Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Tokai Breezysound TTE55

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by CaineIsCarter, Apr 2, 2016.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Newcastle
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This arrived a lot earlier than I was expecting this morning, as I was still nursing the hangover I brought upon myself from last night ;)

First things first: I have no interest in provoking a debate/argument about whether a copy either can be or is as good or better than your Fender. As you can see by the other guitars in my pic, fancy names on the headstock are as important to me as the next man, but I am offering my opinion of this guitar on its own terms, and as someone who has owned a reasonable number of instruments, including Mexican, Japanese and USA Fenders, over the last 25 years.

This is an astonishing guitar. As far as build, fit and finish are concerned, this is the single best electric guitar I have ever seen. It is almost perfect. I'm slightly sickened to have to report that it in this regard, it trumps my Gibson ES-335 63 reissue, which cost £3300 compared to the £700 I paid for this Tokai. I hope you can see the quality in the pics. The fretwork, binding, hardware, paintwork and nitrocellulose lacquer are all beautifully done. The tuners are very high quality and feel very precise (again, much more so than those on my RI Gibson), and the pots are silken. I took the volume and control knobs off and was very satisfied to feel how weighty and substantial they were in my hand.

It has a 2 piece Swamp Ash body, maple neck and rosewood board, a bone nut and Gotoh hardware. I don't know much about pickups; I am not a modder, and all I can tell you is that the pickups are called Gotoh Vintage Pickups.

Having a gorgeous instrument is meaningless if it doesn't play and sound good, and in terms of playability, this Tele is light years ahead of the USA Standard I had until fairly recently. It has a superb action and feeling of liveliness and responsiveness that my last Fender lacked. It also sounds fantastic; there's a chime and snap to the noise it makes, and there's not a trace of harshness to the bridge pickup.

I am blown away by this guitar. I have such respect for what Tokai have been able to produce, and for £700 it represents incredible value. For me, it is a much, much better instrument than the Fender American Special Tele which was also on my list of potential purchases, and which I managed to try out at length earlier this week.

I think that in order to buy a guitar of this quality and sheer musicality and which has Fender written on the headstock instead of Tokai, you'd have to find over three times the amount of money than I paid for this. The Fender would almost certainly be a better long-term investment, but if you're looking for a guitar to play and be delighted with, I can't recommend this highly enough. Hope you like the pics :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Tony474, ddhr, PaulieBoy and 3 others like this.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Happy New Guitar. I have a Tokai TTE70RR in rosewood veneer over what they claim to be swamp ash, and like you I find the construction, finish, general playability and sound nigh-on perfect. I also own five other Teles including a Japanese TL52-US and an AV62RI. The Tokai and the Fender Japan (itself very likely a Tokai build) rather eclipse the American guitar. You made the right decision. Enjoy!

CaineIsCarter likes this.

3. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    Nice guitar! Is that a Vox AC15? My favorite amp!

4. CaineIsCarter

Apr 29, 2013
    Newcastle
    Thanks Tony, and Clifton - yes it is, an AC15C1X with blue alnico speaker. It's my favourite amp too.

5. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    You don't have to convince me about Japanese Tokais.
    It's just another confirmation of the 'copy and improve' fact to me!

PS congrats. :cool:

Tony474 and CaineIsCarter like this.

6. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2007
    Spartanburg,S.C.
    That looks incredible. Nice grain and the neck looks so nice. Are those clay dots?

7. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful! Can't go wrong with a MIJ Tokai. (Now you should try one of their Gibson copies, which may make you feel even worse about your 335 :( )

CaineIsCarter and felis like this.

8. CaineIsCarter

Apr 29, 2013
    Newcastle
    I don't know if they're clay dots I'm afraid.

I wouldn't quite say I feel bad about my 335 :D It is a work of art and I absolutely adore it, but there's no getting away from the fact that the Japanese company takes first prize in the fit and finish department. I think my next guitar will indeed be a Tokai Les Paul (or Love Rock, as they very endearingly call them) - I've been looking at them for a little while, and they are awesome.

MatthewDickin likes this.

9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Stunning! well done sir!

10. MatthewDickin

Indeed they are. I have an LS150; one piece mahogany back, proper flame maple top and nitro finish, top-end hardware and electrics ... It's the best LP I've ever played and that includes £5k guitars from the Gibson Custom Shop. If you buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Looking at your new Tele, I'm seriously envious ... That is a heck of a deal at £700!

11. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium

How about a Springy? ;)

12. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2009
    Burslem
    Wow! That Tokai Breezysound is something else....swamp ash..nitro
    finish..bone nut...and the quality of that rosewood board....just an incredible instrument and for £700 unbelievable.
    Got a 52 thinskin nitro with custom shop pickups and with a set of Bare Knuckle pickups that Tokai Breezysound would no doubt be it's equal....certainly a keeper.
    Saw the same spec Breezysound new on EBay and thought with a set of Bare Knuckle ("staggered 68" grey bottom sixties rosewood board era) pickups it would be killer.....once again congratulations what a catch what a beauty what a fine Telecaster.

13. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

That is a great looking guitar. Congrats.
    Also thanks for the review, I will keep an eye out for one.

But I do have to say, £700 pounds isn't chump change. (Even if I don't really know what £700 pounds is in real money.)

Happy New Guitar Day!

14. PaulieBoy

PaulieBoy Former Member

Mar 28, 2016
    gone
    Sir, I'm here to ask your permission to date your guitar.

CaineIsCarter and decal like this.

15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    In real money £700 is seven hundred pounds Sterling. In US dollars it's just under $1,000 at the current rate. Although our price includes 20% VAT, so I'd expect you to pay around $850 or so. Very reasonable for such a quality instrument.

16. decal

decal Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Great write-up, excellent photos!
    Mission accomplished! You're set for your Tele needs,
    and I now want one! Beautiful!

17. MatthewDickin

I don't think you're alone... Everyone who sees this thread will want one, too!

18. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    I hope not, its quite convenient Tokais are somewhat disregarded by others. :D

Tony474 likes this.

19. bmce

bmce TDPRI Member

I have always wanted a Tokai Japan and I search regularly for them on the Internet. They are elusive and most UK retailers do not ship to the US. Do any members know of a UK or AUS store that will do so?

20. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.