Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD unidentified tele C.A.R? Or Torino red?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Quinn23, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Hi. I have aquired a new tele, that has been relic'd and tagged with decals.. i can see the tell tale trap tuners have been replaced, and the bridge. Others at the squier talk have identified the bridge pickup as mexican.. I'm just having trouble finding, a c.a.r squier (1998 rosewood fb neck) also, the jack socket plate is oval not round. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's not CAR. Either Fiesta Red or some other color name Fender used.

And those photos even look Burnt Orange.

But why are you saying Squier? That neck doesn't indicate Squier.

3. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    How can you tell with photo colour? Its notoroiuslt hard to photograph colour. This body has been badly sanded. Its not orange.
    The date stamp looks squier, ive seen quite a few necks, and to me it looks squier..

4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It does not look like CAR to me either - but you’ll have to judge because you’re the one who can see it. It is indeed very difficult to tell from a photo.
    CAR should have a semi-metallic sheen (because it’s translucent red over a silver base coat) and has quite a deep red hue, whereas Fiesta Red is a solid colour and can be quite orange-y / pinkish (& can look very like your photos).
    The neck doesn’t look like it’s either American (would have a wooden truss rod hole plug) or Mexican (would have a plastic truss rod hole liner) so it could well be a relabelled Squier neck.

5. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
  6. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Ok. Thanks.
    Yes, it looks pinky.. and not metallic.
    And yes, the reason why i thought it was a squier apart from the date code at base of neck, was the truss rod hole.
    Its quite a heavy body that looks solid from the places i can see cross sections. Maybe it could be any other make..
    Thanks.

AAT65 likes this.
  7. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Possibly Torino red.?. i found a 1998 squier catalogue pdf, it looks possible its an affinity torino red.. i recognise the look and feel of the neck, as ive seen another two or three squier necks from this date. The 90's affinities are pretty nice.

AAT65 likes this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That could well be it IMHO.

Quinn23 likes this.
  9. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Thw bridge/bridge pickup looks to be a replacement tho?

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia

Ok, this is in response to the comment about color, and it’s coming from someone with a degree in photography.

It isn’t notoriously hard to photograph color if you understand color temperature (talking degrees kelvin) and the different temperatures of various light sources. The lower the temperature the warmer (yellow/red) the overall look the lighting in your photograph will be. You picture looks orange because it was probably lit with a Tungsten lightbulb. Tungsten bulbs rate something along the lines of 2800 degrees kelvin. Your eyes might not recognize this, because the human eyes and brain are miracles basically in terms of adjusting to varying light. On the kelvin spectrum the most “natural/white” light has a temperature of around 6500 degrees kelvin, which lucky for us, is basically the light from the sun on a slightly overcast day.

So, if you want true color in your photos, and don’t want to bother with balancing your photos- take the photos outside on a slightly overcast day.

AAT65, Quinn23 and RoyBGood like this.
  11. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Excellent, thanks for your knowledge. It will be very useful.

12. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    And use a camera that does not shift colors, hues and contrasts automatically the way most cell phone cameras do unfortunately...

Even then best bet is you look at the photos and decide if they match the guitar color in person. Unfortunately (again) different phone screens and different computer monitors will still often render the colors and hue differently...heck even the iPhone 8 and 10 use ambient light to adjust the hue of the screen nowadays...

(I’ve been a photographer for 43 years, and worked in a few color photography labs, done a decent amount of studio product photography and have used Photoshop pretty much right after it was renamed from Barney Scan!)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I dealt with color during my career. Definitely not CAR. Torino red was used a lot during the 90s. My wife had a MIM Torino Duo-sonic from that era. Torino red is a hair bluer than Fiesta red. Fiesta red appears more orange from the yellow in the paint. Dakota red seems too dark from those pics, but Dakota looks more like CAR without the metalflake in it. My 0.02

Quinn23 likes this.
  14. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    I don't think that's a fender body. Control plate is not parallel w/ bridge and the pickguard is to small or body is to big

15. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Hmm interesting.. the plot tickens.. i wonder what then.. yes, the scratchppate thing.. the jackplate and non-flattened jack area.. strangely, the back of the neck has red pain marks and the obvious squier date stamp tho, ans looks and feels (to me) like other late 90's squiers.
    It is soon to be refinished and re-worked, so this look will be history.. thanks for the comments.

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    When I was into film, in a studio setting for a cheesy sepia effect, I used tungsten lights and daylight reversal film.

Sigh...the good old days.

17. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    My class was the last to be taught to develop film in a darkroom in my college.

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I used to develop my own reversal at home. E6.

At the time, Cibachrome had a fantastic kit called Rapid E6. Only three chemicals, and the temp control requirements weren't ridiculous.

I still have all my Pentaxes and M42 lenses, and a few years ago, I was thinking about getting into it again. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a chemistry kit like that.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Could be Fiesta Red, and I've noticed a lot of variation in Fiesta Red, from a strong pink or orange tone to a slightly brighter version of Dakota Red with a bit more yellow.

Especially as that picture seems to be taken in a darker environment.

20. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The body is definitely NOT Affinity. The basebal jack cover is wrong, and an Affinity wouldn't take a classic bridge without holes being visible (or repaired) behind the bridge (no signs on the pictures). The 1997 and 1998 Affinity were string through, but still the bridge was different.

The neck might be Squier... 1997-1999 Affinity guitars had rosewood fretboards. And the stamp looks Squier-y.

Which kind of makes sense to me... if you like the neck, but don't like the body (like the later ones were top load - in production from november 1998), change the body. If it is an after market body or the body of some other brand tele copy, guessing for colours is pretty useless.

Quinn23 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.