Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nitro Lacquer on the frets? Really Fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by the velvet catfish, Jan 10, 2017.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I went back and read your initial post and am just as confused as ever. What are you looking for Fender to fix? I suspect their reply will be along the lines you could have returned the guitar and been out only the $15 AMS shipping fee (or nothing if you convinced them it was a defect, which probably wouldn't have been that hard to be honest). If you've just been looking and looking at it and finally needed a good rant, well, I guess that happens too.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    That's childish. Painting my car and scraping it off is criminal damage to property. Buying a guitar then complaining that it's not up to your lofty standards is just an uninformed purchase.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    What you should have gathered from my initial post is I saw it when received it.. I did nothing about it because I knew how to fix it.. I guess I'm dreaming of a day where someone opens their case to find bright shiny frets on a maple fingerboard instead of frets smothered and marinated in tinted Lacquer

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2011
    The Netherlands
    My (ex)vintage 50's hot rod had the same issue/flaw. Well, not really an issue but I did find it slightly annoying at that time; not something you'd expect quality wise after spending about 2 grands.

Took me about 1,5 hour to get it all of though so don't sweat it too much.

the velvet catfish likes this.
  6. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It's an example? Finishing a product is not a lofty standard rofl

7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Did a screenshot closeup of a 50's MIM Lacquer Tele on Sweetwater and it looks to me like there's tinted lacquer on the ends and sides of the frets. Just the tops are cleaned off.

TeleFrets.jpg

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    All I'm saying is wouldn't it have been nice not to have to do? Did the same non sense on my 52 AVRI.. so this ain't new to me. If all the rosewood guys had to do it as well maybe I'd feel a little better about it.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I won't belabor. The disconnect for me is why you kept it, if it bugged you. And what prompted this thread 2 or 3 months later. But that's my issue, not yours.

I'm guessing part of the issue is that if folks want to ensure no nitro on the frets, they may have to pony up for Custom Shop or a custom builder?

Cheers!

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Yeah ONLY 900 bucks. I know that's still kinda cheap in the guitar world but come on. $900 bucks is $900 bucks and you deserve a proper fret job included in that price!

the velvet catfish likes this.
  11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Wait, didn't you get the tele-memo? You gotta build your own teles now in order to get high quality if you only wanna spend 900 bucks.

12. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It's a mirage... look at my pics it's the entire fret and thickens on both sides

13. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Naw, clearly tint over the fret ends and on the sides. Also look at the 21st fret between the b/e strings. Looks like some lacquer on top. Just how they are.

TeleFrets.jpg

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I had some on the upper frets of my 2000 AmStd. Doesn't hurt anything I was kinda unhappy but it took a few months before I even noticed so I just rolled with it. Here it is,17 years later and still hasn't bothered me

15. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Thanks! I kept it because I liked it.. a fret dressing is peanuts compared to the price. Having had to do the same on my 52AVRI it's nothing new, just disappointed that Fender feels a fret job on a new guitar is not feasible. Which then makes it my responsibility to clean up after them.

16. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    I hear ya.. we are all a little different and neither side is wrong. I guess my brain associates when buying something new, it shouldn't need anything but an action set, and played

17. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    You DO realize that in the time we've spent on this thread you could have made a cardboard fret mask and cleaned those frets up all nice and purdy with scotchbrite, then played Freebird ten times in a row, right? :D

18. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Lol yes I do! But I know somebody out there feels like I do

19. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I haven't read to page 3 yet but to answer the answer to this question in my opinion is this.

Every player is different so they make every guitar at a base level that be worked down to each players standards. Yes that means we have to have these things done.

For example, higher end Martin guitars usually have really high action, thick saddles, etc from the floor. Why?most do not want a really high action but its better to take action down. It's would be a lot harder/impossible if they set them up to the lowest point from the floor. Now it's harder to get a high action.

This is the way I've always thought about it. At least it makes sense to me. So you need to dress the frets for you, but as far as laquer over frets. I don't really know or have guesses.

My dream guitar is an AVRI 58 or I'd take a 50's laquer because 8-9 hundred isn't cheap to me. So I probably wouldn't complain about laquer. I'd just be happy to own it. But I understand your point of wanting it right, for you.:)

Steve Holt likes this.
  20. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Of course that would have been nice, hence the reason I bought an AV52; flawless guitar ;)

21. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Wish I had this problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.