Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nighthawk Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by nvilletele, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Epiphan

Epiphan TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2012
    New Zealand
    Upgrade Tone cap to .05uF improves sound of Epi Nighthawk

Hi,
    Regarding previous post. I upgraded the tone cap to .05uf and adjusted the neck this improved the harmonics.
    cheers

2. Twanged

Twanged TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Here's my epiphone nighthawk with SD pups in the neck and the bridge with US pots and switchcraft 5way switch and jack. The pots are both push and pull so I can get several more tones.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. Epiphan

Epiphan TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nice, What improvement do you notice sound wise and what options have you got on the push pulls 5 way
    cheers

4. Twanged

Twanged TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I get around 13 different tones by switching the pots out with 500k push/pull Bourns and going thru the 5way switch. It made it a lot more cleaner with several fat Les Paul tones and several twangy Strat tones. I need to change out my middle pickup to get a more rounded out sound. I have got in touch with Seymour Duncan and they told me that the Custom Shop would make me a middle pickup for $160.00, that's almost what I paid for both of the Seymour Duncan's that I have installed on the neck and bridge? Wow!!! I got rid of those cheap Chinese electronic components and install all American made parts which made a lot of difference in the sound, believe me.

5. Epiphan

Epiphan TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2012
    New Zealand
    What SD options did you go for?
    I believe that the middle PU is one half of a Humbucker, it may be possible to use one half of your bridge pup as a middle PU.

6. Epiphan

Epiphan TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2012
    New Zealand
    I am trying to get a Telecaster tone form the rear Pu split. How does the SD sound for that?

7. Twanged

Twanged TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Epiphan
    I changed out the OEM pickups that were yeaaaa not to bad with Seymourized mini in the neck and the slanted 59 in the bridge. It made a difference but try not to just change out the pickup's, you need to change out the controls to get a better effect of the pickup's.

8. Twanged

Twanged TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Has any one changed out the middle pup?

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Hey twanged, you are just the person i have been trying to find at the epi forum with zero luck ! I have the same epi custom RI and i love it like no other guitar i've owned in my 40 years of pickin. However, i do feel the guitar is capable of even better tone and have been contemplating seymours too, but you are the 1st i have seen who's tried them. Being desperate for some insight, could you tell me how they are in more detail please?

What i really want to know is which did you get for the bridge, the JB or the 59? And how does it compare to the stocker in as much detail as you can give me. And i love the stock neck, but it's too hot. I take it that seymour mini is about 1/2 as hot, no? If i'm right about that, how does it do that round thick sweet hollow tone for single notes with gain up around the 10-12th frets? Does it still get that as good? I suppose you could say that santana sorta tone.

As to the middle, i'm pretty happy with that but there IS a guy selling a replacement for $36. bottom of this page... http://www.bensoncustom.com/services.html
    Not sure what it is. I was wondering if he just sourced the stock epi pickup and is selling it as a replacement because i think the 7.3k he states is what ours are.

Anyways, please.....any input about the duncans will be greatly appriciated because if i buy the bridge and don't it, no chance of ever selling it and recouping any of the money. So any info you can give including which one you got, the JB or 59. Oh, and ever think of replacing the saddles with vintage fender strat ones? Every time i've replaced those solid block saddles on a fender with the vintage bent steel the tone improvement was always considerable.

Edit: I see now it's the '59 you put in the bridge.

10. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2003
    Spartanburg
    I had the first year Gibson run and foolishly sold it in college. Recently got the new Epiphone run and love it
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    slap a set of vintage fender style saddles on there and prepare to be happy. Those saddles are pot medal and kill the tone. I put a set of import fenders on mine, tho they were too wide so i had to dremel them to make them fit. Did it just to see if the stock ones were as bad as i figured and if so would get a set of callahams. The callahams are in the mail as we speak ! The difference is considerable, and i know the callahams sound better than the ones i used because i have several fenders with them. So i expect even BETTER tone. Another guy bought the block saddles GFS sells for $12 and said the same thing as I did....big improvement. It's a no brainer.

I also ordered the duncan slant '59 they make especially for the epi hawk. Another guy already got his and said it too is a huge improvement. I'm also coing to change out the neck one because like the bridge it's much too hot and doesn't clean up at all into a dirty amp, even when split. The guitar is on it's way to being what i think will be one of the absolute best electrics of any kind i've ever owned. The design and woods together make a great tone, but it's tone is hindered worse than most inexpensive guitars by bad saddles and pickups. Theres gold behind those "filters".

