Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Wildwood 64 AVRI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ladave, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Congrats.

ladave likes this.

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    The 3 ply pickguards were not white from 1959 to 1965.I have seen many color pictures of them taken during that period that prove it.They were a faint grayish/greenish color.As they aged they yellowed thus appearing even greener over time.If you think about it,when white ages it turns cream and gradually yellow...white cannot turn green because of age.So there had to be a slight greenish tint to start with that got greener with age as it yellowed.
    Here is some photo evidence.This a Fender catalogue picture of their brand new guitars.Notice the contrast of the white knobs against the slightly grayer/greenish tinted pickguards:

cat_1965fender_full_page06.jpg

Check out John Lennon's Strat(granted it was a few years old in the picture):
    1961-fender-stratocaster-guitar-john-lennon-beatles (1).jpg

rze99 likes this.

3. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

Thanks for that post and pics.

great Lennon snap haven't seen that one before. That Strat is gorgeous.

4. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland
    Those Jazzmaster's My fav player after the Tele of course.

sonny wolf likes this.

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/V1739367/american-vintage-thin-skin-64-telecaster-5/?cat_id=230

Just saw this go up - I swear it wasn't there even as recently as yesterday. But for anyone else who was so inspired by our friend, the OP's awesome purchase, this sure seems like an awesome guitar for the price.

I have an AVRI 64 so for me, it's too similar, even with the subtle differences in fretboard radius, fret height, twisted tele pickups and color. But good lord, if $ was no object, I wouldn't be able to lay off of this.

ladave likes this.

6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    That one also looks great

7. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    I have 17 years experience in digital photographic reproduction. Ive worked on color calibration, color scanning and reproduction and color conversion in various color spaces.
    Trying to prove color with photos is problematic. Digital photography did not exist when those photos were taken. So those were actual hard copy photos that are probably faded themselves since they are so old. The photos, likely faded, were scanned at some point and that results in its own color discrepancies. Then you are viewing them on your monitor/phone which is introducing more color errors.

So when it comes to photos as evidence of the color of the pickguards, Im gonna have to disagree with you and go with the people who have seen those guitars over the years. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/whats-the-story-on-mint-green-pickguards.355687/
    What Ron posted here about color is 100% correct. He worked in photography for many years and has seen those pickguards with his own eyes over the years. Ive never seen one of these pickguards in real life but I will trust the people who have over an old scanned photo. Also the chemistry of it makes perfect sense.

This has already been argued over before in the above thread so I dont see much point in discussing it further. Agree to disagree I suppose. Those who are curious can make their own decisions.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    The key aspecst in the old "mint" pickguards was the black layer and the translucence of the white.

Ever see a vintage tele with its original 1 ply guard look even remotely green ?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    USA

Had to share this because Greg savages this guitar, but the new posting is already gone. These seem to sell as quickly as they can stock em. Beautiful guitars. Hope my path crosses with one someday.

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Beautiful guitar
    A minor curiosity for me that I can't stop myself mentioning is, why did Fender make this with neck pickup adjustment screws? It is period incorrect. Same as the pick guard without a neck end adjustment slot. Does that assume a neck pocket holed out for humbucker under there? Are they just using up parts?!

11. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    So beautiful!!! (except for mounting the neck pickup on the pickguard, F that!)

12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    WW sold through 10+ vintage white '64s in a week. I think a lot of folks found this run attractive.
    Most of the necks fell in my 'Goldilocks' (.85-.87 at the 1st) zone and were lightweight to boot.

i hesitated for a day and they were toast. Picked up a lightweight '72 Custom with a 'Goldilocks' approved neck but would still like to find a'64...

Congrats on the new axe!

13. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    That's a beautiful Tele - I wouldn't change a thing on it!

I have a Thinskin Jazzmaster from a run that Dave's had a few years ago. It's one of my all-time favorite guitars.

Enjoy that Tele!!

14. Heyitsmejoeg

Heyitsmejoeg TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2015
    NYC
    Wow. If it play as good as it look you got an awesome spankin’ plank
    Rock that tele !!!!!!!!

15. Frenchie63

Frenchie63 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2017
    North Wales
    When Wild wood did the FSR "thin skin" 62s 10 years ago, they gave you a choice of pickguard. Pity they aren't doing it with this run.

Your 64 is stunning mind. If it were mine, I would probably screw the neck pickup to the body and add a 1 ply white pickguard.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 7:27 AM

16. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    That photo of John Lennon playing a Strat is rare, and it's epic! That had to have been during the studio sessions for Revolver because it was during those sessions that Fender gave John and George matching sonic blue Strats.

I think at the time of the photo, that Strat was new. The headstock looks just like that of an early '60s Strat, which makes sense.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 9:50 PM
    sonny wolf likes this.

17. Frenchie63

Frenchie63 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2017
    North Wales
    I believe the matching sonic blue Stratocaster's were purchased by the Beatles roadie Mal Evans. According to Andy Babiuk in his Beatles gear book, Georges has a neck date of December 61. John's is currently on the missing list but it was a slab board 61/62 model.

18. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    That's one great colour, and rare with that shade of cream with the RW imo, very nice!!

19. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    These went so fast that I missed seeing any listed for sale on Wildwood's site. Anyone know what the price is on these?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.