Nice Score this weekend :)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mflores, Nov 26, 2018.

1. mflores

mflores TDPRI Member

Picked up this Squier Affinity Series Tele for $75. It also came with a Fender Champion 20 at no extra cost. Good little starter for my son. :) I'll likely change the pickups; hell maybe even convert it to an esquire.

Attached Files:

2. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Unless there is a specific problem with the pickups leave them alone. I picked mine up for $100, and planned to swap out everything---It didn't even need a setup.

[​IMG]

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Nice find. Try it out stock first, you might grow to like it.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

5. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Great Deal!

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Do a good setup and the pickups will be fine. Over time you may want to swap the pots for CTS and the Jack for Switchcraft. Do that when you decide to add an Oak-Grigsby 4-way switch and get the series option for a stealth les paul machine -- always nice to get a second guitar for $10.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+1 on leaving the PUs..on paper they don’t look good but they work well in this setting.. all the examples I have played have a bridge PU that sounds the business. Perhaps adjust heights and experiment W/ strings to fine tune the sound. I would look for a metal jack plate if not so equipped,the plastic one Fender specs is a weak point.

8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I have two Affinitys (Affinities?) and both of mine are bone stock. I like the pickups just fine. One of the guitars I never bonded with at first, and considered trading it off, but I had a tech do a setup on it-- and now it plays just as well as the other.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

There is however a big difference in Affinity pickups... I immediately liked the string through Indonesian pack tele pickups. Then I got a Chinese 2013 top load. It sounded like sh*t. And it took a long time, and two other top load Affinity guitars (see how I evade the Affinities/Affinity's/Affinitys problem;)) to learn that I might have gotten the one guitar with bad pickups. The others: a 2010 Chinese and 2018 Indonesian top load, which I got less than a month apart. Both sounded great completely stock. So my 2013 must have been the proverbial "lemon" concerning pickups. The rest was great.

In the meantime I got three more string through pack teles that will get different pickups, just to differentiate them all from each other (I got them as vehicles for pickup testing). I'll open all of them and see if any has a routing big enough for a neck P90. I've seen routing for Affinity teles changed a few times over the years. I'll do all that whenever I find the time to do so... (I hope to live for about 35-40 more years, so I don't know yet when I'll do this).

But I stick to my original story: keep the original pickups. I know some people tend to dismiss them because they're ceramics, but I don't see what would be wrong with ceramic pickups. If you don't like them after a few months, you could still change them.

10. mflores

mflores TDPRI Member

Well I'm biased. I've been using Dragonfire Texas Blues a while and love them. Inexpensive upgrade that I think my son would love lol. However he's currently messing around with it as is; may just leave it alone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.