Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: WL-12

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by maggieo, Mar 8, 2018.

1. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Thanks to my friend Aram's suggestion, who has played Ribot's '35 Gibson L-00, and has one of his own; I've got a brand-new Waterloo WL-12, which is a ringer for the far more expensive Gibsons my boys have.

Waterloo, for those who don't know, are made by Collings in the same factory where the rest of the Collings' line is made. Only the Waterloo guitars are meant to be like the Depression-era "department store" and low-end-of-the-line Gibsons that were popular with blues cats and troubadours.

Here, I'll let the website copy explain:

It's a great, and like they say, punchy, little guitar. Definitely punches above what you'd think it would. Not a Jumbo by any means- my Dove is much, much louder, but plenty loud enough for small rooms and recording. I like that it's got a timbre that works really well for triads and single notes as well as full chords. It's kind of Jazzy, in a Leon Redbone kind of way. (Hummmm, might have to name him 'Leon" now...)

It really does capture the vibe of Aram and Ribot's guitars, and I only had to trade away three guitars to get it, instead of five or six!

And now, a pair of photos:

[​IMG]
    Waterloo WL-12, March 08, 2018
    by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Waterloo WL-12, March 08, 2018
    by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

john kleeman, uriah1, LocoTex and 7 others like this.

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    It’s a beaut! I must try one out for myself some day.

Cheers,
    Geoff

maggieo likes this.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Congratulations

maggieo likes this.

4. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Really great looking guitar. I really want to find one to try out at some point. There is something about a small body acoustic I love. Enjoy it!

maggieo likes this.

5. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Thanks, guys!

The small body is great, it tucks right into the body. Still on this Waterloo, way bigger sound with surprising projection.

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Nice guitar.

maggieo likes this.

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    My style of acoustic...smaller body, 12 fret neck joint & a 1 3/4” nut width

maggieo likes this.

8. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    Very nice. Love the "old-timer blues box" look.

maggieo likes this.

9. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    And it's built like 'em, too. I can see some glue and I feel the grain on every piece of wood.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Cool! The thing I would suspect is this...that glue you see was pretty common over application (as you probably know) because of "not-perfectly-fitted" dove tails and other bracing imperfections in the original department store guitars...but that I'm guessing your guitar's dovetail and bracing was probably trimmed and fitted with care...eliminating the kind long term warping that causes extreme relief in the neck.

Bet it sounds good in a campfire strum! Congrats!

maggieo likes this.

11. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    I've got a 30's Regal parlor guitar, and Collings has definitely captured the vibe, inside and out. With the glue, it's more like they just didn't bother wiping it away, to give it just a bit of mojo, without compromising the instrument.

It's a great little strummer and I love how single notes and triads just leap out of it.

william tele likes this.

12. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Kinda surprised Collings would have any glue visible even if the guitars they are emulating did. Still, I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Waterloo’s.

Cheers,
    Geoff

william tele likes this.

13. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Hence, the Waterloo brand. IIRC, Collings makes guitars of similar sizes and woods, but with their obsessive attention to detail and intricate inlays.

william tele likes this.

14. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    So, I've been playing the Waterloo exclusively since I got it (well, duh), and when I picked up my white Bowery Pine Tele, which weighs just under seven pounds, it felt like a boat anchor. I can hardly believe how light this WL-12 is. It's almost nuts.

william tele likes this.

15. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Congrats! a WL-12 was my first Waterloo, liked it so much,.. the WL-14 was soon to follow.

[​IMG]

william tele and maggieo like this.

16. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    What differences have you noticed between the two?

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Sweet. Congrats. I love the tones of the OOs. I have an Epi EL-00 14 fret and an Eastman 12 fret parlor. Always had my dreamer eyes out for an L-1, but your Waterloo looks very interesting too. Enjoy.

18. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    WL-12 has more bottom end (12 frets to the body) and a clear voice, it's louder and has a quick attack. I have a Sunrise pickup in the WL-14 and it's my gig guitar. Couldn't choose between the two,.. the Waterloos get almost all my playing time.

19. Alcohen

Alcohen TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2010
    San Francisco
    Nice! Just played a new Martin 00-17 yesterday. Very similar looking, I wonder how they compare.

20. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    These Waterloos are so much fun to play. I have a WL-14 in black. It's become my favorite guitar. About the excess glue, I've read in a couple different places that it is left there intentionally to help capture the vibe of those old guitars. Whatever the reason, it's ok by me.

maggieo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.