Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nitro Lacquer on the frets? Really Fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by the velvet catfish, Jan 10, 2017.

1. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Howdy!

I recently bought a 50's Lacquer with tweed case new from AMS. When I got it I realized that Fender sprayed the tinted Lacquer over the entire fret board including the frets?!?! I sent Fender an email and have yet to receive a reply asking if this is standard practice? Either way I'm not happy about it... yes it's only a $900 Mexican model but really Fender?

It's not my responsibility to get a fret dressing on a new guitar! If they don't make this right I'll fix it and sell every Fender I own. Their quality had been on a steady decline anyway.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
  3. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It's sad when an Indonesian G&L has better setup and attention to detail than this guitar costing twice as much. I take it this is a known thing and since I hadn't been on here in a while I probably missed complaints of this happening?

Kitcool and TMMC like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It's evidently common lol.. still doesn't make it acceptable in my book!

billiemorini, JayFreddy and TMMC like this.
  6. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Every now and then, one of the big players (Gibson, Fender, Martin, PRS) will surprise me with a batch or line of subpar stuff. Always disappointing.

the velvet catfish likes this.
  7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Any pics? Curious how much is on them. Usually it just come off with playing.

irie and 8barlouie like this.
  8. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    It's the principle that it's not their problem to be bothered to do the right thing by their customers. This is a new Fender guitar, not a project and certainly not my responsibility to finish their job

9. BSBTELE

BSBTELE TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2014
    NH
    Just scrape it off with your fingernail (it's kinda fun) or you know, actually play the guitar. Nitro doesn't bond with metal so it should come off easily. Apologies if this is a joke post.

10. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Sure I'll get some tonight when I get home.. it's on there thick! My fingernail won't budge it.

11. the velvet catfish

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    I've played it a lot! Also, these are vintage size frets on a 7.25 radius neck not the usual jumbos so marring up the fretboard is a given unless I use the steel wool technique. Imagine buying a rosewood fingerboard and having nitro covering the entire fretboard, or poly. It doesn't happen.. shouldn't be this way on a maple neck either.

12. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    It's a solid suggestion in my book. Play like hell, and see the benefits.

InkStained likes this.
  13. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    When I got my FSR Deluxe Ash Tele I started to get little cuts on my fretting hand and realized it was the poly over the fret ends flaking off and giving me the cuts. I cleaned the fret end and dressed the ends with a small file but the poly was not on the tops of the frets. I would definitely not like that.
    Thanks John

14. BSBTELE

BSBTELE TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2014
    NH
    Rosewood is a dense, oily wood that does not absorb or lose moisture easily and thus doesn't need to be sealed from the elements. Not so for maple.

Bill Hubbard likes this.
  15. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Why haven't you returned it ? You realized it when you got it, and you still have it . Quit bitching and get a refund. It's not like you got a good discount on it, or did you ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I've never noticed one way or the other.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I frankly never noticed if lacquer has been on any of mine, suspect my AVRI had it but it wore off, but if I were you, and it is as thick as you say, just send it back or call AMS and/or Fender and have them pay for a level/crown. Even if they split the cost, I'd go for that. Most new guitars benefit from a good leveling.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Irate customer single handedly takes down FMIC. Chapter 7 filing expected soon. ;)

And that last sentence is a "sour grapes" if ever I heard one. I might agree that the lacquer is overdone but that's a manufacturing procedure they should possibly alter and as nothing to do with the overall quality of the product.

It's more of an annoyance like a package of cold cuts or bacon that's tough to open. Curse the packaging but maybe not so much the product unless it deserves it too. The other solution is to buy used. Then someone else will have worn off that lacquer. :p

19. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    It's all about labor. Fender can't afford to have someone dress the frets when they could be making more guitars. I have a MIA Clapton strat with some crap flaking on the frets. That's a $1500 guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.