Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD The Holy Grail of Telecasters

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Watto, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    I'm not too familiar with the esquire sound , but I think if you remove the 3.3k resistor that's in series with he .05 cap and wire the cap directly to the switch ,you could get some nice results, also play with the value of the cap maybe 0.022, or .01 or even lower , the smaller the cap the less bass . It's all just trial and error , you can always put it back ;)

Just remember that the pickup being played with in the Broadcaster is in the neck position, and yours is in the bridge, so the characteristics will be different from the start

2. twang junkie

twang junkie TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    london
    That's a great help Watto, thank you, I'll do some experimenting and let you know, you've made me want a black guard now.

3. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    No Probs, let us know how you go, I'd be interested in the results

I've been a blackguard fan since childhood , one of those dreams of owning one , it's taken 46 years and a personal loss but it's come true.

I now know what all the fuss is about, it's not hype, they really are amazing. My poor little 56 is feeling rejected at the moment :lol:

4. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland

5. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    No "almost" about it here. Great story and congrats! Hope to see/hear her someday...

6. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats Watto on a fantastic acquisition. Yes, The Broadcaster would really have to be the Ultimate Holy Grail for Tele collectors, so it's nice to see one out and about.

7. Monoamine

Monoamine TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2009
    UK
    real beauty there mate.... congratulations!
    could we have some more detailed shots of the fretboard? i'm a sucker for genuine wear :)

8. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    There's no better way to honor a parent than how you have. Congrats on the purchase but, I'm very sorry for your loss. Prayers going out to you. May that guitar be WELL-PLAYED in your Mom's memory.

Great purchase!!

9. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Wow, now that is special.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    But it's all dirty and nicked up. I hope you didn't pay full price! ;)

That is a pure wonder. Most of us could spend a lifetime and never even see an original Broadcaster let alone own one. Thanks for sharing those pics. That's a dream come true.

11. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    I told Nacho I want it repainted so it looks new, but he refused :lol:

But seriously it is a dream come true, and all my years of reading about them and drooling over them in books, I never once thought I would be privileged enough to be "custodian" of this beauty (you never own them, you just look after them for a period of time )

I have gigged it 5 times myself and let a few friends gig it as well, It is being used as Leo intended and not being locked in a vault somewhere. I thank Nacho for letting me be the next lucky person to experience this beauty . It is well loved and well respected.

If you are in Australia and are going to see the "The Baby Animals" play the "Coolangatta Hotel" on the 15th March or the "Eatons Hotel" in Brisbane on the 14th March 2014 , you may see the amazing Suze Demarchi giving it a great workout ;)

12. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2011
    south carolina
    My wife's cousin lives in Coolangata. He's always postings pics of himself surfing Snapper, Rainbow Bay, etc. I've never met the guy but I hate him already.

13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Beat to hell beautiful!

14. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    It is a beautiful part of the world to live :D

15. cutter2001

cutter2001 TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2012
    That's the most beautimust guitar I have ever seen. Truly inspiring!

16. johnnykazz

johnnykazz Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2012
    Reading, PA, USA
    Terribly sorry about losing your mother, my condolences.

That is a beautiful Broadcaster, does it have the original blender wiring?

17. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    It has the original wiring setup, but I modified it to make it more useable, The bass position was too bassy so I played with the cap values to get it where I could use it, I'm happy with the sound now and use it often, I find this gives the best results for playing live, I also love the blender instead of tone pot .

back on page 4 post #75 is a wiring layout of what I've done :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.