Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD The Holy Grail of Telecasters

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Watto, Dec 9, 2013.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Watto, I'm in Brisbane - whereabouts on the GC do you play?

2. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Valencia SPAIN
    it got to the right place

Hey Mark this post made my day. I am so happy this Broadcaster made it for you. I believe she is now where she belongs. Your excitement in getting this guitar made me go back to think about the reasons why we all love these things and how special they really are. In this case, its double special as it is the tribute to your Mum.
    Its a great musical instrument and I enjoyed playing music with it for over a decade.
    I sincerely hope you enjoy it for years to come.
    Thanks again!
    Nacho.

3. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    Thankyou Nacho,
    You have made my dreams come true and my mourning bearable. I thank you for your generosity throughout this whole period.
    The history oozes out of her, she has had a fantastic life with so many stories to tell.
    Thanks again for being patient (It's not that simple getting a guitar from Spain to Oz, the money transfer is a nightmare)
    I will respect the guitar and all who have owned and played her before me.
    If not for you Nacho, this never would have happened.... respect :D

Now I'm getting ready for her first gig , W3stie , I'm playing at a street fair tonight called Miami Marketta , it a fantastic venue, where all the restarants in the area come out and sell their local quisine , there's local beers and wines and a live bands . it's free entry and they invite the whole family, very very cool place. We'll be on from 5 - 9, if you want great food , great atmosphere and great fun it's worth the trip. They've just opened a version in Brisbane "Eat Street Markets" at Hamilton , we are trying to get into that one as well

cheers
    Watto

4. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    Hi Folks,

I gigged "Bebby" last night, it was an amazing sound coming out of the amp

My friend in the audience sent me this

[​IMG]

My review.

The guitar sounds huge , I run it through my own version of a 5F4 super with a 1 x 12 instead of 2 x 10 and it has 6SL7GT preamp tubes instead of the 9 pins. The neck pickup has a fullness in all aspects of the tone spectrum, very rounded (not flubby) bass great mids, and just enough top end to compliment the bottoms. A perfect all round tone,

The bridge has a sting that is Pure Tel yet not ice picky, it too has a nice bottom end, though as it's next to the bridge it has a bite that is very P90 esque, not too twangy but tele all the same

The Bass setting or 3rd position on the switch is great for Jazzy/Western swing styles (we play a couple) but it does drop in volume, and not just a little bit, it's quite considerable and noticeable, that would be my only criticism of this guitar

I find myself using the volume knob on my 56 to change the feel of the guitar and add dynamics of light and shade to my playing, but with "Bebby" I didn't touch the volume knob all night (well I did at first before I realized I didn't need to) . It is SO responsive to pick attack and how hard you hit the strings. I found myself building a song and when the time came to drop it down in a dynamic change all i had to do was pick lighter. This makes it a very versatile piece of gear. I ended up setting the "Blender" knob back to about 8 on the dial , the Volume on 10 and only ever switching between the neck and bridge pickup. It gave me the freedom to concentrate more on what I was playing and not having to adjust the settings as much , I'm an old school player in the sense that I use the guitars controls instead of pedal to make dynamics. I set my pedals that there is no volume change when I turn them on, the only volume change I use is with my ClinchFX booster. this is a clean boost with no tonal change. I kick that in for solos.

In conclusion, Bebby actually made me use my pedals less, I didn't need a "just on the edge breakup" all I needed was to dig in harder on the guitar and the breakup happened. It's a versatile all round tone machine that is MUCH better than I ever could have imagined. I got many comments on my tone (not my playing haha) and how rich it sounded. Some regulars asked me what I had changed and I said "nothing other than the guitar " and the all said, well I'd be playing that one more often :) (they had no idea what it was, they thought it was just another tele.

Thankyou Nacho once again, I can't thank you enough. And thanks mum, I pulled some licks out last night that surprised myself, I know you had a hand in that.

