Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nighthawk Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by nvilletele, Sep 9, 2009.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Louisville, KY USA
    Here's our 2014 Gibson Nighthawk Standard Nancy Wilson "Fanatic" & 2006 Gibson Blueshawk

2014 Gibson Nighthawk Standard "Fanatic"
    [​IMG]
    2006 Gibson Blueshawk
    [​IMG]
    Nighthawk & Blueshawk
    [​IMG]

3. Joshua Iemma

Joshua Iemma NEW MEMBER!

Jul 31, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Hi Everyone, Just wondering if anyone knows of any trem systems that will fit the nighthawkes bridge?
    and also if anyone knows any good replacements for the middle pickup.
    Thanks Josh

4. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2006
    I really wish they had made one of these with a fat neck. I remember when they first came out in the late 80s / early 90s (my memory sucks haha). They were selling them discounted and I foolishly didn't get one. I need a fat neck these days so it wouldn't work. But it is next to impossible to find a sub 8lb LP.

5. horrible

horrible TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Any advice re which Seymour Duncan slant humbucker to replace the bridge with: the 59 or the JB. The JB is a lot hotter and would probably do better split that the considerably lower output 59. Thanks in advance.

6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    The stock pickup on my Nighthawk (see page 5) seems to be quite hot, but still on the vintage side. My vote goes to the JB.

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Today, I managed to put a new battery in my multimeter and to check the nighthawk. For what it's worth, the DC resistance readings (out of the jack) are:

bridge slanted HB 14.5kΩ
    Bridge split 7.5kΩ
    neck mini-HB 14.7kΩ

So it's still the JB. But the neck is a surprise to me. So, you should check what you have in the neck and go from there.

8. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    Count me in the club.

Here is my Gibson Nighthawk special 3 pick-ups in 2 tone sunburst :

NIGHTHAWK.jpg

I really like its shape and light weight. I love the neck profile sort of half round with narrow nut width. I dig the sweetness of the neck pick-up, the bridge pick-up sounds like a SG to me. Playing with the push-pull and selector, you can mimick pretty decently strat or tele sounds.
    With it, your strap should not be slippy because the balance is towards the neck.

This photo doesn't show it but, as it's been played a lot, most of the gold plating is gone. The forearm zone is dull and the laquer starts crackling and it will soon need a fret job. :(

After more than 20 years, it's not played very much these days but I still love it and can't sell it.:cool:

Zepfan and Ash Telecaster like this.

9. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    You can hear my Nighthawk on this week Twanger Central (#107). Straight into The OD2 channel of a Marshall JCM2000 TSL 601. Just the Humbucker neck (beginning) and Humbucker Bridge positions.

Trying to play in the style of Carlos Santana

LowCaster and Zepfan like this.

10. Smoorej

Smoorej NEW MEMBER!

Jan 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have a Gibson epiphone nighthawk that was inherited. Could anyone tell me the actual name.

Attached Files:

11. jdylon

jdylon TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Arkansas
    The truss rod cover on mine reads "Nighthawk Custom Reissue", which is the name of this model. Could see that there was writing on yours in the picture but could not read what it said. Hope this helps.

12. jdylon

jdylon TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Arkansas
    I have recently begun work on a project to "rebuild" an Epiphone Nighthawk body I purchased, minus hardware or electronics, a few years ago. I recently purchased the last of the parts needed and have begun mockup to see how everything will fit. For the middle pickup I had purchased a replacement single coil from Sentell Pickups in California (their Dayhawk S35 with alnico V slug magnets). With the pickup laying flush in the bottom of the pickup rout it appears that the top of the pickup sets too high and may be too close to the strings. I have not installed the bridge or tuners at this point and am comparing the top of the pickup to a line flush with the frets. First, can anyone tell me if the middle pickup on a stock Nighthawk is adjustable for height? Mine has metal inserts embedded in the bottom of the pickup route threaded for a 3mm x 0.50 metric machine screws. Are there springs in the stock Nighthawk for pickup adjustment? The total thickness of the Sentell pickup is 0.65" (approximately 5/8"). I have sent a message to Sentell asking if their pickup is the same height as the stock Epi pickup but if any of you have ever measured one please let me know. If it turns out that the pickup sets too high I will deepen the pickup cavity rout and continue with my project.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.