Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nickel vs Chrome Hardware

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Kayle McGuire, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    For any guitars really, which hardware is better — nickel or chrome? What’s the difference, and which is the best choice?

2. GibSG

GibSG TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2016
    France
    I don' t know which one is better, nickel is more yellow.

Dismalhead likes this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I would think it depends on what you like, and what looks best on your guitar.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I like nickel

brookdalebill and Piggy Stu like this.

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    It's hard for me to see but nickel tends to look a little less extreme but will oxidize over time whereas chrome stays shiny but might be a little too shiny and maybe a little too cold looking. Is it more blue? Not sure. I thought fender used chrome tuners on their vintage reissues but the tuners on my old 52 have oxidized over the years. The control plate has not oxidized and it for sure looks to be chrome to me so maybe the tuners are nickel. I just know I prefer nickel because it isn't so extreme looking.

Iago likes this.

6. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I prefer gold hardware, but between the two, I prefer Nickel. It's a pet peeve. Chrome just reminds me of all the crappy cheap guitars I had as a kid. They all had crappy chrome hardware. lol

Nickel ages and patinas, chrome doesn't. I like the way tarnished Nickel looks, but you can also clean it up generally. Chrome doesn't really patina. Just gets dirty, and cleans up easily. Chrome is a bit more durable also. Nickel seems to have more depth to me, chrome is just shiny.

7. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Prefer the look of nickel myself. Chrome doesn't age with character like nickel does.

boris bubbanov likes this.

8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    I think it depends what look you're going for, nickel for that tarnished and 'lived in' look or chrome for hardware that always has a shine to it

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Piggy Stu likes this.

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    They are part of the same process. Usually, chrome plating is applied over a first coat of Nickel plating. Chrome adds thickness, hardness/scratch resistance, corrosion resistance and is more shiny.

For decorative use (guitar parts), the naming is sometimes not very precise. I saw some parts being sold as nickel though they were probably chrome. It's not easy to tell the difference.

I'd prefer the look of nickel, a bit duller, makes me think of silver, whereas chrome makes me think of bathroom hardware. :D

Funny thing is I wanted to buy all the hardware in nickel for my next partscaster. I got the vintage/locking tuners Gotoh SD91 which are Nickel as most vintage tuners. But I couldn't find a nickel control plate or bridge. It seems chrome is vintage correct here. So I bought Fender domed knobs in chrome too instead of the Callahams in nickel, and this saved me enough money to do another build...

However I allways end up buying chrome because I want all the metal parts to be finished the same, and it seems to be easier to find evrything in chrome (except vintage tuners...). There is nothing wrong to mix nickel and chrome, but I try to avoid it, for my peace of mind, and then I forget it.

Fatstring, BorderRadio and Iago like this.

10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin
    You can definitely get control plates and bridges in nickel without having to spend tons of money. Chrome is more redilly available, especially if you order from china, but even then you can find nickel.
    I also prefer nickel as I like the way it looks after being used for a while. The mojority of prople don't feel that way I would imagine. I would imagine most people prefer a shiney new guitar over one that shows its age.

Aside from how it ages, I don't believe there is any difference when it comes to the performance of the unit. Meaning I don't think that a chrome bridge will sound different from a nickel bridge.

BorderRadio likes this.

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Nickel doesn't have quite the sheen, and I thing it looks better. Chrome is more durable

12. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    When held next to each other, nickel will look slightly warmer (slight yellowish tint) while chrome looks slightly cooler (slight blueish tint).

Chrome resists corrosion better, but when it starts to go, it pits, flakes, and looks awful as the plating comes off. Nickel just seems to rust on the surface.

I prefer nickel, for the most part.

Iago likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    FWIW, both Wilkinson and Gotoh sell vintage and modern bridges in nickel. I know I have seen nickel control plates on eBay for not too much also.

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Nickle's luster can "fog/oxidize-over" in humid weather which chrome does not do.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Nickel classy, chrome flashy/trashy.
    Glad I could clear that up.:rolleyes:

rze99 and BorderRadio like this.

16. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Thank you LowThud and Sleazy pot pie, I know it's possible, but I didn't want to make multiple orders from different buyers.

For example I started by looking at Toneshapers.com (I ordered from ACME guitar works in the past and know they were good) for Callaham knobs in nickel, but none of the other parts available were nickel (chrome or Stainless). Plus the shipping from US stores to France is always 40$ or more, and then you add 20% import taxes and 20€ for the paperwork. 100$ for a pair of knobs is more than I'm willing to spend.

So I switched to chrome and bought everything I need from a good seller in France, decent prices, 6€ shipping in two days, except for a wonderfull Hiscox case and the chrome knobs that were only available at Thomann.

Next build maybe... Soon... Oh no, I'm doomed!

17. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Check out eBay in the future. They really do have a great assortment of quality parts from different suppliers. But, with eBay's global shipping system, maybe the shipping will not be that high.

18. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Nickel ages beautifully. Chrome either hardly ages or gets pocked and ugly.

rze99 and brookdalebill like this.

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like nickel, but trying matching any of these with Bigsby polished aluminum. Contrary to what I've heard from others, all Bigsbys, at least the USA stuff, is simply that.

Side note: Squier CV Tele plates are nickel, for the win.

20. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    i like nickel better. i may go ahead (except for my oldest teles) and swap all the chrome hardware out for nickel. it does indeed age better. the eternal bling of chrome isn't a nice look for me.

ymmv.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.