Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nitro Lacquered Pickguard on Nitro Lacquer Body--Asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by BorderRadio, Oct 2, 2017.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I made a clear acrylic pickguard that I want to color the back of with metallic paint. It will be in contact with the clear nitrocellulose covered body. I'm thinking I'm going to have a problem either in the short term or long term, with the pickguard paint chipping off or worse, reacting with the body lacquer.

I'm thinking of covering the acrylic metallic paint on the pickguard with clear nitro as a protective measure, but I think they'll still stick. Another method is making a paper or copper foil gasket to fit between the body and pickguard. Never had problems with bakelite, but then again I don't cover the backside of those kinds of pickguards. Dunno if the nitro will be compatible with the metallic paint, but that's why i'm running some tests first.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I have a nitro finished bakelite guard on a nitro finished guitar that sat near a fairly sunny window for several days and got pretty warm a couple of times. The nitro on the guard 'became one with' the finish on the body is a couple of places. Not sure whether or not that would have happened if it hadn't gotten a healthy dose of solar energy. I'm pretty sure it would not have happened if the guard didn't have nitro on it though.

3. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's what I was afraid of. I might look for a poly clear, the silver paint is Tamiya brand, fwiw.

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yep definitely clear coat in poly

BorderRadio likes this.

5. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys looks like I got a plan.

6. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Put waxed paper between them.

BorderRadio and RodeoTex like this.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    What Mike said.
    Either wax paper or aluminum foil divider.

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Won't any thick coating, wax paper or foil make it too thick and leave a visible edge?

10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It might, but I'm keeping the coat thin as possible. It's over a Ocean Turq body though, it might be visible if I don't lay down 2 or 3 coats. I'm used to making these for hollobodies, but those 'float' off the body. The edge will be routed with a 1/8" roundover on 1/8" acrylic, so its gonna look thick on a Tele style body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.