warmth... not just get surfy. I have been trying the other reverb settings. It seems like there's either none or too much. I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

Interesting thing to me... when I play through most of my 'real' amps, I tend to play pretty clean. Through the 11r, I tend to add gain. Wonder why that is? (Although I still haven't put together a setting where I've added a gain pedal yet! LOL)

Yeah... steep learning curve. But I am beginning to enjoy the sounds I'm getting now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.