Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Night terrors.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Oct 12, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I wonder if I only remembered some of them, and instead of them being gone I am now just not remembering any of them... ;)

>Anyone see the Family Guy episode in which Seth McF wrote in the Night terror bit with Peter. I showed this part to my wife where Lois gingerly just reaches over and ever so gently just taps Peter to get him to stop. We both cracked up big time. Is there anything Seth McF does not incorporate into his storylines/craft??

I will have to check with Lois [no, wife's name isn't actually Lois] But I do not recall her waking me for quite some time...

Half the time I would go into them when I fell asleep, other 1/2 the time seemed more like middle of the night. Make getting any decent rest very difficult.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Jakedog and mnutz like this.

2. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I have weird dreams and wake up and can't go back to sleep, so I sympathize.
    And one time, I had a continuous nightmare, that just went on and on for 3-4 years.
    Luckily for me , this dream sequence ended with me taking charge of the situation in my dream.
    And I recommend this to you.It takes work and some luck to overcome your demons in a lucid dream, but it can be done.

3. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    Seems like I read that anxiety and stress are some of the underlying causes.
    I have a sister that has high anxiety and its usually these two things that are the triggers of it.

Jakedog likes this.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I used to fall asleep driving, day or night, including on the way to work after a good night sleep and morning coffee.
    Had one of those sleep studies in the hospital all covered with wires and they couldn't find anything wrong.
    Later I started taking Kundalini Yoga classes, which are not the relaxing variety.
    Supposed to open up and unblock the Chakra system among other things.
    Totally ended my falling asleep at the wheel problem.
    Not sure it would help but it can't hurt.
    It's a pretty intensive Yoga with lots of core strengthening, a real workout.
    Probably good for the sex life too...

P Thought, Jakedog and mnutz like this.

5. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    What about your 8th/Tele Chakra? That get effected?

6. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2014
    NY
    I've always had weird violent dreams. Pretty horrible stuff, I'd hate to actually detail it to a psychiatrist.

It never bothers me.

Except that time I had a dream a cat scratched up my amp, woke up terrified.

I wish I were kidding...

Jakedog likes this.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    IMG_7804.JPG seems appropriate

mnutz and jimash like this.

8. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK

I get them too sometimes. They can be a symptom of different things. It can even be a condition unto itself if it happens all the time.

Could be deep stuff coming up from the past via the sub-conscious and the unconscious. Or could just be dealing with recent events and working it out that way. Sometimes it's a bit of both (new events triggering old events but deep in your unconscious).

It can really spoil your day.

And it can really throw you out of whack physically as well sometimes. Not just the disrupted sleep. Adrenaline, Cortisol etc.

I've got just about every neurotic ailment known to man (though I'm good most the time, thanks), but this one is a beast, and I'm glad I don't get it too often. Seems to be getting less as I get older, and I come to terms with things, with myself, family, the dysfunction of humanity.

I'm pretty clever with psychology stuff, I even do therapy sometimes to help other damaged people, but the whole night terror stuff is another dimension again.

mnutz and ndcaster like this.

9. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Dallas
    Sucks to hear that. I've suffered something similar for a number of years (thought not to the level or frequency that it seems you have). It's not uncommon for me to wake up screaming trying to get away from something/someone and in almost every single case, that person/thing is literally about to or trying to kill me. I do have sleep apnea, but I've used a CPAP machine for about 3 years and it hasn't really made a difference. They say the lack of oxygen to the brain followed by the sudden surge can cause very vivid dreams. Like I said, no changes for me post-CPAP. But like you said, you are good on the apnea front and you've had this a long time. I think some people are just prone to these things. My brother is a sleep walker and my dad was known to act out dreams. Might be a family/genetic thing. One thing I have noticed, and maybe your life on the road contributes to this, is that your level of exhaustion may be a trigger. Then again, they say our dreams are our brains trying to sort out the reality we have presented them with. Who knows. All I know is that waking up screaming as someone in your dream is literally getting ready to stab you is not a way to make you want to fall back asleep anytime quickly.

Jakedog and mnutz like this.

10. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    On a lighter note, my black girlfriend used to have a recurring nightmare where she was chased down the road by a big black sausage (her words, not mine). She would wake up, sweating, quite distraught really. It didn't happen often but maybe once a month or so.

Yeah, she saw the irony in it, but it didn't stop her from being absolutely terrified. Her heart would be pounding. Funny to talk about in the daytime, but not so funny to experience.

I'm pretty deep in to the Freud stuff (as far as you need to go) and even deeper in to the Jung stuff, collective unconscious, phallic symbols and all that. But it's a load of nonsense really. You can't interpret dreams. Dreams are nonsense.

There's a place you can go when you sleep though, called the astral plane, and that is real, not nonsense at all. And if you become lucid, you can fly and meet with other conscious entities. It's another argument for another day, as they say.

But 'big black sausages'?

Jakedog likes this.

11. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Lucid dreaming is the way to go if you can manage it.

12. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

It's crazy how real dreams can feel.
    How often do you get these night terrors?

Jakedog likes this.

13. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I wake up too early from the ones I'd rather not...

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

15. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That's how I got my Tele mnemonics.

16. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I sometimes fear it will not come soon enough.
    Life is scary, death is just not.

OK so I fear my wife will sell my guitars for- you know the rest.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Sorry to hear about this.

Trazodone, taken at night before bedtime, is an excellent sleep-aid. It also provided a remarkable relief of sleep terror disorder symptoms to someone in a case study.

untitled.png

18. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    I had something similar. I had Grand Mal Seizures as a child and was put on a medication - which I do know what was the cause exactly, but I had nightmares every day of my childhood. Very vivid...fortunately I got over them but it amazes me that I can still recall my nightmares...my sympathies.

19. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    @Jakedog I'm sorry this happens. Prayers sent for you.

RetroTeleRod, blowtorch and Jakedog like this.

20. draggindakota

draggindakota TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    Have you tried any alternative medicines ? Tong Ren Therapy, acupuncture etc?

Could be an underlying imbalance leading to them.

Barring that I would suggest trying some mind control methods (learn to focus and control your own mind and body) . The Silva Method is something that I learned years ago and there are different exercises that would specifically address something like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.