Sorry I keep waffling on but this for me is the pinnacle of my life's journey in music.

regards
    Watto

PS, sorry for my ugly head in the photo :lol:

PPS, I should have changed the strings with the new set Nacho sent my, I broke 2 during the night , I don't know how long they had been on the guitar , lesson learnt :p

5. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Watto - sorry for mum's passing.
    When my grandma Dot passed a little more than 20 yrs ago, I went through something similar (though on a less epic scale) and continue to enjoy the sortacaster you see in the avatar next to my name.
    Dot had a sense of patience and humor, so she graciously accepted the Bigsby a few years ago.
    I'm hoping your mum was a little more stern and you *won't* hit that Broadcaster w/ a drill or any mods beyond an occasional string-change.
    Peace - Deeve

6. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    String changes and maybe a refret in 20 years but otherwise she stays as is Deeve

I'm glad I'm not the only one to pay tribute to loved ones this way :D

7. Mahalo

Mahalo Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2005
    Manly Beach
    Awesome score Watto, enjoy in good health.

8. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2011
    West Virginia, U.S.
    I am sorry for your loss, and happy for your gain, wow!

9. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    Wow that's really cool! Nice axe bud

10. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2011
    south carolina
    When you said "It's not a Telecaster," I was looking through the photos and thinking, "What's he talking about? It sure looks like a Telecaster to me."

Then I saw the headstock and knew what you meant. Very nice.

11. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    My wife didn't fall for it when I told her "all I need now is an original Blackguard Tele", but it was worth a try :lol:

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Amazing. Congratulations. The Broadcaster is my favorite as well.

13. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2012
    Midwest

14. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2008
    Okinawa, Japan
    Well not everybody can have a Telecaster!

15. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    I've gigged the guitar 3 times now and every time it just gets better,
    I have 2 issues with the original Broadcaster wiring which became more noticable when gigging than just noodling around at home.
    The first is position 3 or the bassy position, I found that the volume drops considerably compared to the other 2 positions and also it is too bassy, I was looking for a big box jazzy type feel, but it was just too much. so I experimented around with Cap Values and resistor values.
    After a lot of combinations I came up with the "recipe" that suits me - maybe it will suit some of you too.
    I ended up removing the 15k resistor completely and replacing it with a piece of wire . This made the volume drop virtually nil when switching to position 3 .
    I also tried a few different caps to lessen the bassyness. I ended up going with the 0.01uf , it's great in that it's still holds some tops yet still sort of simulates the big box guitar sound, perfect for western swing.
    The higher the cap, the more bass so you may find you like the 0.02 or 0.03 instead or even something smaller than the 0.01, it's just personal taste.

2nd I found that the blend pot was a little too subtle being 250k , I use a blend pot system on some of my strats and that uses a 1m pot. so I thought why not try it. It worked a treat as you can now blend the neck pickup almost fully in. It gives you a sound that is almost the same as the modern tele position 2 of both pickups on, much more than it did before. now all I have to do is wind the pot down and it's there + you are able to control how much a lot more.
    The setup works great and I'm very happy with it . As this is a player and my main guitar for gigging I have set it up for me, (all original parts are safely stored away)

I drew the layout for you in case anyone wanted to try it out. it may not be your thing but worth a try. I've called it "Watto's mod" as that is the recipe that suits me , but experiment, you may find a different combination of resistor and cap.

remember the lower the resistor the less volume drop , on no resistor is the least volume drop you can get

These mods didn't do anything to the characteristics of the pickups in the other positions (with the blend on full) and it's easy to reverse if you don't like it.

regards
    Watto

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

16. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

Hey Watto, sad to hear about your Mum. Sorry.

Great story about the guitar. It's awesome!

BTW, where/how can I find out more about your amps?

17. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    Cheers mate,

Personal message me with your email and I'll send you some info, I hand build each one at a time, the lot electronics,woodwork everything .

I was going to build a website but word of mouth keeps me busy enough.

I'm happy to rave for hours about amps , it's a sickness :lol:

18. hectors-bell

hectors-bell Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2013
    Massachusettes
    My deepest sympathy for Bebby and my greatest congratulaions
    On your Bebby! Wow and wow wow WOW!!!! Is that simply
    Amazing looking! Cangrats again and happy playing!
    Oh yah Merry Christmas too!

19. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2011
    Australia
    Thankyou so much, and Merry Christmas to you and all the members here who celebrate it. ;)

20. twang junkie

twang junkie TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    london
    This is brilliant Watto, would the replacement of wire instead of a cap work on my Esquire? The drop in volume is a killer it's too much to make that position useable, what wire would I need? I'm no genius when it comes to electronics but I could handle a soldering job

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.