Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nighthawk Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by nvilletele, Sep 9, 2009.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    Used to own a black SP3 ...

... and foolishly sold it; JUST pulled the trigger on a flame red ST3, and will post pics when it arrives nest week!

2. bcy123

bcy123 NEW MEMBER!

Nov 17, 2011
    NYC
    HI...have had a nice Gibson nighthawk 20th anniversary for over a year...its my main ax these days....one thing though: the single coil can get pretty noisy. At a gig last friday...it was unusable due to all the lights and TVs in the venue. I was thinking of replacing it or shielding the cavity. My question is: are there springs behind the PUP? or foam? If its springs, then this could be a bit of trick getting it back together...any help...most appreciated

Byron

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Just wanted to wish y'all a Merry Christmas.

[​IMG]

4. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Just wanted to wish everyone...
    [​IMG]

5. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I have one now.... And I like it, a 1993 Gibson Nighthawk ST3 in Cherry Red.

Count me in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Nice! :D I've typically been GASing for an Epi reissue in either the Fireburst, Honey Burst or Amber finishes, but I gotta admit that Gibby cherry looks sweet! :D

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Hello,
    I'm new to the club. I found this 1993 black Gibson Nighthawk Special in a pawnshop. The vintage but (not original) "chainsaw" hardcase fits quite well.

The Nighthawk was on my shortlist of guitars to be looked for, with its hardtail bridge and an interesting combination of pickups. But I must say it was at the end of the list, because of the "not really Les Paul" shape, which I didn't care.

Played it in the store and jumped in. The neck is super good, round, not too fat, and easy to play. The combination of pickups is amazing, powerfull humbucker and nice mini humbucker with a softer tone, and single coil tones in between. And its so light, almost like my Melody Maker.

This guitar has seen a lot of use and some abuse in 20 years: gold faded, top sprayed with beer (I hope...) and more. After cleaning I am refinishing the top to my taste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Yes it is!

I have Been able to test it loud in stage with different amps an is a really good guitar.

I like much more the double side than the single... Is a Gibson at least

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I managed to refinish the top. Stripes are made with real gold leaf (nicer in real life than in picture), and aged to match the hardware.

The guitar is still a great player.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

papaschtroumpf likes this.

10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Well... Is strange... But I like it

11. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Thank you. For me the most strange are the gold knobs, because they don't match the gold hardware, but I'll keep them anyway.

12. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    I missed getting in this owner's club..... mine is the Gibson 20th Anniversary Nighthawk Standard. It's a 2013 model. Will get a pic on here soon.

13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France

14. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA

15. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France

16. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Anybody know what - if any - difference there is between the current pickups on the Indonesian-made Epiphone Nighthawk re-issue, and the "OBL" pickups on the older Korean-made Nighthawks from the 90s?

I actually like the simpler headstock (no binding) on the older Nighthawks, but I want pups with the mellow spongey attack that the current pickups have. I have played Gibson versions and the pickups have a real bloom to the attack (especially the mini-HB), but if I buy one it will probably be an Epiphone version.

17. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Pulled the trigger on a '90s Korean Epiphone Nighthawk and am regretting it. First of all, it arrived with the neck pup not working in full HB mode (it does work in coil split). The middle/neck position is pure mud and the middle/bridge position is not much better. The three pickups by themselves sound fine in coil split mode and the bridge pup has a lot of raunch in HB mode. But I bought it for all the tones.

I am in contact with the seller and we'll see what's what. I wish I could find a wiring diagram that shows the toggle switch layout. There is one lug empty and I'm not sure if there is supposed to be something there.

18. PumpJockey

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Finally arrived at some hard to come by info on the Korean Epiphone Nighthawk. Turns out the wiring was fine. “Coil split” seems to be a misnomer. The tone pot has an extra gizmo on it with two different capacitors. In addition, the middle single “coil” and slanted bridge are blade pickups in the Bill Lawrence design, with high output.

The toggle and blade switches do the following:

With toggle down the blade switch does:

bridge humbucker
    bridge and middle
    middle
    middle and neck
    neck humbucker

With toggle up the blade switch does:
    bridge humbucker with fatter sound (i.e. the alternate capacitor)
    bridge and middle fat
    middle fat
    middle and neck fat
    kill (no sound)

In other words, a loud ‘90s type rock and roll guitar and very different from the re-issue Epiphone, which is a less expensive duplicate of the Gibson version.

19. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2003
    Spartanburg
    Currently only one Hawk in my possession, but it's the 5th I've owned. A 2011 Studio I picked up last month. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455979630.331664.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455979639.084460.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455979648.439107.jpg

20. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    The Nighthawk studio is cool in gold... There was a pelham blue studio.

@Pumpjockey: For me too it was difficult to figure out the switching layout, even with only two Pickups. split/single/parallel positions can be hard to recognize at first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.