Ngd times two...dearmonds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Mar 21, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

My last guitar purchases this year. I'd say ever as a joke, but I guess it *could* happen as I start making more and buying fewer.

Waiting on an M72 and M77 from two different places today - they're just happening to arrive on the same day.

Not in a rush, just like the packages for the price (average of about $350 plus shipping for the two) and the opportunity to try a flavor of the single coil pickups and the humbuckers.

String Tree, nojazzhere and Shuster like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great guitars!
    Looking forward to seeing them!

3. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lets see some pics when they land, I just bought a Eastwood Backlund 200, which may be my last this year too. My wife is buying a new car, so there goes that extra cash:(

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Click bait! I don’t see any DeArmonds so nothing happened :twisted:

djh22, Piggy Stu, ce24 and 1 other person like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I hope you like them! As I've said before, the DeArmond I had (don't remember exact model) was BEAUTIFUL, well made, and sounded really good.....but the neck was just too thin for my tastes. Even though I have relatively small hands, I need a baseball bat-sized guitar neck. But I do hope you enjoy yours!

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Pictures tomorrow, perhaps. Opened both boxes last night amid a visual migraine and couldn't see, but as my vision was clearing up, the guitars turned out to be much straighter and much nicer than I'd expected.

Perhaps not all of them are dead straight after 15-20 years, but the two MIK guitars that I got are as straight as I've seen any set neck guitar this side of a collings.

7. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Astonishingly good guitars.. here's pictures of the m77t. Really far better guitars than I'd have expected. Workmanship is on par with a l.p. standard.

I'll post a picture of the m72 separately.

Attached Files:

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats !

I’ve long wanted one of those. There’s some with the Gretsch orange stain that they made for a second. They can be notoriously heavy though.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

This one is supposedly chambered and is still a little over nine pounds.

I've seen some of the non chambered versions around the same weight , so they must vary.

The post earlier about the neck profile was right, it's a little on the slim side. The profile on the m72 is more full and vintage feeling . Not sure how they went about making decisions on that kind of thing.

The pickups in this one are super polite, but without seeming transparent or boring. They break up nicely and have a really nice balance.

It has a little bit if the butt heavy les Paul feel where it tends to slide off your outside leg a little and try to run away

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Stupid e AGAIN. i got a call from a guy I knew who had a Dearmond like a Guild Starfire IV. and I played it in the large pawnshop. Everyone stopped to hear it and what a fool I was. That guitar was better than a PAF 335- I swear. Stupid me.$995 AUD.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Would you say it's overly bassy if you compare the bridge pickup to a Tele bridge pickup?
    These are cool guitars I've resisted for an awful long time, and now there are lots of them second hand.

I was looking at a low priced Guild of very similar design the other day, nice tall frets made it very attractive, but no cash flow ATM.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Are these made the same or almost the same in the same factory as Gretch and Guild models?
    I forget what the crossovers are.

13. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Nice guitars ... MIK ???
    I really would like MIK quality to stay under the radar so they remain bargains ... Selfish me ...

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think all of the newer dearmonds were made in indonesia, or at least some of them. I think there is some parallel with some guild and/or gretsch models - you can tell that some have similar elements, knobs, etc with the only difference in some parts being the letter that's in the overlay on the top of the knob. Guild guitars seem to get their own pickups instead of the USA dearmonds, though - at least different covers.

I could only find hard information on the guitars of the era this one was made - late 90s to early 2000s. They have two cost considerations in them - a scarf neck, and I can see that the back is three piece on this guitar. Sometimes they go for $300 used (I paid $395), and those things are no problem at all at that cost level. Oh, plastic inlays, too, instead of mOP or plastic with MOP or abalam insert. But the work is so neat that I don't care. For $395 - I *really* don't care at all. If you ever have the urge and you find one at the right price, I'd give it a try.

I"m sure not every one of them is perfect, but both of the guitars that I got are very straight and cleanly made. (both are MIK).

I can hardly keep track of the different models from guild, gretsch, etc, now that the guitars are made overseas in various countries and have different pricing tiers. Workmanship on these seems to be in line with the current MIK dangelico excel line. Those are also really nice, and seemingly destined for low used value.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Yep, the older ones, most of them are MIK. There are a couple of indonesian guitars floating around, but most of the listings I see are MIK.

I agree on the value. Nothing MIK seems to have staying power, but that creates a real opportunity on used guitars.

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Variety, you won't find out until you try both.
    Hope both of them work out Great for you.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Glad your happy with it—it’s not just the pickups that were great:) I’m still gonna get a Sparkle Champagne model if I ever find it again..

DeArmond was the brand Guild owned and used to make their offshore, affordable guitar lineup in the 90s. Guild itself was owned by FMIC at the time. Almost all DAs are based on Guild models, which are kinda Gretsch-like in the first place. There really wasn’t any crossover besides the parallels in the vintage models. FMIC eventually sold Guild and branded some of these guitars as Squier before dropping them altogether.

Seems the pre-FMIC MIK/MIC Gretsch guitars were all over the map design- and feature-wise. The pre-FMIC Double Jet I owned, my first Gretsch, was Pre-FMIC, and a well made guitar, but MIC, not MIK like many of these DeArmonds were.

D_W_PGH and telemnemonics like this.
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great guitars. Id like to find another champagne sparkle w/bigsby and single coils again some day. Always keeping my eyes open ;)

Enjoy!

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'd say in terms of comparing the neck pickup to a telecaster, I'm not completely sure which is bigger sounding. The pickups do seem balanced output neck and bridge, or somewhere relatively close compared to what you'd find in a les paul.

The neck pickup sounds big, but balanced and not bloaty like a telecaster can sometimes be. The bridge pickup is tolerable and kind of nifty sounding because it's not that high of output compared to the neck.

20. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

D_W_PGH and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.