Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NHD - New Hammond Day! B3 Content

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bparnell57, Sep 24, 2017.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Through a friend of mine, a dream has finally come true. I have acquired a Hammond B3, and begin taking keyboard lessons at my university tomorrow.

This organ started its life as a late production Hammond B2, which is basically a B3 but lacks smooth adjusting drawbars, and percussion. It was later factory retrofitted to a B3, with replacement drawbars and preamp (including percussion now).

The cabinet had veneer damage and the legs wobbled due to loose glue joints, so my buddy turned it into a chop, duratex coating the top, and making it so that the legs are held together with bolts and T nuts, for easy transport.

1506310505177.jpg

Currently its missing a cheek block on the left side of the top manual, but I have some walnut that I'm going to make 4 replacements with, which will be painted black. I also need to plane or cut down, and paint, the top of the cover for the drawbars, as the lid has been lowered slightly.

It has some missing tones and intermittent contacts in the keys, but they're coming back with play time, and I can always shift the contact bussbars if necessary.

This acquisition would not have been possible without the generosity of my friend, who gave me a great deal. I only have about $800 into the organ, mostly in the form of traded equipment, including a Wurlitzer 120 in great cosmetic condition, that needed action adjustments and an amp rebuild with power transformer replacement.

He largely gave me this great deal as he needed the space for other things, and since he has another B3 for his personal use. I helped him out a while ago by getting him in contact with a local music store owner, that owns an old defunct gospel church in South Philadelphia, which happened to contain its original hammond organ.

That organ, which I thought was in rough shape, ended up being a near mint Hammond Model A, the first model of hammond ever produced, that was covered in a single easily stripped layer of white latex house paint. I helped my friend move it.

I run it through my Motion Sound R3-147 electro-mechanical leslie simulator, and my stereo pair of Fender 400 PS amplifiers with custom 3x12 cabinets loaded with Eminence Delta 12LFA's, in a closed back 2x12 + open port 1x12 arrangement. Amazing tone.

1506310811136.jpg

I figured I would learn, and why bother moving an M3 twice when I could just jump right into the real deal.

I understand the organ won't be ideal for practicing piano pieces, so today I traded my old Epiphone Dot Pro for a 2011 Yamaha DGX-640 portable grand, featuring hammer action weighted keys, 545 voices (including Rhodes, Yamaha CP-80, and Wurlitzer voices, all of which I particularly wanted), midi, and more.

Slip Kid, Zepfan, Il Duce and 5 others like this.

2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

That's so incredibly amazing! Owning and learning to play B3 is on my bucket list..

3. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    I have an M3 that I would donate to the right home. Pedals don't work, but that's all. Come and get it.

4. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

If only i was closer!

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    If I could do it over a B-3 (or C-3) would be my instrument of choice. I may buy a Roland VR-06 next year just to have a keyboard to play on.

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    B3 or C3 with a Leslie, what a sound!

These guys are fun. I think it's a C3 in this case???

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    If only you had a rig with some headroom. :)

bparnell57 likes this.

8. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    A Hammond B-3 connected to a pair of Leslie speakers was the sound that first made me realize that I HAD to learn to play music. I was about 11 years old and my cousin, 5 years my senior, was making that machine howl and sing and bark on some badass soul riffs that completely electrified me. I will always treasure that sound - a sound you can FEEL. Congratulations. I'm sure you will make good use of it.

richiek65, joshigh and bparnell57 like this.

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Get some fun trio jams going!

Or something cool and simple

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    bparnell57 likes this.

10. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    That's cool!! Congrats!!

11. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    B3 and a PAIR of 400PS?

bparnell57 likes this.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Congrats ! Those things make some noise !

For years my buddy has had a C3 (churchy carvings) and two Leslies (145's ? 122's ?) in his living room.

He's a ripper so the thing sounds great.

I've got an M3 (Green Onions) that sounds great and someone gave to me - and I don't even play !

Have fun with that thing and good on you for taking lessons !

bparnell57 likes this.

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Nice. Would love one. A friend of mine has one, and since they suck to move, he just leaves it at the club where he gigs most often.

bparnell57 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.