Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nighthawk Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by nvilletele, Sep 9, 2009.

1. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    I just posted a pic of 5 acoustics, including the larrivee in the acoustic forum....no close up of the larrivee yet, but later when i have time....

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I just checked out your pics in the Acoustic Heaven section. Larrivee's always seem to be beautiful guitars, yours is no exception. Congrats. I look forward to a close up, though.

3. Brammer

Brammer NEW MEMBER!

Nov 9, 2013
    UK
    Here's my customised Epiphone Nighthawk, I adore her!

[​IMG]

4. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm just posting now to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! :D

5. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2013
    Nashville
    Anyone making slant buckers besides Duncan? I've never been able to bond with anything SD.

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was just thinking about the Nighthawk the other day, and lo and behold, the thread is bumped up. :D

About the slanted bucker, have you already tried the stock Gibson NHT slanted humbucker? And the SD replacement? If so, the 59 or the JB? If these don't give you the tone you're after, then what are you after?

Not trying to be contrary, just curious about what you're seeking that isn't provided by the stock pickups or SD aftermarket replacements.

7. Brammer

Brammer NEW MEMBER!

Nov 9, 2013
    UK
    I swapped out the alnico 2 in the stock slantbucker for an alnico 5, and I'm super chuffed with the result.

Less muddy, more defined, it's just alive now :D

8. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    Huh, somehow I missed this

Its almost 2 years since I picked up my Nighthawk Custom RI. This is the most current shot I have of it:

[​IMG]

When I first got it I thought that I'd never have to do anything to it but that didn't last long. Within a month the push/pull pot failed and then the selector switch went bad. After that it became open season on what to "fix" next.

IMHO the pickups are a mismatched mess. Jerry Sentell wound me a single coil replacement for the mini-him and Ken @ Rose Pickups made me a Buff Beauty for the bridge after I had discovered that a Strat pickup would fit. The middle pickup was always my favorite but it just over-powered the other two so I had John @ Benson Customs make me a replacement in an A5/A2 configuration with the output at round 6.7K. So far, go good.

As you can see in the photo I rearranged the volume & tone controls. It works so much better with the volume knob out of the way of my strumming hand. The carriage bolt was in it's place but it had to go away as it was almost as bad as the volume knob at times. Changed out the bridge saddles with Graph Tech saddles that I got a good deal on from Stew Mac [they're the PRS replacement saddles in case you're interested].

[​IMG]

The license plate covers up the area where I milled out some wood and added about 300 grams of weight to try and compensate for the severe neck dive. I'd probably go for 500 grams if I had it to do over. Added a third strap button and use an Air Cell strap that helps keep it in place. The only other thing that I can think of is knocking some of the very thick poly finish off the back if the neck. Not only does it play more smoothly but it has an almost ebony look to it now.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Brammer, howlin, it's interesting to me that you both have changed out the stock bridge slantbucker. Would either of you happen to have demos/clips of the sound change?

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    No reply after a couple of months. Oh well, busy with other things, I guess.

The reason I'm posting today is because of the Epi Nighthawk's status. My Sweetwater catalog arrived not that long ago, and I've been leafing through it. Today it occurred to me to look for the Nighthawk, but it's not in the catalog. It's still listed on Epiphone's website, but how available is it really?

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was just looking on Epiphone's "Out of Production" page for something else, and saw that the Nighthawk Custom Reissue is listed as OoP! :eek: :(

Why am I always a day late and dollar short?!? :mad: :cry:

12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    As I said before, the Nighthawk Custom Reissue is listed on Epiphone's "Out of Production" page (just checked it again to be sure, http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Out-of-Production.aspx), but some online retailers still have them in stock.

Sweetwater says they have them on order (Fireburst, Honey Burst and Trans Amber), for $329.

zzounds has both the Fireburst and the Trans Amber in stock for $349.

MF & GC both have the Fireburst and Trans Amber models in stock, for $399.

Amazon has 1 Fireburst left in stock, $399.

13. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'm seriously bummed. It looks like Nighthawk's won't be available that much longer, and yet I'm not in a position right now to buy one. It's certainly an affordable guitar, but it's not in the budget right now, and I have had another guitar in mind higher on the priority list. So I'd have to change my priorities and sell something to pick one up right now.

In my head I tell myself "Larry, less is more. Two pickups and a simple 3-way switch is all you need." Sometimes that almost sounds right to me, and then I look at a pic of a Nighthawk or watch a YouTube video and GAS attacks.

I haven't actually had my hands on one. Does all that versatility really make a difference live? Or in the studio? Does this guitar really deserve to be at the top of my priority list?

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Over here some shops are selling quilted maple veneer top , red,blue ,purple version .They look great and same price .Very tempted

15. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Texas
    Larry, can't speak for the Epi versions, but the original Landmark Nighthawk has more going for it than the pickups. The Landmark has two mini humbuckers, with coil tapping that gets the single coil sound. The scale length (25.5) and the string-through body, plus the coil tap, puts the Nighthawk somewhere between Gibsonville and Fenderland.
    Going humbucker, especially through a Marshall-style amp, let's me feel I don't need an LP (doesn't mean I don't want one...:). And it kept me from springing for a nice Santana SE. With coil tap, you can get close to a Tele sound; but when I got a real Tele, I realized it's only close. . .
    Three pickups give you some tonal variations that simply aren't available any other way. My blackout Tele does that with bite, while my MIM Strat has a beautiful smoothness (until I add the RAT or the Polysaturator).
    Still, I won't be giving up the Nighthawk any time soon, so I understand the GAS it stirs up in you. Good luck!

16. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Texas
    Just spent about an hour with the Nighthawk and realized another reason why it would be useful on stage: it's small and light, so won't wear you out over a long gig. I remember Freddie Fender used a Nighthawk when he opened the Performing Arts Center at TAMU-CC, probably for that reason.
    It does have Gibson's 60s neck, which I loved when I first got it, but now I've been playing acoustics (Martin and Gibson) with big necks, so it takes some getting used to, especially at the nut. Still, it gets that sweet humbucker tone that I love, so I'll just play further up the neck.
    In my estimation, the reissues are good, but the Gibson versions from the 90s are worth looking for, if you can find one in your price range.

17. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    And speaking of the Gibson originals, I used to own this one...

Attached Files:

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks for your input, John. And that "Gibsonville and Fenderland" reference, I like that. Makes me wonder if it should be called a Fibson or a Gender. :rolleyes:

19. wrigman

wrigman TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Corona, Ca.
    My new hawk......

Got this one last week. Could not have found a more perfect Gibson for me! Have had a couple of Heritage 150's and a Gibson LP/JR. Notice I said USED to have these. I could never bond with the 24.75 scale, so a Gibson with the 25.5 scale was just what a G&L guy needs! Love the various tones this guitar gets, so much so that I traded a G&L for it! Love this thing!!!!!
    URL=http://s101.photobucket.com/user/sandabbe/media/imagejpg1_zps9269f879.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

20. EduPad

EduPad NEW MEMBER!

Sep 27, 2014
    Santiago-Chile
    My Epiphone Nighthawk

Hi guys,
    I am happy that more people enjoying Epi nighthawk. My NH had been my partner for long 14 years!. I'm not a professional guitar player, but with my rock cover's band, she continue doing my best partner. Long life to the rock!, to my band and my "Lucille". Here some pics ;)

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.