12. telehammond

telehammond NEW MEMBER!

Nov 26, 2009
    vermont
    new old epi hawk wood question??

Hi all, new to this thread.....

Just found this '95 Korean Epi 'Hawk at a local store for $225. Great condition, nicer flame top than my reissue. I'm curious about the body though, looks like alder to me, butcher-block style. Definitely not mahogany.

Anyone else ever seen one of these bodies?

It's bright as heck, I had to lower the OBL bridge pickup really far down to make it sound OK. It's also almost a pound heavier than the reissue and noticeably thicker. Very different vibe to the sound overall.

For those who are curious, the pickup switching is as follows:

Straight-up volume & tone pots, the tone pot has a dummy coil on it;

The mini-toggle "up" position gives you a standard single-coil choice through the 5-way switch: Bridge/Bridge+Middle/Middle/Middle+Neck/Neck (all single-coil);

The mini-toggle "down" position gives you standard humbucking Bridge/Bridge+Neck/Neck/additional low-cut (MUD!) filter on the Neck/kill switch.

BTW, there doesn't seem to exist any info on these at Epi or Gibby, but the Gibson M-III wiring is the same:

/http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/M3wiring.PDF

Of course, they wired mine wrong at the factory so I'm missing 2 of the tele tones. Easily fixed.

Great guitars for the money!!!

Attached Files:

13. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Love my reissue Epi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    Joining the club with my SP2, which I've named the "Squirt." Too bad the phonecam's flash made the headstock look yellowish...

[​IMG]

Here's a clearer pic. (pls. excuse the Squirt's bedside partner...)

[​IMG]

15. HarleyDavid

HarleyDavid TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2012
    alittletown michigan
    Here's my '93....(it could be for sale)

Attached Files:

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I gotta admit, this one's tempting for me, the Epiphone model. I like the look, whether the Fireburst, Honey Burst or Amber. The versatility is intriguing. But every now and again, I question how much I'd use the 9 different positions/tones. As it is now with my Teles, I don't vary the selector switch too much during the course of a gig, let alone during the course of any given song.

In your experience, does the versatility of the possible pickup configurations really pay off when performing with the Nighthawk? I can see where it might be more useful in a recording situation, but live? What say you?

17. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Hi LGO,

I'm very much like you in that regard, however, there are a couple sounds that are go to for me. If you pull out the pot and put the blade in pos 1 it sounds a lot like a strat on the bridge pickup only just a little warmer sounding. I find this to be a very useful sound. If you stay on that blade setting and pop in the pot it sounds a lot like a Les Paul.

Those two are worth the price of admission. Additionally if you have the pot pulled and move through the blade settings it gives you a range of strat like sounds. Likewise with the pot pushed in you get a nice variety. In pos 2 you get a nice round Santanna like tone.

It is unlikely you will use all but very likely you will pick a few and use them often.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that you use the settings you mentioned live? The diversity I'm sure is fun, but I'm just wondering how much I'd actually use the range of settings/tones in the course of a gig.

With one of my Teles I have a set of Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups and a 5-way switch. With that I can coax a Strat-like sound, to my ears anyway.

19. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    Though I started this Nighthawk Owners' Club thread around four years ago, I fear that I am no longer eligible for membership . . . I just traded my Nighthawk ST3 for a mint condition Larrivee OM-03R . . . The Nighthawk has seen very little action for a couple of years, and I decided to sell it . . . but no takers, even at a reasonable price . . . so when I got the trade offer, and saw the nice Larrivee acoustic, I decided what the heck, let's do this.

Though I no longer have the Nighthawk, I do still have my Blueshawk . . . . and now the Larrivee as well. No regrets here . . . well, a little perhaps.

Bye-bye Nighthawk . . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Well, that's kind of bittersweet. I mean, congrats on the Larrivee, but sad that your are now w/o a Nighthawk. :(

OTOH, I'm a sucker for P-90s, so that Blues Hawk looks sweet to me! :D

BTW, do you have any pics of the Larrivee to share? Just occurred to me as I wrote this that you may have posted over in the Larrivee club thread. I guess I should check over there, huh?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.