NGD

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by lp special, Jul 8, 2018.

1. lp special

lp special TDPRI Member

IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG

G.E. Smith Telecaster in the house!

Attached Files:

DocScotter, Jamie_h, Artslap and 19 others like this.
  2. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member

Congratulations. In my opinion the best stock tele that fender built. I love the honey blonde finish. I am su r that you will enjoy this tele--huge new guitar day!

3. Rocky058

Rocky058 TDPRI Member

Love it ! :D

4. lp special

lp special TDPRI Member

Here's the back story: I'm retired - and play in a band with my son, who plays bass; and another guitarist, drummer, and dynamite female vocalist. My son and the other guitarist were law school roommates. The drummer is the older brother of the other guitarist, and the singer went to high school with the two brothers. The other folks had started a garage jam band - and invited me to play with them about 3 years ago. Since that time, we have played about 6 to 8 gigs per year. We cannot practice much, because we all live in different parts of the state - but have been able to get fairly regular gigs through word of mouth.

We played a St. Paddy's Day gig in the Billings, MT area about 4 months ago. While we were there, we went to every music store in town. We walked into one of them, and my eyes were laser-guided immediately to this guitar hanging on the wall. I have a Telecaster (Squier CV50's) which I absolutely love -- but had been coveting a G.E. Smith for several years. As I bee-lined to the wall, I asked the owner if I could play it. The price was out of my range - but as I played it, I fell hard. The neck was fantastic, the pickups sounded great, it checked all the boxes. While playing it, I explained to my bandmates what it was, why it was unique, and how increasingly difficult they had become to find on the used market. The owner came over and told me the guitar had been on consignment for over 9 months, and that in the entire time it was on the wall, I was the only person who had actually known what it was.

We left the store (and the guitar) that day. I discussed purchasing it with my wife several times - and got the "conditional" ok - which I decided to pass on at this point. I talked frequently to my son and other bandmates about it - and had decided that if we gigged in Billings again, and the guitar was still there, I'd take the plunge. We have a gig in Billings scheduled for late August - so I resigned myself to waiting it out.

Fast forward to last night. We set up for a gig and we're doing a sound check, running through a few things. My son says "Dad, your guitar sounds weird, it's buzzing or something, can't you hear that?" I was playing the Squier CV. I said I couldn't hear anything wrong - checked amp settings, cord, retuned. He then said "You can't hear that?"

Just then, the other guitarist said, "Look, I hear it too. Try this (and put a tweed case on the floor in front of me)". I thought it was HIS Tele that he was asking me to use. He flipped open the case, and the pictures above are what I saw!

The band had pooled resources and purchased the guitar for me! I was completely overwhelmed by this - and remain so! I really have no words to describe the emotion I felt last night for those fine people. I am so humbled to be able to play with these folks (and my son - which is cool, in and of itself), and am on a complete high. To add to this, last night's gig was probably the best we have ever played! It was one of those magic nights when everything clicked.

Sorry for the long story - but this is much more than just a NGD for me, and I wanted to share the gratitude I feel with all of you.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very nice!

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That’s an awesome guitar and an even better story.

Johnson johnson likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Awesome story! You are so blessed to play with people who apparently love you! And HNG day!!

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Outstanding. Congratulations on a beautiful guitar, and a bunch of awesome friends. Cheers to you all.

- D

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Very cool guitar, and an even cooler story.

HNGD! :)

10. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member

Cherish that guitar and your friends!

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Oh man, my dream Telecaster!!

So good.
    Play her in good health!!
    ;)

12. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Enjoy your new guitar. She's a beauty!
    Treasure your friendships and the time with your son. Those moments are priceless!
    Thanks for sharing!

13. omni43

omni43 TDPRI Member

Where do you live? I used to live over in Roundup many years ago. Left in 1982. I was over in Billings all the time.

14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Cool guitar & story, congrats!

15. lp special

lp special TDPRI Member

Near Great Falls currently - moving to Helena area soon. We are spread out all over the state, however.

16. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

but the buzzing, what about the buzzing, did you fix the buzzing ?
    great story !

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  17. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

No need to be sorry for sharing such a great story! Wow, that is a beautiful guitar and an even more beautiful gesture. It is little surprise your band had a such a great gig - talk about good vibes flying around between all of you. The power of generosity, love and friendship is a heady mix. Congratulations on all fronts - may you, the guitar and your band keep making great memories.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  18. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Hope you get he fret buzz fixed! Bit of a coincidence, but lucky, that the band had picked up your dream guitar for you that very same night!

Happy NGD.

19. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great story and a fine guitar. I remember when Fender first released this model. I'd never seen a Tele bridge pickup mounted directly into the guitar body.

Congrats.

20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Right on, congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.