Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Night terrors.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Oct 12, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I forget what that means....

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    It varies. Sometimes I won't have any for a year, sometimes it's several times a week for months. There's really no rhyme or reason.

I'm aware of lucid dream techniques, and they work great in regular dreams/nightmares. These night terrors are something else entirely.

Really, it's nothing you'd ever know was a dream. It's 100% reality when you're in it. Nothing dream like about it. And utterly, deathly terrifying. My theory is that that's why it's so hard for people to wake me up. My brain is convinced I'm already awake. That it's actually happening. There's none of that, mythical beast, the sky is green, first I'm in a car and now it's a boat, and why is Donna Summer making me Twizzler sandwiches?

There is nothing to separate it from reality. And more and more of my dreams are going that way. I find myself lately having to sometimes ask family members or bandmates if we actually did or talked about x, y, z. Because I honestly have no idea if we did, or if I dreamed it. Sometimes I'm absolutely positive I've had a conversation or experience with somebody, and when I bring it up they have no idea what I'm talking about.

The normal stuff is just normal stuff. It's just so real I lose track of what happens when I'm awake and when I'm asleep. It doesn't happen often, and not with anything really important, but it's weird as hell.

The terror ones... I'm not afraid of death. In most of them I wish it would just happen so it would be over.

3. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    Wow man. I've had sleep paralysis on several several occasions. Haven't had an incident in years but in my experiences, I would get an oscillation in my head somewhere around 700 cycles (I did electronic work for 4 decades) and was unable to move anything. Then my phallus would become erect (no joke) and it felt suddenly like bombay doors opened and I had a feeling of dropping downward rapidly and then I'd wake up the next morning. Sure would love to know where I've gone! Ha! On the other hand I have very weird dreams too but nothing like what these terrors are.

Toto'sDad likes this.

4. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe THIS is the dream.

Jakedog and KyAnne like this.

5. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Have you tried smoking weed (indica) before bed time?

6. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    Some years back, I started keeping a "dream book" and Bic pen ready at bedside and when I woke up I'd write everything I could remember no matter how long it took. Looking back and reading them later was startling. Mine were not terrors as yours are, but very very strange. The more I read what I'd been dreaming, the less I dreamed or "remembered" dreaming. A Bible constantly kept open to the 23rd Psalm may help as well.

RetroTeleRod and troy2003 like this.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You name wouldn't happen to be Harvey Weinstein would it? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

KyAnne likes this.

8. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    Did you try sleeping with a good background music?

BTW this night I had a small terrible dream.

It's always unpleasant when you see someone dieing in your dream.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Can say luckily this has not occurred in my bouts. But the paralyzed type are/were most common for me.

10. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    This combination of diaphanous night-garment clad curvy female form and hideous creatures totally messed me up when I was a curious lad in the 7th grade. Thanks for that. I'm calling my psychiatrist in the the morning.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    telemnemonics and ndcaster like this.

11. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

Not only can antiseizure drugs cause this but epilepsy can present this way, especially frontal lobe epilepsy. if you have not already, you should see an epileptologist. I know about this kind of thing.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I have that problem too, but all I have to do is pick up a Tele and it all comes back.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Years ago I had a dream where I found my own dead body, in a sort of dessicated state, dried and crumbly.
    It didn't bother me that it was me and I was dead, but I was pretty upset about what the hell to do with myself, and felt I must bring me with me, so couldn't just bury myself and walk away.
    A dead body is pretty unwieldy, so I broke me in half and stuffed my crumbly self into a box I found.
    Things that matter in dreams make no sense it seems, and I didn't want anyone to know I was carrying a dead body around.

SURF, mnutz and 6stringcowboy like this.

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Vent away Jake.

Jakedog likes this.

15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    You've got just about "every neurotic ailment known to man", you're "pretty clever with the psychology stuff" and you "do therapy" sometimes on others? That's not a scary set of statements whatsoever.

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    My first daughter used to freak us out when she was little (like too young to explain anything) by sitting up in the middle of the night, howling and crying, her eyes wide open, wouldn't let anybody touch her or comfort her. Sometimes I could snap her out of it by taking her down to the bathroom and letting her see the two of us in the mirror; sometimes that wouldn't work either. We could never figure out if she was just crying because of a bad nightmare, or if she was still sort of sleeping, or what, and in the morning she couldn't tell us anything about it. And then it just stopped.

My other two kids never went through that stage.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    This thread being hit so hard so fast makes me realize I am not alone in this by any stretch.

BTW, what I said about maybe I still do this but only the remembering has subsided was confirmed by my wife when she got home. She said is is usually 45 minutes before she gets up too early already for work. Sometime twice in a week, sometimes once, sometimes not at all.

Maybe those days with the 50 mile bike rides are days off from it. ;)

telemnemonics and mnutz like this.

18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    Negative. :)

Toto'sDad likes this.

19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Have you tried logging specific details, such as the types of food you ate prior to bed, including types of beverages, state of mind, time of day, where you slept & other possible things that may influence your situation? With cellphones, it would be really easy to keep track of

20. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    My wife gets those. Poor thing twitches every night when she falls asleep; I feel it in her hands first, then it spreads around and finally that calms down, but then she’ll have the terrors later, while I’m asleep. Horrible sleep most nights; she is so tired.

Her mother used to do the same, and when describing a dream would say “It was a triple feature last night”. Not in a good way for rest, unfortunately.

I’ve got the apnea thing but not the night terrors. I’m sure they are more real than we who don’t have them can imagine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.