Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nick Silver Pickups - Has Anyone Heard/Used Them?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by johnnycaster85, Jan 11, 2017.

1. johnnycaster85

johnnycaster85 TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    Hi Tele-brothers,

i'm new to the forum, been wanting to join for ages and finally got around to it!!!!!!

i'm currently putting together a Warmoth Telecaster and the age old question of what pickups am I going to use has arisen.

I'm looking for the broadcaster tone with a full twang and sweet cleans! I've used the Seymour Duncan Vintage Broadcaster Tele set (www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-broadcaster-tele-set) in the past but want something a little more boutique and different this time.

After quite an exhaustive search through the Boutique pickup builders I came across the Django set by Nick Silver Pickups (www.silverpickups.com/Telecaster-Pickups/django) which i really like the sound of but i've never heard of before. So i thought i'd ask if anyone has tried or used them and get a little more hands on info about them.

Below is a really cool video with some great tones that got me thinking about these pickups:

Looking forward to the forum's advice and wisdom!

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Those sound good. 150 Euro for the set. But, hey, if they are good enough for Panagiotis Papaporfiriou then they are good enough for us!

3. johnnycaster85

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    Hahaha, yeah i guess so......and the price is really good for a boutique pickup!

I guess the company is still quite unknown since no one has been able to offer an opinion on them. I've spent the last couple of days watching and listening to other vids of Nick Silver pickups and i have to admit all his range of pickups sound really good. I think i might take the plunge and check them out for myself.

Will let u guys know how it goes!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Urshurak776 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    If I were you I'd stay local as in the US. That said, I live outside of the US and two options that I've used are Rose Pickups and Benson Custom. Ken at Rose wound me a Buff Beauty for a Strat and it was great. John wound me a complete set of 5/2 Strat pickups that were equally as good IMHO. I think their sets usually run under $100. 150 Euros + shipping + customs, really? Can't imagine that you would notice that much of a difference in the end.

Of course, there's also Bill Lawrence. Ordering from them can be kinda dicey but the Keystones I put in a Tele were every bit as good as people say they are. Most recently I ordered a Cavalier Lion from Rob DiStefano and it was killer. Ordered on a Friday had it the next Thursday built to order. I've also used D. Allen & EMG for p/u's in my P bass. All excellent stuff.

Like I said, you can't go wrong staying local . . . ;)

6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I have been thinking about getting a set of the keystones. What do you mean ordering from them is dicey?

7. johnnycaster85

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    Well i ended up getting the Nick Silver Django Set in the end and shipping was just under $10 :). Impatiently waiting for them to arrive now, will put them through their paces once i install them and get back to you guys!!!

8. johnnycaster85

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    Received my Nick Silver Django Tele Set today and no customs charges - awesome! They came in an elegant box with really nice packaging. Will get these pups installed as soon as i can and let you all know what they sound like!
    17193885_10154204870485741_393357599_o.jpg 17200626_10154204870625741_320760380_o.jpg

9. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Anxious to hear your opinion as I'm waiting for my set to arrive.

10. paxmad

paxmad NEW MEMBER!

Nov 21, 2014
    Greece
  11. johnnycaster85

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    So thankfully found the time over the weekend to install my Django set of Nick Silver Pickups and my oh my, where do i begin!

First off this set really stays true to the broadcaster sound but there is still so much more to the tone of these pickups. I tested them through a Princeton reverb .

So lets start with the neck, beautiful sweet and smooth treble top end tones, with so much transparency and detail to the sound. The bridge pickup gives you the characteristic tele twang, it's full and has that vintage sound but without the harshness and shrill you sometimes get. And the middle position is absolute bliss, great balance between pickups, you can hear the characteristics of each pickup coming together producing an absolutely heavenly sound. Overall i found these pickups had a very open sound with great dynamics in all the positions and were very responsive when playing chords and single notes and the whole time didn't sound compressed at all!

I know it's only been a few days but i'm really quite bowled over by these pickups. I had heard a few vids of them online and they sounded great but they have really exceeded my expectations. In my opinion these pickups are definitely in the same league as the leading, better known boutique builders and i'm very glad i took a chance on them. I'm now looking at my strat and wondering if it's time to change out those pups, I'm quite tempted to see what Mr. Nick Silver can do for my stratocaster. Let's see what happens! Here's a couple of pics of my Warmoth Tele (swamp ash body and maple neck) just after installing my new pickups.

Heffus i think you're going to love these pickups, let me know what you think once you get a chance to try them!!!

17204500_10154217004400741_914670805_n.jpg

17274537_10154217004500741_793440356_n.jpg

heffus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.