Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nitro Lacquer on the frets? Really Fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by the velvet catfish, Jan 10, 2017.

1. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Because of this... [​IMG]

And I'll ***** all I want... FENDER Is the one passing the labor to me.. I'm not blinded by ball hugging Fender like some.

TMMC likes this.

2. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    The wear is there... I play it every other day and I've had it for over a 100 days, my whole point is not to get a refund.. it's to highlight poor manufacturing processes passed on to the consumer.

5ofeight likes this.

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Willie signed my J-45 there, and it's all but worn off now. Merles signed below the bridge so that one is OK

Gibson and the velvet catfish like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I have no idea whose signature that is. But this got even more intriguing and confusing to me. You noticed what you view as a defect right away? But then kept the guitar AND had it signed? Is there a big market for used guitars with a big signature on the body? Must be something I'm missing here. Unfortunately I bet the cost of a fret dressing (if you don't want to do it) is less than the amount you'd lose trying to sell a guitar that you had signed. Good luck and if you just needed to vent, well, that happens too.

6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Now that's just rediculous.

At one time fender just initialed and dated the neck and pocket. Now you get a whole bodys worth of graffiti ....

7. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    I knew what they had done when I opened the case.. I'm just saying it shouldn't be that way is all. I'd be willing to bet every one of these is the same way. [​IMG]

JayFreddy likes this.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Now THAT would piss me off! Someone wrote all over it!

9. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It's not an item I intend to sell ever... it's just what you mentioned.. a new guitar shouldn't require a fret dressing. I played a local Blues Jam at Knuckleheads in KC with that guitar, afterwards was the Tab Benoit show and Randy McAllister opened for him. A great night that I'll remember forever.

10. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Look guys.. all I'm saying is why should we the consumers get swindled into thinking that dressing the frets of a brand new instrument is now our problem and burden? It's not about the cost of a fret dressing.. it's the fact that Fender knowingly sent this out for us to finish.. it's not a d.i.y kit lol

Iago and JayFreddy like this.

11. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Some of the comments here kill me lol! It's like here's the keys to your new car but you're gonna need to finish torquing all the bolts and put the wheels on... that's not ok lol

Iago and Allthesound like this.

12. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I don't know, if you look at the Sweetwater page (my understand is they photograph the actual guitar you pull up, but maybe I'm mistaken) it doesn't look like that one has the overspray (is that what you call it?).

I can't get my blamed phone to work to go back in the thread. Did you notice right away, or is this driven by that Randy fella asking why they frets were so gunked up after he signed the guitar, making it unreturnable?

Either way, sorry to see someone so frustrated. Different things matter to all of us. Most responding said they wouldn't notice or would just let it wear off. Others said a few minutes with an appropriate abrasive would take care of it, and that it's exceedingly common. So maybe most don't think of it as a defect.

Me, I'd never want a big signature on my guitar. But I have a bandmate who loves to get a big signature and plays them all the time, and it looks fine to me when he does so. We're all different I guess.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Gotcha, but it is what it is. I agree it would be more logical to spray the neck before installing the frets but that may also crack or chip the lacquer when the fret saw cuts the fret slots so I don't know what's most efficient.

We see that kind of stuff everyday in many things. The day of the craftsman in production lines is long gone. For that we rely on the Ron Kirn's of the world.

14. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    All the signature means to me is a good memory.. nothing more than that. Neither Randy nor Tab mentioned the frets.. we talked about Things other than music. I already said I noticed it when I opened the case, but once again I'm questioning why is the mind set for "it's common" ok for Fender not to finish what they started?

15. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    I have had a few Fender guitars with that 'issue'.It personally didn't bother me at all because after a few days of playing the guitar the lacquer came off and it did not affect the playability at all.I say if you like the guitar and it plays and sounds great then just keep and play it...the lacquer will come off fast enough.

16. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That's great (re the memories). I guess my point is, many (most?) commenting seem to think Fender finished the job just fine. I have no comment. Have never bought a new Fender and don't buy new generally, so hard for me to say what I'd expect. Though I'm pretty picky so if I noticed something right away that bugged me, I'd probably have sent it back (not criticizing you, just thinking "out loud").

soulman969 and songtalk like this.

17. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    I hear ya and I'm not bagging on anyone here, I just don't understand why they didn't finish it is all.. I've played it 60 days at least.. look what's still on there! To me it's like selecting a contractor to Build your home, you pay him, he hands you the keys and you find the front isn't installed lol.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    It always amazes me when people discover something that has been going on for 60+ years and decide that it's some kind of personal affront.

19. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It amazes me that people accept it that long. Here lemme paint your car and you scrape off the overspray... no different. But in the 60's when Rosewood entered the scene, we didn't have to deal with it.

20. urbandefault

urbandefault TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Yukon OK
    I was under the impression that they did it that way in the 50s. So, wouldn't lacquer on the frets make it more authentic? :)

21. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Maybe they were just as thrilled as I am today lol

5ofeight likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.