Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nitro Lacquer on the frets? Really Fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by the velvet catfish, Jan 10, 2017.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Haven't read all the posts yet, I'm impatient tonight.

I have the same model, and at least somebody scraped the lacquer off the top on mine. The fretwork is excellent BTW. I can still see it on the ends and along the sides. It's fine with me, but with that Cheeto lacquer it is a bit of an eye-sore. I'd return it pronto--these guitars are awesome, but c'mon FMIC.

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I think the car analogies are lost on me...

As the owner (end user), certain pieces of maintenance are to be expected even with a brand new vehicle. There's breaking in the engine (and the first oil change after an absurdly short amount of miles), there's not waxing the fresh paint for 90 days, there's torquing the lugnuts after a few hundred miles, there's even more basic stuff than that like adjusting the steering wheel, mirrors, and seat.

To draw the same analogy, this is like being upset that the car dealer left the plastic cling-wrap on the chrome trim pieces...or, possibly, that you sat in the driver's seat of your brand new Mustang and couldn't see out of the rearview mirror (the nerve! They didn't adjust it for me!)

bender66 likes this.
  3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I'm not going to bag on the OP, but I'm not going to make excuses for Fender either.

I've noticed this on several of my maple neck Fenders, specifically my 2003 Lone Star Strat, my 2005 American Standard Strat, and my 2008 American Standard Strat.

I also have a 2005 50's Classic MIM Strat that has nice polished frets with no poly on them, and my recent Triple Teles have maple boards and nicely polished frets with no poly on them either.

I'm not sure why Fender does this on some guitars but not on others. I really don't like it either as it causes intonation problems as the poly/lacquer wears.

If you don't like this feature, I think it makes sense to let Fender know. Judging by some of the replies in this thread, they probably think that we don't care.

I care. I do own a few, but going forward, I won't buy new guitars that have goop on top of the frets.

I actually passed on a dream Rickenbacker for this exact same reason. My wife was standing right there saying, "Go ahead, you deserve it!", and I decided against it because I didn't want to spend $2400 on a guitar that would need a level-crown-and-polish.

If enough of us stop buying the ones with gunk on top of the frets, eventually Fender (and hopefully other manufacturers too) will get the message.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    After seeing the photos, I'd tend to agree with the OP on this one. A guitar ready to play doesn't typically have thick yellow lacquer on the the playing surface of the fret does it? In the end you don't want that crap there right? I think I'd have raised an eyebrow if I'd noticed it in a store. If it was just very thin and clear, then well ... Maybe not so much? Just seems like a job not quite done to me. The mcdonaldization (George Ritzer, sociologist) of guitars ... You stand, order, and clean up (frets) in this restaurant. haha!

Iago and JayFreddy like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    And I'm dreaming of the day when new house cost $30k again and not $300k and a new car $3k not $30k. But we can dream and be unhappy or accept reality and deal with that. I don't know of any other choices.

BorderRadio and Hexabuzz like this.
  7. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    This. It doesn't matter what you're buying, you shouldn't have to take something brand new out of the box and immediately need to fix something on it

Iago and JayFreddy like this.
  8. J-dp

J-dp TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2016
    The netherlands
    I'd go classic Vibe....

peterleroux likes this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Play the guitar for 10 minutes. No more lacquer. Shrit (or panties) unbumched.

bender66 likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Holic

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    If that's the worst defect that ever happened to a guitar I bought, I'd be ecstatically happy.

Get over it, or sell it

11. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    You didn't read all of it and that's ok.. that photo I posted is 120 + hours of playing and still looks like this..[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    just remember, the cost of labor is the most costly factor in manufacturing a guitar, the more "detail" work you demand the more the guitar HAS to cost.

Note though, detail work is a part of aesthetics, it's "fashion" it's all about "looks".. none of that has anything to do with what a guitar is supposed to do and is not actually a prerequisite to manufacturing a guitar that functions correctly.

While not an excuse, it does clarify the reason... if you want detail perfection, you gotta move up the product line...that, of course, costs more $$$.

rk

bender66 likes this.
  13. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Ron,

I did the same thing with a 52 AVRI while it wasn't as bad, the price of that was double the $900 entry fee for this.i get aesthetic comment as well. However a $600 G&L Bluesboy from Indonesia with a maple neck had none of these issues. This is a Mexico model, and in fact the most expensive in the MIM series.

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    simple fact is, people are lured in by the name Fender... there are hugely superior guitars available, if you're considering attention to detail, but they don't say Fender on the headstock...

Guitar players as a whole are traditionalists that want traditionally made guitars, they just want 'em made with the latest technology, as long as it looks 60 years old... :p and, of course, the "right" name on the headstock.

rk

the velvet catfish likes this.
  15. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Please list the Fenders you are selling.

StrangerNY, vid1900 and Fiesta Red like this.
  16. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    It's not like that at all. It's more like you moved in and found some paint overspray on your window glass. Big deal.

17. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Nibs!

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    no lacquer on my FSR CP50's frets.

Attached Files:

19. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Did the guitar come with that sharpie scribling on it, or did you have it done after receiving the instrument. If the latter, then I suspect you have no ground on which to stand with any complaints about getting any corrective action out of Fender.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  20. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

And you knowingly accepted it, played it and "defaced" the finish , and kept it for 100 days. You've made your point...it is a poor manufacturing process and now we all know it. I don't know why Fender would fret a neck before spraying the finish on it, but that appears to be the process they used in this case. And many more people will be on the lookout now for this problem, so you have done a great service to us all by bringing it to our attention. Thank you.

the velvet catfish likes this.
  21. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    That's nothing new. I've scraped lacquer off the frets of several US and Japanese Fenders. I first noticed this on a US Standard Strat I bought in the late 80s. Never noticed it on MIM guitars though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.