Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD..wtf....was supposed to be a blacktop modded

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bftfender, Feb 12, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Honest no BS post..i won a Fender Blacktop on Ebay last week and this showed up at 8pm from UPS...just checked seriel..its a 2014 or 15....what do i do...i really wanted the humbuckers cause i got singles out the wazoo...thing is gorgeous tho..

Attached Files:

• 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      195.5 KB
      Views:
    • 72a.jpg
      72a.jpg
      File size:
      196.4 KB
      Views:
    Iago, PCollen, Smiff and 2 others like this.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Wow. Really sorry to hear that. Send it back. Ebay should cover this, no problem. I wonder if the person or company you won it from accidentally packaged up the wrong guitar? Maybe you can still get the one you won?

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I am no expert.............but that ......... doesn't looooooooooook like a blacktop :eek:

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Looks like a Squier CV Thinline...with a new neck...

5. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    Not a regular Fender, but not a FSR that I've ever heard of either. Rosewood board in a '69 style Thinline is not something they've offered.

boris bubbanov likes this.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    It's a pretty simple mod, really. All's ya gotta do is swap out the body and the neck. And the pickups. And the pickguard. And the wiring. And the hardware. Basically everything but the clearcoat.

eallen, schmee, horax and 14 others like this.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I was just gonna say that's one hell of a mod.

Nickadermis and SonsOfMoog like this.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    More likely wrong box got sent.

telemnemonics likes this.

9. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2015
    Florida
    Someone got a cool blacktop that they didn't want---that's why I don't buy guitars online---good luck with getting it fixed!

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    just played it...then played my 50's classic lacquer....guitar is a real good player..it came from FL from aguy with a bunch of guitars..is it a 72 thinline ? i checked seriel and here is response

Your guitar was made at the
    Ensenada Plant (Fender), Mexico
    in 2014 or 2015
    Production Number: 452970

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    The body is a 69 thinline. My guess is a Squier CV Thinline. A look at the pots will tell the difference between Squier and Fender. Neck doesn't belong on that body, so it has been swapped. The Fender and Squier 69 thinline reissues all have maple boards.

12. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    I took a search on eBay and Reverb for ya. Most MIM thinlines online are 6 block saddle type. It's increasingly likely that's a Squier body. Other than checking the control plate, the neck pocket stamp may provide more info.

bftfender likes this.

13. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    this has become interesting...i am a purist to a degree....but this thing sounded good in a 68 CDR..i had to keep comparing with my 50's classic..it is a good sounding guitar....the neck has me weirding out..where is my stripe ? i honestly cant find a thing wrong with it. the blacktop i was supposed to get i bid on and won as the only bidder. should i just keep it ? and mess with ...i seem to agree with the pups in this whatever they are..its a rock machine vs my 50.s, its deeper and its raunchy//so it fills a void in my sonic space between my guitars

14. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    thanks for helping out, bridge has Wilkinson on it..doing my search it seems the body looks like the squier..i will admit it is flawless..one of my fav guitars ever was my Gibson es 339 and this has that raunchy sound to it...i might just keep it cause its dif..i dont like tho the neck plate is scratched down to metal like a scouring pad..and a fender mim serial number is on the headstock

15. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    If you plan to keep it, ask for a partial refund. A partscaster is worth less than a stock Fender. It's a happy bonus that it plays and sounds great. Go with your gut.

bftfender likes this.

16. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Look, I don't know nothing. My wife keeps telling me that, so it must be true.

But I don't recall seeing that dark natural tone in a Squier Thinline, or Tele TL, in the 69 or 72 versions. I only remember a lighter natural.

Again, I don't know. Just going by memory.

17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Keep it. This is providence. I always miss it when it happens to me, but can recognize it when it happens to others.

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Get a partial refund. Use that money to put buckers in one of your less inspiring teles. Win-Win ;)

19. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    this coud be it, been interesting figuring this out, don't want to take it apart yet. Fit and finish is nice..i keep holding my Classic 50's and Am strat and i just have a weird feeling..i know i am psychologically whacked now on this one..cause i was ripping it up when i played it soon as i got it. if anything, i just learned the squier bodies are pretty nice

20. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Not as described. If you're being upfront with us...

If that's the case, just file claim for not as described. Pretty simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.